I need help with decision please. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

I need help with decision please.

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:56 am

I got accepted to Cuny law. Im still waiting on brooklyn and Cardozo part time. I "just" want to come back to work in the DA's office and make a career there. I currently work in the Brooklyn DA's office. Does anyone have any advice as to whether CUNY can help me do that.

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Re: I need help with decision please.

Post by LurkerNoMore » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

You work in a DA's office currently and want to ask (mostly) people who have never made a legal hiring decision in their lives whether a school can get you a job at a DA's office?
:shock:

Go down the hall and start talking to some of the attorneys. Ask them who you should get in contact with.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 pm

LurkerNoMore wrote:You work in a DA's office currently and want to ask (mostly) people who have never made a legal hiring decision in their lives whether a school can get you a job at a DA's office?
:shock:

Go down the hall and start talking to some of the attorneys. Ask them who you should get in contact with.
Yes go ask the person who does the hiring. If you don't know him/her, make sure you start getting to know him/her well now while your foot is in the door.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:12 pm

You don't need to limit this to the person who does the hiring. Tell all the attorneys that work there what you are thinking of doing and ask their advice. I think everyone will be willing to advise a co-worker.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:16 pm

ask people you work with, not people on TLS. The attorneys you work with will know more about what you need to do to ensure employment at the DA's office and how they look at CUNY students. Keep your options open until you have had a series of conversations with them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:20 pm

rose711 wrote:You don't need to limit this to the person who does the hiring. Tell all the attorneys that work there what you are thinking of doing and ask their advice. I think everyone will be willing to advise a co-worker.
But the person who does the hiring, does the hiring.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:34 pm

The person who does the ultimate hiring may not be available to a lower level employee, may not be there in a few years when this person graduates, may be limited by severe budget cuts in the next few years and may, in fact, be a committee of people who do interviews, etc before the decision to make an offer is made.

I suggest that the OP talk to every practicing lawyer they can find as they are lucky enough to be working in the same office they want to return to. Might as well make as many connections now while you are there.

Good luck!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:40 pm

rose711 wrote:
The person who does the ultimate hiring may not be available to a lower level employee, may not be there in a few years when this person graduates, may be limited by severe budget cuts in the next few years and may, in fact, be a committee of people who do interviews, etc before the decision to make an offer is made.

I suggest that the OP talk to every practicing lawyer they can find as they are lucky enough to be working in the same office they want to return to. Might as well make as many connections now while you are there.

Good luck!
Ok the persons that do the hiring. I am not suggesting that don't network, but the most accurate information about how to get hired for that office are the persons that do the hiring. To answer OP's question direction: contact the persons who do the hiring.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 pm

"The person who does the hiring, does the hiring." Not in the real world. Often, however, the person who does the hiring, does the screening.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:"The person who does the hiring, does the hiring." Not in the real world. Often, however, the person who does the hiring, does the screening.
Sorry I have been living the magical unicorn magical world being a consultant to hordes of fairies.

I modify the state to say "the persons who do the hiring, can providing hiring information about the DA's office".

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm

And I in the world of politics.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:And I in the world of politics.
You mean you can't get jobs/contracts if you get to the right person? I must not live in the real world.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 pm

The right person is rarely, if ever, the hiring person.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:53 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The right person is rarely, if ever, the hiring person.
Correct, but OP wanted information, not a job.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 pm

You win.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”