If this guy is insane, what am i?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SHANbangs

If this guy is insane, what am i?

Postby SHANbangs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144780

So I was recently accepted at UIUC with 90k total. I am still waiting on other schools, but with my stats I am unlikely to crack the top 18. I'm extremely happy about the UIUC + money offer, but... I also just got hired for a job that, in my opinion, is a rare opportunity. I say this because the job is in non-profit consulting and it pays 50k/yr, with what I am told strong upward potential. I myself am 22, an international relations grad with an unremarkable gpa, and my last job was as a tutor, so you can maybe see why I consider myself extremely lucky.

What do you think is the better option economically? I don't have a particular preference to... do anything. This is not to say that I am lazy, but having never been an attorney or non-profit consultant, I have no idea which job is right for me. Big Law hours sound pretty scary and small law debt sounds miserable. The upside to the job is that I can earn legit experience and skills that will open doors for me in the future, or even give me a shot at a decent MBA, or make me a more qualified candidate for better law schools. However, the major risk to the job is that I get laid off before I've earned sufficient experience, and then i'd be a little bit fucked.

TyrodTaylor

Re: If this guy is insane, what am i?

Postby TyrodTaylor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:46 pm

you have an LSAT score already, this work experience can only improve your application. You can also save money and lessen the blow of any remaining debt you have. Try it out for at least a year, if you dont like it or dont see the rewards, then you can still go to law school. Dont have regrets.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 pm

Law school will always be there, this job won't. You said, "I have no idea which job is right for me." Take the job and find out. If it's not for you, then go to to law school.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:48 pm

"Non-profit consulting" ? Is that fund-raising ? What are your primary job responsibilities ?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:"Non-profit consulting" ? Is that fund-raising ? What are your primary job responsibilities ?

I was just thinking the same thing. I've never heard of non profit consulting

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 pm

sounds like business consulting for non profits. Something I always watned to get into. Y'all hiring anyone else? ha.

LurkerNoMore

Postby LurkerNoMore » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Take the job offer. You think it might be interesting. You might be right, or you might be wrong. But if you go to law school instead, you will wonder about it. Going into the legal profession down the line is relatively easy -- you go to school and the slate is largely wiped clean. Going to law school and then trying to jump out is generally much harder. 90k in scholarships leaves you with how much in student loans still? I'm guessing enough that when you graduate you can't go chasing rainbows and butterflies, but will have to follow the money.

SHANbangs

Postby SHANbangs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm

I basically tell non-profits how to fund raise, because apparently, there's some "shitty fundraising going on in this city."

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:20 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:Law school will always be there, this job won't. You said, "I have no idea which job is right for me." Take the job and find out. If it's not for you, then go to to law school.

yeah your score is good for 5 years...I'd take the job for a couple of years. you may or may not get another 90k offer at a T30 school, but I guarantee you will get a good scholarship somewhere decent. and the job market may have stabilized by then.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Defer and take the job

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:24 pm

SHANbangs wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144780

So I was recently accepted at UIUC with 90k total. I am still waiting on other schools, but with my stats I am unlikely to crack the top 18. I'm extremely happy about the UIUC + money offer, but... I also just got hired for a job that, in my opinion, is a rare opportunity. I say this because the job is in non-profit consulting and it pays 50k/yr, with what I am told strong upward potential. I myself am 22, an international relations grad with an unremarkable gpa, and my last job was as a tutor, so you can maybe see why I consider myself extremely lucky.

What do you think is the better option economically? I don't have a particular preference to... do anything. This is not to say that I am lazy, but having never been an attorney or non-profit consultant, I have no idea which job is right for me. Big Law hours sound pretty scary and small law debt sounds miserable. The upside to the job is that I can earn legit experience and skills that will open doors for me in the future, or even give me a shot at a decent MBA, or make me a more qualified candidate for better law schools. However, the major risk to the job is that I get laid off before I've earned sufficient experience, and then i'd be a little bit fucked.

work for a few years, retake LSAT ED to Northwestern

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:25 pm

SHANbangs wrote:http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=144780

If you don't know if you want to be a lawyer, then don't go to law school. In general, it sounds like you're not sure what career (law, consulting, or otherwise) to pursue.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Borhas wrote:work for a few years, retake LSAT ED to Northwestern

Did you even read the post? Or do you just have a generic copy/paste reply?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:27 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

androstan

Postby androstan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:30 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 pm

Congratulations! Take the job and see where it takes you.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Retake the job.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Law school applications have been high in recent years because of the down economy making admissions incredibly competitive, but the October 2010 test showed the biggest year-over-year percentage decline since December 1996. I think things will come back down a bit in the next few years. If I weren't as ancient as the very mountains, I'd be waiting a few years for application volume to recede before applying. Especially if you have the opportunity to get some good, relevant work experience. Pay your school debts, pay off your car loan, travel a little, then reapply. Or not.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm

OP: I know a few people who have taken jobs with non-profits at similiar salaries. Just make sure that you understand your job duties before foregoing law school. Everyone that I knew in non-profit positions were primarily fund-raisers from wealthy families even though their job titles were not as clear-cut as were the expectations. Can be good experience that leads to a great paying position if you rise up the ranks. Or it can be a short term stint for those who don't like asking others for donations. Good luck !

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Even if you work for 2 years then decide it's not for you then you're entering law school at about the average age for 1Ls in my experience, at least at better schools, which is ~24. In the meantime yeah maybe you think about getting that LSAT up a few points, can't hurt right? I say take the job.

nigelfrost

Postby nigelfrost » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:51 pm

One of the best decisions I ever made was working for a couple of years before starting law school. I saved money, enjoyed non-scholastic living for awhile, and had MUCH more energy the first year than my peers who went straight from undergrad to law school. Now, obviously, I have no idea about what "would have been," but I've yet to regret the job experience.

Take the job.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Take the job, rest your brain from school mode. Your LSAT and gpa will be there( I think you can use your test results from up to 5 years out from the time of application). This job offer wont. You will be able to save money and figure out what you want. If you like the job, thats great!. Worst case scenario is you hate the job, and leave next year. You will have more money in the bank, and will be able to see how things shake out for a bit. You will be able to be a young professional, and go out and enjoy living and working. Law school will always be there- all you have to do is reapply to the schools you are really interested in. Just because you got in with a great offer now, doesnt mean you have to take it.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

both, mostly the latter

gmail

Postby gmail » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Last edited by gmail on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:48 am

Take the job. Work for a few years and then retake the LSAT.

I took a few years off after UG and used that time to gain interesting work experience and pick up a few unique soft factors. I also gave the LSAT another shot and dramatically improved my prospects. I can point to few other decisions that so profoundly impacted my life.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”