PvMvDvNvG for Gov't/Clerkship/PI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Blindc1rca

PvMvDvNvG for Gov't/Clerkship/PI

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:49 am

I'm interested in working for the gov't (e.g. EPA), also in a (hopefully Art.III) clerkship, or prestigious Public Interest job (SPLC, ACLU etc.). I understand the extreme competitiveness of these fields, so let's please skip the lectures about how impossible it is to get such work. I get it.

I have been accepted to Penn, Michigan, Duke, Northwestern & Georgetown thus far. I'm held at Harvard, which is most likely an eventual WL/Reject. I'm still waiting on Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, Virginia, & Cornell.

Of the schools to which I've been accepted, I'm interested in hearing which school would not only give me the best shot at such jobs, but also which school's environment is most conducive to my career interests, and which school has the sorts of courses/clinics that would allow me to tailor my education in such a way.

Thanks antemano!

BruceWayne

Re: PvMvDvNvG for Gov't/Clerkship/PI

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:52 am

Harvard, Yale, or Stanford would make a difference for government/clerkship or PI. Outside of that it really won't matter within the top 14. I'd actually pick based off of who has the strongest LRAP and which school's location would make it easier to do things like internships during the school year; and where the agencies come on campus to recruit.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Harvard, Yale, or Stanford would make a difference for government/clerkship or PI. Outside of that it really won't matter within the top 14. I'd actually pick based off of who has the strongest LRAP and which school's location would make it easier to do things like internships during the school year; and where the agencies come on campus to recruit.

Thanks. Between Penn/Duke/Gtown which has the best location/LRAP? I have a hard time understanding the subtleties between LRAPs, although it seems that Georgetown's is pretty darn good. Also with regards to what you said about location which of these three wins?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:37 am

Blindc1rca wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Harvard, Yale, or Stanford would make a difference for government/clerkship or PI. Outside of that it really won't matter within the top 14. I'd actually pick based off of who has the strongest LRAP and which school's location would make it easier to do things like internships during the school year; and where the agencies come on campus to recruit.

Thanks. Between Penn/Duke/Gtown which has the best location/LRAP? I have a hard time understanding the subtleties between LRAPs, although it seems that Georgetown's is pretty darn good. Also with regards to what you said about location which of these three wins?

This is something you have to research yourself. Where are the agencies you're interested in working for located? I'd guess DC would be the most likely location for PI out of the one's you listed. As far as LRAPs go you really have to read the fine print. The one's that totally forgive whatever they loan you each year after that year is up--plus one's that don't require you to do IBR-- would probably be a good way to start. However, you need to look at the fine print on things like how they handled people who are married, people with high savings, people with children etc.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:48 pm

According to the clerkship data I have reviewed and the conversations I have had, Penn has the lead in clerkship opportunities out of the schools you mentioned. Also, the location of the clerkship is likely to be influenced by where the school is located. So I think NU has a better shot with Article III judges in Illinois than Penn does, in case that matters to you.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:56 pm

These schools are all pretty much equal. Georgetown will give you a better opportunity to network in DC and try to grab one of those agency jobs. GULC is underrated in terms of public interest. But other than that I think Michigan is great for public interest. Duke and Penn barely send anyone into public interest jobs (6.7% in Gov/PI combined for Duke) so I think those should be out of consideration. Personally, I would choose between GULC and UMich. Of course, if you get into NYU, you should go there.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 pm

bdubs wrote:According to the clerkship data I have reviewed and the conversations I have had, Penn has the lead in clerkship opportunities out of the schools you mentioned. Also, the location of the clerkship is likely to be influenced by where the school is located. So I think NU has a better shot with Article III judges in Illinois than Penn does, in case that matters to you.

Penn isn't exactly known for high gov't/public interest placement though.

My completely unbiased opinion says Michigan. Roughly a quarter of the class last year did clerkships/gov't/public interest work.

You should probably not even be factoring Cornell into your equation, but all the other schools you're waiting on could be contenders.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
bdubs wrote:According to the clerkship data I have reviewed and the conversations I have had, Penn has the lead in clerkship opportunities out of the schools you mentioned. Also, the location of the clerkship is likely to be influenced by where the school is located. So I think NU has a better shot with Article III judges in Illinois than Penn does, in case that matters to you.

Penn isn't exactly known for high gov't/public interest placement though.

My completely unbiased opinion says Michigan. Roughly a quarter of the class last year did clerkships/gov't/public interest work.

Yeah, I have no interest in PI so I was only commenting on clerkship opportunities.

Penn does have a public service requirement and the Toll center, though I know next to nothing about Toll and requiring students to do PI seems to indicate that they wouldn't do it otherwise.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out the whole LRAP thing too (definitely interested in PI and considering Mich, GULC and Cornell among others). When I visited Michigan last summer, though, I had an informational interview and asked about the LRAP. The rep described the LRAP but said that it all will probably be different by the time I graduate, because the federal gov't is working on some reimbursement program for students who do PI after school (not just law school, undergrad as well I think). The implication was that Michigan and other top schools would likely be switching to that and abandoning their LRAPs (or adjusting them to fit the federal program). Therefore, I'm not sure how to evaluate any of the LRAPs I'm looking at.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the whole LRAP thing too (definitely interested in PI and considering Mich, GULC and Cornell among others). When I visited Michigan last summer, though, I had an informational interview and asked about the LRAP. The rep described the LRAP but said that it all will probably be different by the time I graduate, because the federal gov't is working on some reimbursement program for students who do PI after school (not just law school, undergrad as well I think). The implication was that Michigan and other top schools would likely be switching to that and abandoning their LRAPs (or adjusting them to fit the federal program). Therefore, I'm not sure how to evaluate any of the LRAPs I'm looking at.

Hmm... Never heard of this... Intrigued now...

Also, Berkeley is now in the equation :shock:

oakroom

Postby oakroom » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I'm still trying to figure out the whole LRAP thing too (definitely interested in PI and considering Mich, GULC and Cornell among others). When I visited Michigan last summer, though, I had an informational interview and asked about the LRAP. The rep described the LRAP but said that it all will probably be different by the time I graduate, because the federal gov't is working on some reimbursement program for students who do PI after school (not just law school, undergrad as well I think). The implication was that Michigan and other top schools would likely be switching to that and abandoning their LRAPs (or adjusting them to fit the federal program). Therefore, I'm not sure how to evaluate any of the LRAPs I'm looking at.

Income-based repayment.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:

Also, Berkeley is now in the equation :shock:

With Berkeley in the equation, I think this starts to become more a question of where you want to work post-grad.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”