I dont know what to do for the rest of this cycle.....

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JD=Doctor

I dont know what to do for the rest of this cycle.....

Postby JD=Doctor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:28 am

Accepted full or close to full$$ at

Loyola -top30
Peperdine - top30
Cordozo - no stips

W/L at ucla ...assuming this means no $ if i get in? im right below both medians but the dean seemed to like me and other parts of my app were strong

still waiting on usc and LS #18-24
3.7x 166

in 6 yrs from now i want to be in LA .... i can tolerate NY for my first few yrs.

Should i be pushing ucla/usc at sticker >> how bad is dozo` (even with a full ride) -- would a living stipend make it worth it? im scared of the top30% stips which makes me not want to consider loyola/pep

words of wisdom appreciated.... and when i become president of the united states i will remember all those on TLS who helped me =)

northwood

Re: I dont know what to do for the rest of this cycle.....

Postby northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:38 am

Where are you from ( california?) NYC is very expensive. Your cost of living will be easily 20l a year. Not to mention, assuming you are from the west coast, it will cost a lot of money to travel home.

If you are WL at UCLA i think you will be out of scholarship consideration.If you want to go there, consider taking the february LSAT to help you get of their waitlist. It might also help you with negotiating scholarships stipulations, but you will have to talk to each individual school about that.

Find out how far 'dozo places. If it doesnt place where you want to work, dont go. IF you think you might like NYC, make sure to visit there for a bit and check it out. See if it is right for you. If you want California, i would say to stay in california, but just do your research and make the decision on your own.

best of luck!

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:56 am

northwood wrote:Where are you from ( california?) NYC is very expensive. Your cost of living will be easily 20l a year. Not to mention, assuming you are from the west coast, it will cost a lot of money to travel home.

If you are WL at UCLA i think you will be out of scholarship consideration.If you want to go there, consider taking the february LSAT to help you get of their waitlist. It might also help you with negotiating scholarships stipulations, but you will have to talk to each individual school about that.

Find out how far 'dozo places. If it doesnt place where you want to work, dont go. IF you think you might like NYC, make sure to visit there for a bit and check it out. See if it is right for you. If you want California, i would say to stay in california, but just do your research and make the decision on your own.

best of luck!

Thanks for the response!!

If i decide Dozo` is a top choice then i will definitely haggle for a living stip.
With this economy its just not so easy to know if graduating at the median from ucla will get you any jobs that can help pay off that 120K

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:03 am

JD=Doctor wrote:Accepted full or close to full$$ at

Loyola -top30
Peperdine - top30
Cordozo - no stips

W/L at ucla ...assuming this means no $ if i get in? im right below both medians but the dean seemed to like me and other parts of my app were strong

still waiting on usc and LS #18-24
3.7x 166

in 6 yrs from now i want to be in LA .... i can tolerate NY for my first few yrs.

Should i be pushing ucla/usc at sticker >> how bad is dozo` (even with a full ride) -- would a living stipend make it worth it? im scared of the top30% stips which makes me not want to consider loyola/pep

words of wisdom appreciated.... and when i become president of the united states i will remember all those on TLS who helped me =)

If you end goal would be to practice in CA, I'd do some research on Cardozo's CA placements. I'm not certain of their exact placements, but I'd be willing to guess their CA presence is lacking.

EDIT: Grammar fail.
Last edited by BrownBears09 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:08 am

If you want to live in California stay there - there is nothing a Cardozo JD will do for you there - AFAIK. NYC isn't a city you live in to tolerate - you live in NYC because the idea of living anywhere else seems impossible. Life in NYC is too expensive and challenging to get up to speed on if you don't embrace it. One thing - NYC you will have smaller living space than you are used to in California and probably more expensive. And who knows if colleagues you meet in NYC will be able to help you in California.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”