Thoughts on Boston College?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolnonsense
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Anyone on here who currently attends BC Law? If so, care to share your thoughts/experiences?

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby sethc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:13 pm

No experience other than to tell you they're fairly tough to get into. I applied and got shut down. They aren't a T25-caliber law school.. but I wanted to go because of where it's at + quality of education. That's all I can personally give you, though.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am

If you wanna stay in Boston they are a very very good option. An underrated school IMO, at least by TLS standards.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:04 pm

I went to a high school that sent a ton of kids to BC for undergrad, I know a couple of BC law grads, and one current student, I've got a lot of friends and family who are current students or recent grads. Here is my take...

Large, loyal, well connected alumni group in the Northeast mainly due to their undergrad and them being the "Notre Dame" of the east coast. BC is a great name for Boston, a very good name in New England, and pretty solid in New York. If you want to work in New York, the West Coast, etc. you might be better served going to school there, but BC is a big name all over New England. Boston College is also not in Boston, its in Newton and the law school is off a mile or so from the main campus clustered with some freshman dorms. Because of the stops on the T, from the law school it's probably going to take an hour to get downtown (5 - 10 minute walk from LS to the T, 5 minute ride from station near LS to main campus, 45 minutes to downtown because it isn't an express route). You would need a car.

If you can get in and like the city, I'd look at BC and BU. COL is going to be identical (Newton is an expensive suburb, BU is right in the city), prestige is identical, but the type of students, alums, and the overall experience is going to be night and day different. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go BU in a heartbeat, that being said I'm a big latte liberal turd who can't stand suburbs. I totally get the charm of Newtown and your decision between the two should be weighted heavily on financial aid / COA and less heavily, but still importantly, on how much you like the students at each.

What are your goals?

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Know a girl who went there. She had biglaw paralegal experience and thought she would get biglaw after school. Didn't happen.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:33 pm

Agree that BU & BC are as different as night & day.

lawschoolnonsense
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:I went to a high school that sent a ton of kids to BC for undergrad, I know a couple of BC law grads, and one current student, I've got a lot of friends and family who are current students or recent grads. Here is my take...

Large, loyal, well connected alumni group in the Northeast mainly due to their undergrad and them being the "Notre Dame" of the east coast. BC is a great name for Boston, a very good name in New England, and pretty solid in New York. If you want to work in New York, the West Coast, etc. you might be better served going to school there, but BC is a big name all over New England. Boston College is also not in Boston, its in Newton and the law school is off a mile or so from the main campus clustered with some freshman dorms. Because of the stops on the T, from the law school it's probably going to take an hour to get downtown (5 - 10 minute walk from LS to the T, 5 minute ride from station near LS to main campus, 45 minutes to downtown because it isn't an express route). You would need a car.

If you can get in and like the city, I'd look at BC and BU. COL is going to be identical (Newton is an expensive suburb, BU is right in the city), prestige is identical, but the type of students, alums, and the overall experience is going to be night and day different. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go BU in a heartbeat, that being said I'm a big latte liberal turd who can't stand suburbs. I totally get the charm of Newtown and your decision between the two should be weighted heavily on financial aid / COA and less heavily, but still importantly, on how much you like the students at each.

What are your goals?


I'm really looking to work in either the Northeast or Mid Atlantic region following law school either in a big firm or possibly some sort of government work. I'd love to work in Boston; Boston seems to be more my kind of city than NY or DC.

I've heard pretty much the same assessment as you gave regarding BC and BU from other people. And with that said, I am more of a traditional, conservative, Catholic black coffee (as opposed to the big latte liberal) kind of guy. I applied to both schools and have already been accepted to BC. For me, I think BC would be a much better fit than BU. And considering my geographic preference and career aspirations, I think that BC might be a better fit for me than most other schools.
Last edited by lawschoolnonsense on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:09 pm

Solid. If you know you're more a fit for BC culturally, it makes a lot of the decision for you barring a huge difference in cost. Having BC on your resume says something completely different about you than BU based on the stereotypes of students at each school, but neither is a "better" school, they're both closely on par with each other in such a small geographic space that there really is no difference.

Aristone
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:20 am

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby Aristone » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:44 pm

I attended BC Law (graduated a few years ago)...work in biglaw now, sometimes hate my life...sometimes love the money...so it's a wash.

If you have any specific questions regarding BC Law...please feel free to let me know.

lawschoolnonsense
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:57 am

Aristone wrote:I attended BC Law (graduated a few years ago)...work in biglaw now, sometimes hate my life...sometimes love the money...so it's a wash.

If you have any specific questions regarding BC Law...please feel free to let me know.


I pm'd you. Thanks.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby jwmalone87 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:04 am

Could we elaborate a little more on the type of students/culture of BC v. BU? Exactly why is the experience night and day?

I hear other threads mention BU and the mangy hippies, etc. Accurate? What about BC's student body?

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby NoleinNY » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 am

I don't go there (would not have gotten any money from them), but visited back when I was applying last year. Fabulous place. Everyone is ridiculously friendly (I noticed a correlation with friendly students and staff and Jesuit-affiliated schools). The campus is beautiful, too.

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby Fred_McGriff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:20 am

jwmalone87 wrote:other threads mention BU and the mangy hippies, etc. Accurate?


Not at all hippies. Hipsters, indie rock. Really cosmopolitan part of the city, BU students (in general) are a big part of the art and music scene.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:other threads mention BU and the mangy hippies, etc. Accurate?


Not at all hippies. Hipsters, indie rock. Really cosmopolitan part of the city, BU students (in general) are a big part of the art and music scene.


BU is a bit older, a year or two on average, and it makes a difference in the atmosphere here. I'd estimate that more than half of the students in my section have work experience or a graduate degree. BC students are mostly straight out of college and it can be a little like a frat party. BU is also in Backbay which, although not the city, does expose us to a different group than the BC crowd, which is mostly surrounded by college students.

That said, BU is very liberal, quite a few latte sipping homosexuals. But then again, I consider that classy.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby Informative » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:54 pm

BC is in Newton, but most students live in the city in the same area as BU students. Few people live in Newton, which is odd because it is one of the top suburbs in the country. Probably the only place in Mass where you will run into celebrities on a regular basis getting coffee. Example: Matt Damon is a regular at the starbucks out there in Newton Center.

BC does extremely well in law firm placement, especially considering its peer schools. Most graduates choose to stay in the northeast, going to vault firms in NYC and Boston. Some head down to DC, to Chicago or out to Cali. It is pretty rare to find BC grads outside of the northeast though, largely because people go to BC for its Boston and New York connections. http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hool-.html

BC is often described as a collegial school, coined the "Disneyland of law schools" by Princeton Review. Not sure what that means, but people are very friendly and you don't have that cutthroat atmosphere a number of schools are known for.

It has a strong alumni network (something you usually only find with these schools with good sports programs), a nice campus, and some pretty famous alum. It is traditionally liberal, although the school does a good job of not allowing the liberal slant be to pervasive.

As for BU, I won't say that BU is a worse school. The two schools are pretty much equal these days ever since 2004 when BU jumped up in the rankings. While BC was traditionally the better law school with the better reputation, BU has done a fantastic job in marketing itself. If you use the search function on this site, you'll see most people saying that BC does better in Boston, but I think they are pretty equal. Especailly the further away from Boston you go, which is where the two schools esentially equal out. People outside of the northeast often don't know the difference.

You really have to visit the schools. I prefer BC over BU, but I have met people who like BU. It all depends on what type of atmosphere you like.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Cupidity wrote:BC students are mostly straight out of college and it can be a little like a frat party.

Cupidity wrote:BU is a bit older, a year or two on average

What are you basing this on?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Thoughts on Boston College?

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:18 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Cupidity wrote:BC students are mostly straight out of college and it can be a little like a frat party.

Cupidity wrote:BU is a bit older, a year or two on average

What are you basing this on?

Apparently, not the statistics the schools themselves publish:

BC class of 2013 average age: 24
BU class of 2013 average age: 24




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests