Just visited some friends at GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aqualibrium

Re: Just visited some friends at GULC

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Veyron wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Maybe there is some selection bias, like the only people who would be your friends are elitist douchebags who think they are entitled to the perfect life on a silver platter, and hence fail at life?

This has been discussed above. Basically, you might very well be correct that my friends in general are "elitist douchbags," as you put it. However, my friends at non GULC T-14s have tended to do quite well so I doubt that is the issue.

Perhaps that says it all. Your friends at other t14's are there because they are elite. Naturally, they will do well. Your friends at GULC are there because they are GULC material...

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Veyron wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:Maybe there is some selection bias, like the only people who would be your friends are elitist douchebags who think they are entitled to the perfect life on a silver platter, and hence fail at life?

This has been discussed above. Basically, you might very well be correct that my friends in general are "elitist douchbags," as you put it. However, my friends at non GULC T-14s have tended to do quite well so I doubt that is the issue.

Columbia Law, is that you?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:56 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Columbia Law, is that you?

Penn is not Columbia brochacho. However, Columbia Law was hilarious.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Marionberry wrote:I figure this is probably common knowledge, though probably not to the people to are always GULC trolling, but the Class of 2009 placed 42.8% into Biglaw (NLJ250), with most of the rest of the T14 placing somewhere in the high 40s or low 50s. GULC's placement was a hair better than Cornell's. Given the handful of possible factors contributing to this discrepancy (higher PI/govt placement, grads gunning for saturdated markets) I just don't see where the "OMG, GeorgeTTTTown is teh dregs!" sentiment comes from. I'm open to any evidence that actually indicates that, but I never see any of these claims really substantiated with anything other than second hand accounts of striking out at OCI.

Marionberry wrote:We're not talking about stats published by law schools, we're talking about stats published independently by the NLJ. I haven't seen any discussion about NLJ numbers being inaccurate.

Also, re: Patriot, yeah youre right in that numbers last year were probably worse, and they might not have been much better for this year's OCI crop. I just hear so much hyperbolem similar to OP, that I try to see if any of it is grounded in fact.

NLJ numbers aren't so much inaccurate as they are out of date.

Class of 2009 did OCI in fall of 2007, did their SA gigs (and theoretically got offers) in summer of 2008. How many fewer spots are there going to be this summer than there were in summer 2008? According to this post that did the math, the big firms in Chicago were down from 809 summer associate positions in 2008 to 256 for this past summer; so there were fewer than a third as many SA gigs as the class of 2009 had.

While 1) That's for Chicago, not for DC or any other market, and 2) things could bounce a bit from then, I think the point is that the numbers, even the most recent ones, will not be very good predictors of what things are like for class of 2010, 2011, 2013, or the current applicants who would be class of 2014. Citing class of 2009 NLJ numbers just doesn't reflect where things are right now.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Class of 2009 did OCI in fall of 2007, did their SA gigs (and theoretically got offers) in summer of 2008. How many fewer spots are there going to be this summer than there were in summer 2008? According to this post that did the math, the big firms in Chicago were down from 809 summer associate positions in 2008 to 256 for this past summer; so there were fewer than a third as many SA gigs as the class of 2009 had.

It will be interesting to see the class of 2010 numbers. I believe they are due out in February.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm

nealric wrote:

It will be interesting to see the class of 2010 numbers. I believe they are due out soon.

Yup, gonna real interesting (and probably an absolute shit show on TLS, which should be great fun). Last two years they came out February 22nd and 23rd, so we're probably a month or so away.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 pm

nealric wrote:Lol. I graduated from gulc and was there last semester for my LLM. The "vacant looks" thing is utter nonsense.

Some people need to get a life :lol:

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Veyron wrote:

You clearly have something against GULC? Don't you have better things to do? Seriously?

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Some people need to get a life

I'm stuck in a hotel with little to do at the moment. Don't worry, I have plenty of a life waiting for me when I get back.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Wat da fuck is wrong with GULC dicksuckers in this thread? It is widely documented on TLS that GULC was OCI pwned, thats some basic shit. DC was crazy and GULC pumps out 500 graduates a class.

I heard someone put the numbers between 30-40% offers, everyone agrees.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:20 pm

It is widely documented on TLS that GULC was OCI pwned

lulz. I'm so glad that everyone agrees that TLS is a fountain of scientifically verified knowledge.

Wat da fuck is wrong with GULC dicksuckers in this thread?

I don't know. But you seem to be awfully passionate about the subject.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:Wat da fuck is wrong with GULC dicksuckers in this thread? It is widely documented on TLS that GULC was OCI pwned, thats some basic shit. DC was crazy and GULC pumps out 500 graduates a class.

I hear Chicago was, comparatively, OCI pawned. Any truth?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:Wat da fuck is wrong with GULC dicksuckers in this thread? It is widely documented on TLS that GULC was OCI pwned, thats some basic shit. DC was crazy and GULC pumps out 500 graduates a class.

I'm all for grammar/spelling fails on the internet. But what's with the highschool AIM lingo? I feel like I'm reading a MySpace page complete with sparkling and spinning $ signs.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:

I hear Chicago was, comparatively, OCI pawned. Any truth?

I can't be sure but I do know 2L's without jobs, 75% seems about rite. I'll wait for the numbers to come out.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:

I'm all for grammar/spelling fails on the internet. But what's with the highschool AIM lingo? I feel like I'm reading a MySpace page complete with sparkling and spinning $ signs.

As long as you get the point.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:50 pm

I just visited friends at H, Y, and S who are all 3ls in the top 10% of their class and they said they'd be lucky if they were making cold cut combos at subway next year

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I can't be sure but I do know 2L's without jobs, 75% seems about rite. I'll wait for the numbers to come out.

Chicago never got to 75% even during the very top of the boom:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 7904889529

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 pm

nealric wrote:

Maybe 75% is on the high end but those numbers on the chart are as a percentage of the graduating class. The number I am talking about is as a percentage of students that participated in OCI. Completely different numbers and thus percentages.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 pm

Wait, there is something wrong with the economy? Crap.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:04 pm

nealric wrote:

I too am skeptical of that 75% for this year, but the % of 2Ls who got jobs for summer from OCI is going to be greater than the % who are doing biglaw at graduation, what with clerkships, no-offers, etc. 73% of graduates probably meant higher than 75% at 2L OCI (during the boom, of course).

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
nealric wrote:

I too am skeptical of that 75% for this year, but the % of 2Ls who got jobs for summer from OCI is going to be greater than the % who are doing biglaw at graduation, what with clerkships, no-offers, etc. 73% of graduates probably meant higher than 75% at 2L OCI (during the boom, of course).

And I just wanted to add that with the small class size the volatility of the percentages is greater, a few graduate clerks can potentially turn into huge percentage differences.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 pm

CG614 wrote:Wait, there is something wrong with the economy? Crap.

Wait... what?

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am

UnTouChablE wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
nealric wrote:

And I just wanted to add that with the small class size the volatility of the percentages is greater, a few graduate clerks can potentially turn into huge percentage differences.

don't worry, chicago isn't doing all that well either. with your lsat/gpa combo i would shut my mouth and focus on taking a basic grammar class at an elementary school. the only way you aren't striking out at OCI is if you lean really hard on your URM status again.

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:30 am

$1.99 wrote:
don't worry, chicago isn't doing all that well either. with your lsat/gpa combo i would shut my mouth and focus on taking a basic grammar class at an elementary school. the only way you aren't striking out at OCI is if you lean really hard on your URM status again.

Lol, you know we need some kinda help, rich ppl can't be the only ones getting richer. We need to diversify, the market is calling for it. Duhhhhhh, why are you trying to play me cause I wasn't born with an inherent advantage? lol

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 am

I didn't think it was possible, but this thread just took a dark(er) turn.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”