big law employment HLS vs. CLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cl25

big law employment HLS vs. CLS

Postby cl25 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 pm

employment prospects in big law for HLS vs. CLS, especially for 1L, 2L internships? going into law school straight from ugrad

rose711

Re: big law employment HLS vs. CLS

Postby rose711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:32 am

Go to Harvard.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 am

um, id say HLS is better

this is sort of an odd question -- usually it'd be like SLS vs HLS vs YLS or something...what made you think of this one?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:37 am

rose711 wrote:Go to Harvard.

This, unless CLS gives you money. If they do, go there.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 am

Go to Harvard, unless you're looking at a large scholarship at CLS. CLS probably sends a higher percentage to biglaw but obviously there are other reasons for that.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:54 am

DoubleChecks wrote:um, id say HLS is better

this is sort of an odd question -- usually it'd be like SLS vs HLS vs YLS or something...what made you think of this one?

what's so odd? there is really no difference in placement in V10 firms.... obviously hls students have better clerkship etc opportunities but just from the perspective of top firms the question seems quite reasonable:
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2008job_biglaw.shtml

not to say there's reason to pick cls over hls without a cls $, just saying that in terms of ability to find a top firm job hls isn't really much better than cls and the schools are pretty comparable.
still, go to harvard even if you're only goal is nyc v10. but not an absurd question.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:

what's so odd? there is really no difference in placement in V10 firms.... obviously hls students have better clerkship etc opportunities but just from the perspective of top firms the question seems quite reasonable:

not to say there's reason to pick cls over hls without a cls $, just saying that in terms of ability to find a top firm job hls isn't really much better than cls and the schools are pretty comparable.
still, go to harvard even if you're only goal is nyc v10. but not an absurd question.

The fact that they are comparable in placement at top firms in no way implies that the ability to find a top firm job is equal at the two schools.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:02 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:

The fact that they are comparable in placement at top firms in no way implies that the ability to find a top firm job is equal at the two schools.

I can only speak of two v10 firms, but at these two firms cls and hls general class rank cut-offs are the same. but yes, I'm not arguing that the ease of finding jobs is equal just that the huge number of cls alums at top big law firms means that the question isn't quizzical. its pretty to easy to understand why a 0L might ask the question given the raw data they'd find from google.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:04 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:

I can only speak of two v10 firms, but at these two firms cls and hls general class rank cut-offs are the same.

Ok, that is a much better metric.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:46 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:

I can only speak of two v10 firms, but at these two firms cls and hls general class rank cut-offs are the same. but yes, I'm not arguing that the ease of finding jobs is equal just that the huge number of cls alums at top big law firms means that the question isn't quizzical. its pretty to easy to understand why a 0L might ask the question given the raw data they'd find from google.

how do you even know the class rank cutoffs for 2Ls? i had always imagined we wouldnt find out till graduation w/ certain honors, with all the HP/P/LPs going around...

either way, i cant imagine employment prospects in biglaw being better for CLS than HLS. are they far off? probably not, but i dont see a lot of reasons to choose CLS over HLS if biglaw is what OP wants (assuming no $ at either, since he didnt mention any). you'd have to hustle more at CLS with all them grades and all ;)

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:49 am

asking family friends who hire cls and hls students. but yes, i agree. choose cls. but i understand the question nonetheless.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:06 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:asking family friends who hire cls and hls students. but yes, i agree. choose cls. but i understand the question nonetheless.

i get the question now, just odd in the sense that i rarely ever see it asked.

and by choose CLS, i assume you mean choose HLS.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:08 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:just saying that in terms of ability to find a top firm job hls isn't really much better than cls and the schools are pretty comparable.

Nope. By your rationale OP should go to NYU over YLS. Must account for self selection.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Prestige is everything. No one will ever ask you why you chose Harvard. Period.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”