Just visited some friends at GULC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: Just visited some friends at GULC

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
It took me three reads to understand what you were saying, but I think I get you now. And, I never said anything about you personally, just that someone who talks like you write is shit out of luck with work. So, hopefully, you don't talk like that or you will try hard to change the way you speak.
You are assuming it is my fault because it took you 'three reads' to understand what I had typed? lollol, sounds like dat is a personal problem. And people that talk like I write are only SOL if you are the employer, hope they don't have to interview with you.
Considering it doesn't take me three reads to understand what other people write, yes, I think it's your fault. And, no, they are SOL if they have an interviewer who is educated and works with educated clients. Appearances are everything and someone who talks like that will shine a bad light on the firm. You'd never be allowed to interact with a client.

Anyways, I figure you are trolling, so we can stop now.
Fuck is wrong wit ya? Are you assuming am not educated because of the way I talk? Or I don't bring anything to the table that adds value for 'educated clients? Appearances are 'everything', who da fuck told you this? What happened to an accomplished resume? If I have something of value to add, that saves the firm money or wins cases, how would that 'shine a bad light on the firm'? You might be right about not being able to interact with clients but who da fuck told ya that was what I(we) are trying to do?

Something is wrong with you. Shit, its okay to have preconceived notions but you are being ridiculous.
Talking like that gives off the impression that you are uneducated, even if you are educated. If a firm is scared to have you interact with a bank or company because they are afraid of what the executives at that bank will think, you won't get hired. Whatever you want to say about what you can bring to the table, a potential employer won't be able to get past the way you speak. And, certainly, you have to know more about the job market than you are letting on. An accomplished resume gets you an interview, an interview gets you a job. You may well get a lot of interviews, you won't get any jobs speaking like that.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Appearances are everything and someone who talks like that will shine a bad light on the firm.
Appearances are 'everything', who da fuck told you this? What happened to an accomplished resume? If I have something of value to add, that saves the firm money or wins cases, how would that 'shine a bad light on the firm'?
Unfortunately, Patriot has a point. The legal industry is overwhelmingly (though fortunately not exclusively) populated by appearance-obsessed dipshits who attach more value to an image of whitebread Northeastern success than just about anything else. So yeah, if you're trying to get a job, especially at a big firm, appearance really is everything.

Fortunately, though, Patriot is probably also right when he says that you're just fooling around on this forum and can control the image you project to others.

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Patriot1208 wrote: Talking like that gives off the impression that you are uneducated, even if you are educated. If a firm is scared to have you interact with a bank or company because they are afraid of what the executives at that bank will think, you won't get hired. Whatever you want to say about what you can bring to the table, a potential employer won't be able to get past the way you speak. And, certainly, you have to know more about the job market than you are letting on. An accomplished resume gets you an interview, an interview gets you a job. You may well get a lot of interviews, you won't get any jobs speaking like that.
Then I'll just work somewhere else, problem solved. Hopefully not in a place where ppl are scared of me but a place where I can do my job. Don't worry about me(us) patriot, we got this.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:Image
This is terrific

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:57 pm

See, we can still find jobs an' shit. Maybe 160k is reserved for ya'll but I can handle that, working for that dude doesn't seem that bad at all. Get to look fly at work, I'd fuck wit that.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
See, we can still find jobs an' shit. Maybe 160k is reserved for ya'll but I can handle that, working for that dude doesn't seem that bad at all. Get to look fly at work, I'd fuck wit that.
I dunno, that guy looks like HYS material, I don't know if Chicago grads are getting hired at his firm. Probably have to be top 10%.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:See, we can still find jobs an' shit. Maybe 160k is reserved for ya'll but I can handle that, working for that dude doesn't seem that bad at all. Get to look fly at work, I'd fuck wit that.
If you aren't your own boss it just means that someone else is getting paid more for your work product than you are. Fight the power.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:30 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:Then I'll just work somewhere else, problem solved. Hopefully not in a place where ppl are scared of me but a place where I can do my job. Don't worry about me(us) patriot, we got this.
What do you mean by "us" and "we?" The comments are being directed towards you, no one else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:43 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:Then I'll just work somewhere else, problem solved. Hopefully not in a place where ppl are scared of me but a place where I can do my job. Don't worry about me(us) patriot, we got this.
What do you mean by "us" and "we?" The comments are being directed towards you, no one else.
No sir read them, he and everyone that is commenting are using statements like 'ppl that talk like' or 'ppl that write like'. It is really not that hard to see where all this is coming from, lol you must think its the first time I've heard sum dumb shit like this.

Obviously they are directed at me but not because of the shit I say but how I say em'. So its not really me they have a problem wit, if you spoke the way I speak you would get the same response, regardless of wat you say.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 pm

I heard black guys at GULC OCI were the only ones who got offers.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:00 pm

yeah but they dont speak like clowns.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:08 pm

$1.99 wrote:yeah but they dont speak like clowns.
Yeah, but they looked fly and $hit, and snuck in a least one "shizzle" at some point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:21 pm

androstan wrote:
$1.99 wrote:yeah but they dont speak like clowns.
Yeah, but they looked fly and $hit, and snuck in a least one "shizzle" at some point.

Only people Ive ever heard talk like that are snoop dog and suburban kids...

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:No sir read them, he and everyone that is commenting are using statements like 'ppl that talk like' or 'ppl that write like'. It is really not that hard to see where all this is coming from, lol you must think its the first time I've heard sum dumb shit like this.
Ppl? What people?

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:02 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:No sir read them, he and everyone that is commenting are using statements like 'ppl that talk like' or 'ppl that write like'. It is really not that hard to see where all this is coming from, lol you must think its the first time I've heard sum dumb shit like this.
Ppl? What people?
You have to be stupid, there is just no getting around it. Do you honestly think these TLSers are attacking my ideas expressed in this thread? If so, which ideas would that be exactly? That GULC is placing around 30-40% in biglaw out of EIW, comeonson.

TLSers have a problem, not necessarily wit mafakas that don't think like them but wit ppl that don't act/talk like them. Am okay wit it, being a part of the forum/life, it comes wit da territory. Either you speak and accept sum shit or you shut up.

Don't ask me dumbass questions like 'why do you keep saying we?' when any half-wit can see why I say we. Its 'we' ppl that don't act like the 'Patriot' expect 'educated' people to act. Same mafakas that see you at the mall sagging and wanna talk shit, its fine but don't try and play me with those kind of questions, its insulting.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
Ppl? What people?
You have to be stupid, there is just no getting around it. Do you honestly think these TLSers are attacking my ideas expressed in this thread? If so, which ideas would that be exactly? That GULC is placing around 30-40% in biglaw out of EIW, comeonson.

TLSers have a problem, not necessarily wit mafakas that don't think like them but wit ppl that don't act/talk like them. Am okay wit it, being a part of the forum/life, it comes wit da territory. Either you speak and accept sum shit or you shut up.

Don't ask me dumbass questions like 'why do you keep saying we?' when any half-wit can see why I say we. Its 'we' ppl that don't act like the 'Patriot' expect 'educated' people to act. Same mafakas that see you at the mall sagging and wanna talk shit, its fine but don't try and play me with those kind of questions, its insulting.
Werd to yer momma.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 pm

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 pm

So what is the point of misspelling words on an internet forum? I mean, I understand if you talk like that in person, that's your deal, liguistics and speech styles, whatever. But is it just to demonstrate your cultural authenticity to others on this forum? Obviously you're literate enough that you know how to spell, and are not actually just piecing things together phonetically as best you can, though that's what it looks like. It's not even your choice of words, which I think do an adequate job of conveying your cultural identity, but the intentional misspelling of those words that I have a hard time seeing the point in.

Also, I'm just patronizing you as you're obviously trolling. However, your trolling is marginally more entertaining that many others', so I encourage you to keep it up. However, this thread will probably end up getting locked if it doesn't die.

UnTouChablE

Bronze

Post by UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Marionberry wrote:So what is the point of misspelling words on an internet forum? I mean, I understand if you talk like that in person, that's your deal, liguistics and speech styles, whatever. But is it just to demonstrate your cultural authenticity to others on this forum? Obviously you're literate enough that you know how to spell, and are not actually just piecing things together phonetically as best you can, though that's what it looks like. It's not even your choice of words, which I think do an adequate job of conveying your cultural identity, but the intentional misspelling of those words that I have a hard time seeing the point in.

Also, I'm just patronizing you as you're obviously trolling. However, your trolling is marginally more entertaining that many others', so I encourage you to keep it up. However, this thread will probably end up getting locked if it doesn't die.
I agree or get moved which is even more annoying. I liked the questions, wish I could answer them.

Anymore thoughts on GULC and EIW. Is TLS way off?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm

UnTouChablE wrote: I agree or get moved which is even more annoying. I liked the questions, wish I could answer them.

lol you can still answer them. I'm assuming EIW is referring to OCI, or something similar? Well, oddly enough your estimate of 30-40% could very well be accurate, but I still think that's a far cry from "getting OCI pwned", especially when there's nothing to indicate that GULC has been hit harder than other schools. The idea that OCI just seems to be worse off since with more graduates there are numerically more horror stories about people striking out makes sense to me.

I don't even really think I want biglaw, so their placement in that area is not a huge deal to me, beyond it's being a rough indicator of general placement ability.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:47 pm

Marionberry wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote: I agree or get moved which is even more annoying. I liked the questions, wish I could answer them.

lol you can still answer them. I'm assuming EIW is referring to OCI, or something similar? Well, oddly enough your estimate of 30-40% could very well be accurate, but I still think that's a far cry from "getting OCI pwned", especially when there's nothing to indicate that GULC has been hit harder than other schools. The idea that OCI just seems to be worse off since with more graduates there are numerically more horror stories about people striking out makes sense to me.

I don't even really think I want biglaw, so their placement in that area is not a huge deal to me, beyond it's being a rough indicator of general placement ability.
EIW is early interview week which is the start of OCI. It does not include all of the interviews (not sure if it includes most).

I'm pretty sure he was saying that placing 30-40% via EIW is a ridic notion (and I'd tend to agree though I don't know much about how EIW stacks up versus the rest of OCI).

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
Marionberry wrote:So what is the point of misspelling words on an internet forum? I mean, I understand if you talk like that in person, that's your deal, liguistics and speech styles, whatever. But is it just to demonstrate your cultural authenticity to others on this forum? Obviously you're literate enough that you know how to spell, and are not actually just piecing things together phonetically as best you can, though that's what it looks like. It's not even your choice of words, which I think do an adequate job of conveying your cultural identity, but the intentional misspelling of those words that I have a hard time seeing the point in.

I agree or get moved which is even more annoying. I liked the questions, wish I could answer them.

I've heard as low as 25-30% from GULC 3L's. Hard to tell I suppose. Everyone I know landed something despite striking out at OCI though. Even if that meant taking a job back in their home market that, though well paying, wouldn't necessarily have been on their radar pre ite. I think that's the nature of things though. Every hiring partner I've talked to has made some mention of a general trickle down that's resulted in Chicago, GULC, UVA, etc... students gunning for markets they wouldn't normally dream of unless they were really home sick.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:

I've heard as low as 25-30% from GULC 3L's. Hard to tell I suppose. Everyone I know landed something despite striking out at OCI though.
What is something?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Is Veyron trolling or just not very bright?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”