Am I insane?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Renzo

Re: Am I insane?

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Renzo wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:My office used to be a helicopter. Just because a job is interesting/enjoyable/pays well doesn't mean its the right thing for someone - especially in the long term.

Dude, fuck working in helicopters. I was constantly hitting my head on shit and getting leg cramps. Plus, I was right up against the weight limit all the time.

Jesus Christ. Too heavy for a helicopter?

Naw, only too heavy for sissified margins of safety.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Is there no decent school offering you at least $$$ or tuition? Are you dead set on CCN? I would think tuition at Vandy + great WE + little debt (assuming you've saved) would make the decision to attend law school a damn decent one.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:13 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Renzo wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:My office used to be a helicopter. Just because a job is interesting/enjoyable/pays well doesn't mean its the right thing for someone - especially in the long term.

Dude, fuck working in helicopters. I was constantly hitting my head on shit and getting leg cramps. Plus, I was right up against the weight limit all the time.

The helicopter EMS program I worked for had a 240# weight limit - which was easy to bump against in winter time (helmet, flight suit, boots, winter flight jacket, vest, helicopter crew life vest, personal equipment, plus narcotic box).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Renzo wrote:

The helicopter EMS program I worked for had a 240# weight limit - which was easy to bump against in winter time (helmet, flight suit, boots, winter flight jacket, vest, helicopter crew life vest, personal equipment, plus narcotic box).
Last edited by Renzo on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:18 pm

yes. Wait 2-3 years and then go if the economy has turned around. No need to go all in pre-flop if you can afford to wait and see the flop.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:21 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Once got a 375 lb patient in a helo only because the flight nurse and medic together weighed only 200 lbs.

ETA: and the pilot was definitely less than 140.

To the OP: I am giving up a great job to go to LS... but I am only looking at $40K in LS debt. My advice to you would be to go somewhere either PT, wait a few years, or go to the best school you can with at least half of sticker taken care of. Otherwise, don't go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:15 am

This is the OP checking in to thank everyone for the insight. But yes, I want to be a lawyer. Kind of wish I considered the Vandy-tier schools for the money reason, but I'm shooting for a clerkship post-LS and need to aim as high as possible.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:20 am

Sorry to interrupt what appears to be a healthy dialog, but this isn't what the employment forum is meant for.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 am

dailygrind wrote:Sorry to interrupt what appears to be a healthy dialog, but this isn't what the employment forum is meant for.

Then move it?

rose711

Postby rose711 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:31 am

I think giving up a good job now is a mistake - regardless of your reasons for doing so, other than if you are in a situation that puts your life at risk. This economy is really terrible, worse than you may realize with your good job. I think that waiting won't hurt you in any way at all. And I also think deciding where you want to go because you want to get a clerkship may be a bit too much - I'm not sure a person should put the pressure of expecting to get a clerkship on themselves.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 am

ITT, yeah since you actually like your job. don't be a dumbass. in a regular economy, not at all

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 am

joemoviebuff wrote:I think you are.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:23 am

atresia wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:I think you are.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 am

fathergoose wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Sorry to interrupt what appears to be a healthy dialog, but this isn't what the employment forum is meant for.

Then move it?

what a brilliant idea. why didn't i think of that?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 am

dailygrind wrote:what a brilliant idea. why didn't i think of that?...

all the booze?

phillylawgrad

Postby phillylawgrad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Why do you want to be a lawyer? How do you know what the work is like? How much can you expect to be making in 3 years?

In my opinion this would be a huge mistake. Legal work is not particularly interesting for most people; unless you have a good reason to believe that you will love the work, quitting a well paying/interesting job is a huge mistake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”