UGA vs. W&L

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timmah427

UGA vs. W&L

Postby timmah427 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am

I've been accepted and offered scholarships by both Georgia and Washington & Lee. I'm still waiting on a few T25 schools, and I think I have a decent shot of getting into at least one of them, but let's assume I get handed the alternative scenario and have to choose between UGA and W&L.

I'm from Texas and am hoping to work here. I think I would have enough connections in the law industry here that I could make this happen. However, which of these two schools would have a better reputation nationally?

If I do end up working near the school that I attend, which one of these would offer me better job prospects in its respective region? I'm leaning towards Georgia on this one, as I think I'd rather practice in Atlanta, but I'm not quite as knowledgeable about W&L's prospects in its region.

Or should I just take the easy way out and opt for SMU? I honestly hate the idea of going there since I can't stand the place, but a big scholarship and its decent regional reputation might make it an attractive option...

Thanks

fathergoose

Re: UGA vs. W&L

Postby fathergoose » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 am

timmah427 wrote:I've been accepted and offered scholarships by both Georgia and Washington & Lee. I'm still waiting on a few T25 schools, and I think I have a decent shot of getting into at least one of them, but let's assume I get handed the alternative scenario and have to choose between UGA and W&L.

I'm from Texas and am hoping to work here. I think I would have enough connections in the law industry here that I could make this happen. However, which of these two schools would have a better reputation nationally?

If I do end up working near the school that I attend, which one of these would offer me better job prospects in its respective region? I'm leaning towards Georgia on this one, as I think I'd rather practice in Atlanta, but I'm not quite as knowledgeable about W&L's prospects in its region.

Or should I just take the easy way out and opt for SMU? I honestly hate the idea of going there since I can't stand the place, but a big scholarship and its decent regional reputation might make it an attractive option...

Thanks

Ah I can speak to this as I made the same sort of choice last year.

W&L is a phenomenal school, great campus, and an alumni base that will go to bat for you. On the downside it was a little to remote for me, and I knew I was coming back to Texas. So I took the money and went to SMU but it was a coin flip. Go to the ASW at W&L for sure. It was far and away the best school to visit.

I wouldn't go to UGA unless you want to stay in Georgia.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”