Just visited some friends at GULC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Marionberry

Silver

Re: Just visited some friends at GULC

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:55 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:Is Veyron trolling or just not very bright?
both

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:
Marionberry wrote:So what is the point of misspelling words on an internet forum? I mean, I understand if you talk like that in person, that's your deal, liguistics and speech styles, whatever. But is it just to demonstrate your cultural authenticity to others on this forum? Obviously you're literate enough that you know how to spell, and are not actually just piecing things together phonetically as best you can, though that's what it looks like. It's not even your choice of words, which I think do an adequate job of conveying your cultural identity, but the intentional misspelling of those words that I have a hard time seeing the point in.

Also, I'm just patronizing you as you're obviously trolling. However, your trolling is marginally more entertaining that many others', so I encourage you to keep it up. However, this thread will probably end up getting locked if it doesn't die.
I agree or get moved which is even more annoying. I liked the questions, wish I could answer them.

Anymore thoughts on GULC and EIW. Is TLS way off?
I've heard as low as 25-30% from GULC 3L's. Hard to tell I suppose. Everyone I know landed something despite striking out at OCI though.
What is something?
I went back and edited, apparently at the same time that you wrote this. Something for my friends = 85-100k jobs in small secondary markets.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
I went back and edited, apparently at the same time that you wrote this. Something for my friends = 85-100k jobs in small secondary markets.
That's not too bad.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
That's not too bad.
+1. Any idea what their approximate class ranks were, Aqua?

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:00 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
Marionberry wrote:So what is the point of misspelling words on an internet forum? I mean, I understand if you talk like that in person, that's your deal, liguistics and speech styles, whatever. But is it just to demonstrate your cultural authenticity to others on this forum? Obviously you're literate enough that you know how to spell, and are not actually just piecing things together phonetically as best you can, though that's what it looks like. It's not even your choice of words, which I think do an adequate job of conveying your cultural identity, but the intentional misspelling of those words that I have a hard time seeing the point in.

Also, I'm just patronizing you as you're obviously trolling. However, your trolling is marginally more entertaining that many others', so I encourage you to keep it up. However, this thread will probably end up getting locked if it doesn't die.
I agree or get moved which is even more annoying. I liked the questions, wish I could answer them.

Anymore thoughts on GULC and EIW. Is TLS way off?
I am really glad i did not go to chicago for law school. I heard it was ghetto but I did not expect the students there to be "gangstas" too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
That's not too bad.
Yeah. One or two have expressed a feeling that it's almost like failure to be back home and making "so little" in comparison to their classmates. Most are just happy to be home/have a job I think. One guy I grew up with came back for Christmas break, and we grabbed lunch at his firm. He was really just relieved. I think he was happier about the environment he would be heading into as well. Did express some concerns about the debt though. 85k isn't bad for the city he'll be working in. I mean if you typed it into a COL calculator, it's works out to a bit more than the 160 NY salaries, but it's still daunting to see 6 figure debt v. 5 figure salary.

Class rank = all hovering above median. Nothing spectacular, but solid.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:No sir read them, he and everyone that is commenting are using statements like 'ppl that talk like' or 'ppl that write like'. It is really not that hard to see where all this is coming from, lol you must think its the first time I've heard sum dumb shit like this.
Ppl? What people?
You have to be stupid, there is just no getting around it. Do you honestly think these TLSers are attacking my ideas expressed in this thread? If so, which ideas would that be exactly? That GULC is placing around 30-40% in biglaw out of EIW, comeonson.

TLSers have a problem, not necessarily wit mafakas that don't think like them but wit ppl that don't act/talk like them. Am okay wit it, being a part of the forum/life, it comes wit da territory. Either you speak and accept sum shit or you shut up.

Don't ask me dumbass questions like 'why do you keep saying we?' when any half-wit can see why I say we. Its 'we' ppl that don't act like the 'Patriot' expect 'educated' people to act. Same mafakas that see you at the mall sagging and wanna talk shit, its fine but don't try and play me with those kind of questions, its insulting.
just wanted to post to say this is GD terrific.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I've heard as low as 25-30% from GULC 3L's. Hard to tell I suppose. Everyone I know landed something despite striking out at OCI though. Even if that meant taking a job back in their home market that, though well paying, wouldn't necessarily have been on their radar pre ite. I think that's the nature of things though. Every hiring partner I've talked to has made some mention of a general trickle down that's resulted in Chicago, GULC, UVA, etc... students gunning for markets they wouldn't normally dream of unless they were really home sick.
I don't buy this at all.
Which part?

The 25-30%? I've acknowledged before, on this site, that those are just guesses by my friends. That number is probably too low, but most of the numbers that get tossed around here are just guesses.

The fact that my GULC friends were able to find jobs back in their home markets? Can't argue with you on that one. It is what it is.

The fact that there is a general trickle down re: jobs/markets? I think that's a given as well.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:25 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Hell, if I could make 85-100k back home I would be really fucking happy. Even if I paid off 20k a year that still 65-80 which, where I'm from, is a very solid lifestyle - especially with benefits.

Do these sorts of firms care about class rank and, if so, to what extent?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I've heard as low as 25-30% from GULC 3L's. Hard to tell I suppose. Everyone I know landed something despite striking out at OCI though. Even if that meant taking a job back in their home market that, though well paying, wouldn't necessarily have been on their radar pre ite. I think that's the nature of things though. Every hiring partner I've talked to has made some mention of a general trickle down that's resulted in Chicago, GULC, UVA, etc... students gunning for markets they wouldn't normally dream of unless they were really home sick.
I don't buy this at all.
Which part?

The 25-30%? I've acknowledged before, on this site, that those are just guesses by my friends. That number is probably too low, but most of the numbers that get tossed around here are just guesses.

The fact that my GULC friends were able to find jobs back in their home markets? Can't argue with you on that one. It is what it is.

The fact that there is a general trickle down re: jobs/markets? I think that's a given as well.
That's why I deleted it. I meant it as a response to the 85-100k jobs that your friends were getting. I have a hard time believing that (1) there are many of those jobs and (2) that they are accessible to people who don't have some kind of insider hookup.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:15 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
I don't buy this at all.
Which part?

That's why I deleted it. I meant it as a response to the 85-100k jobs that your friends were getting. I have a hard time believing that (1) there are many of those jobs and (2) that they are accessible to people who don't have some kind of insider hookup.

Every one of my classmates that has a firm job this summer is working at a firm that pays 85-100k. I personally received several offers at firms that pay 85-100k. That's the high salary at the "bigger firms" in secondary markets. Are there as many of these jobs as there are biglaw jobs every year? No. Does that mean they don't exist? No.

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Hell, if I could make 85-100k back home I would be really fucking happy. Even if I paid off 20k a year that still 65-80 which, where I'm from, is a very solid lifestyle - especially with benefits.

Naw man, you're in. Just roll into the hiring partner's office, yell "PENN BITCHES", slap your resume on the table, and prop your feet on his desk. I'm sure he'll let your rank slide.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Every one of my classmates that has a firm job this summer is working at a firm that pays 85-100k. I personally received several offers at firms that pay 85-100k. That's the high salary at the "bigger firms" in secondary markets. Are there as many of these jobs as there are biglaw jobs every year? No. Does that mean they don't exist? No.
But it means that these firms seem to be willing to often take a slightly above median GULC kid (from the area) over a top kid from the local school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Every one of my classmates that has a firm job this summer is working at a firm that pays 85-100k. I personally received several offers at firms that pay 85-100k. That's the high salary at the "bigger firms" in secondary markets. Are there as many of these jobs as there are biglaw jobs every year? No. Does that mean they don't exist? No.
Did these firms come to your OCI? How did you get these offers?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:26 pm

[/quote]

Which part?

The fact that there is a general trickle down re: jobs/markets? I think that's a given as well.[/quote]
That's why I deleted it. I meant it as a response to the 85-100k jobs that your friends were getting. I have a hard time believing that (1) there are many of those jobs and (2) that they are accessible to people who don't have some kind of insider hookup.[/quote]

Every one of my classmates that has a firm job this summer is working at a firm that pays 85-100k. I personally received several offers at firms that pay 85-100k. That's the high salary at the "bigger firms" in secondary markets. Are there as many of these jobs as there are biglaw jobs every year? No. Does that mean they don't exist? No.[/quote]

Larger firms in lots of secondary markets pay 100-135. 85-100k puts you in the mid-majors.
BrownBears09 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

Naw man, you're in. Just roll into the hiring partner's office, yell "PENN BITCHES", slap your resume on the table, and prop your feet on his desk. I'm sure he'll let your rank slide.
Penn actually. For serious though, I was under the impression that once you got out of biglaw, grades mattered a bit less.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Internet Forum Moderators: shutting down bullshit (and killing all the fun) since 1991.

EDIT: I see we're sort of on topic now. I'll let it go.
lulz

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 pm

bk187 wrote:
But it means that these firms seem to be willing to often take a slightly above median GULC kid (from the area) over a top kid from the local school.
Not necessarily over a top kid, but it definitely stops them from looking deeper into the class at the local school. When you've got kids from Vandy, UChi, GULC, etc... coming to get a job back home, there's really not much reason to go for the kid who is top 33-50% at the local school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Not necessarily over a top kid, but it definitely stops them from looking deeper into the class at the local school. When you've got kids from Vandy, UChi, GULC, etc... coming to get a job back home, there's really not much reason to go for the kid who is top 33-50% at the local school.
I don't think that's a fair comparison really. I mean yes the whole trickle effect makes sense, but I would think it is more like taking the a few above median T14 kids versus going into the top 10-15% rather than the top 5-10% of the local school.

I obviously have no numbers and am just thinking about this off the top of my head.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:37 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

About 30-40 of em came to my school's OCI. For the most part though, I interviewed with firms at job fairs and one or two targeted mailings. This summer I'll be working at two firms that have a 100k starting salary.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

About 30-40 of em came to my school's OCI. For the most part though, I interviewed with firms at job fairs and one or two targeted mailings. This summer I'll be working at two firms that have a 100k starting salary.
I asked because I applied at all the "big" firms in my hometown (which also pay about 90k starting salary) for both my 1L and 2L summers, and never even got an interview despite being >median at t-14. Recently I talked to some alums in a nearby secondary market, and was straight up told that unless I had a personal connection to the city, it wasn't even worth applying. I guess I figured that, without a special hookup, small and midsize cities outside the East Coast were basically out of reach because their hiring is too parochial.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Not necessarily over a top kid, but it definitely stops them from looking deeper into the class at the local school. When you've got kids from Vandy, UChi, GULC, etc... coming to get a job back home, there's really not much reason to go for the kid who is top 33-50% at the local school.
I don't think that's a fair comparison really. I mean yes the whole trickle effect makes sense, but I would think it is more like taking the a few above median T14 kids versus going into the top 10-15% rather than the top 10% of the local school.

I obviously have no numbers and am just thinking about this off the top of my head.
Well I think through the stained glass windows of TLS where kids outside the top 15% anywhere outside the t14 aren't getting anything that makes sense. Just from what I've seen out of OCI though. From what I've seen at my school though, that isn't the case. There are very good firms here that go down to the 30,40,50 percent mark. Of course the lower you get the lower your chances. I just don't see firms in this market ever overlooking top kids at this school in favor of someone from another school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Well I think through the stained glass windows of TLS where kids outside the top 15% anywhere outside the t14 aren't getting anything that makes sense. Just from what I've seen out of OCI though. From what I've seen at my school though, that isn't the case. There are very good firms here that go down to the 30,40,50 percent mark. Of course the lower you get the lower your chances.
I'm not saying they're not getting anything. I'm just saying I don't see there being that many market rate paying jobs in those markets (excuse my ignorance of smaller markets if that's incorrect).

Aqualibrium wrote:I just don't see firms in this market ever overlooking top kids at this school in favor of someone from another school.
Wait, doesn't this directly contradict what you said earlier? That firms were willing to take GULC median kids over top locals? Or am I reading it wrong?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

I asked because I applied at all the "big" firms in my hometown (which also pay about 90k starting salary) for both my 1L and 2L summers, and never even got an interview despite being >median at t-14. Recently I talked to some alums in a nearby secondary market, and was straight up told that unless I had a personal connection to the city, it wasn't even worth applying. I guess I figured that, without a special hookup, small and midsize cities outside the East Coast were basically out of reach because their hiring is too parochial.
That's just something you have to battle with I think. I didn't think I would ever have to explain why I'd like to come back home to firms in my home state, especially since I only went to a t30 school a few states over. However, in every interview, I ended up getting asked about it. One guy straight up told me I'd have better opportunities, so why should they believe I was willing to come back home and stick around. You just have to anticipate and head off those types of questions. I was able to do that, and did well at home and in other secondary markets.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 pm

bk187 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I just don't see firms in this market ever overlooking top kids at this school in favor of someone from another school.
Wait, doesn't this directly contradict what you said earlier? That firms were willing to take GULC median kids over top locals? Or am I reading it wrong?
I think you're reading it wrong. You said something about firms being willing to take above medain GULC kids over top local kids, and I said "not necessarily over a top kid."

As to the number of jobs available, I probably have enough info to speak for the secondary market where my school is located with a good deal of authority. While there aren't two or three hundred SA positions available. My school's class sizes are small, it's the best school in the state, and most of the lawyers in the state are alums. I don't think there is any real shortage. The people that will struggle are median and below. Everyone above that has some hope of finding something if they are diverse with their city choice. PM me if you'd like specifics. I don't like coming right out and saying it...
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:09 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I think you're reading it wrong. You said something about firms being willing to take above medain GULC kids over top local kids, and I said "not necessarily over a top kid."
Ah okay I see now. I was just spitballing ideas more than anything.
Aqualibrium wrote: As to the number of jobs available, I probably have enough info to speak for the secondary market where my school is located with a good deal of authority. While there aren't two or three hundred SA positions available. I don't think there is any real shortage. The people that will struggle are median and below. Everyone above that has some hope of finding something if they are diverse with their city choice. It's a fairly "undesirable" market. PM me if you'd like specifics. I don't like coming right out and saying it...
No problem, and thanks for the info.

Do you think your market is uncommon in its undesirability to amount of jobs ratio?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”