GWU now (if accepted) or try for NU later?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do if you had my stats?

Attend The George Washington University - applying in upcoming cycle
36%
Try my hand at Northwestern University - in three years
64%

Total votes: 36

Anacreon

Re: GWU now (if accepted) or try for NU later?

Postby Anacreon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Friendly bump

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Anacreon wrote:Friendly bump

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:31 pm

Do people think the OP should try to get in ASAP before the percentiles shut 'em out in later cycles?

Wonderin' for myself too.

I graduated with a similar GPA and will be working unions/labor law for a while. Not sure if that's relevant WE that schools consider.

As for LSAT, I've been studying, but not sure when...if ever... I'll take the exam to be honest.

To the OP:
Waiting and taking a 5th year is important as each GPA point inches you toward median.
Waiting and working, if you have a good job, is money you can put toward school-- and give you time to see if you really want to do law once the economy starts to bounce back.

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:35 pm

reaisan wrote:Do people think the OP should try to get in ASAP before the percentiles shut 'em out in later cycles?

I graduated with a similar GPA and will be working unions/labor law for a while. Not sure if that's relevant WE that schools consider.

As for LSAT, I've been studying, but not sure when...if ever... I'll take the exam to be honest.

To the OP:
Waiting and taking a 5th year is important as each GPA point inches you toward median.
Waiting and working, if you have a good job, is money you can put toward school-- and give you time to see if you really want to do law once the economy starts to bounce back.

Agreed with your last statement but your first sentence and question makes this a difficult decision for me.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Anacreon wrote:
reaisan wrote:Do people think the OP should try to get in ASAP before the percentiles shut 'em out in later cycles?

To the OP:

Agreed with your last statement but your first sentence and question makes this a difficult decision for me.

I really don't think one year would make a difference for this (say, if you applied next cycle) but 3 years actually might. I thought about the same thing when I applied this cycle but took the LSAT in September 2009. Turns out it wasn't a big deal. There is a ton of information about GPA/LSAT percentiles past and present online, so do some research yourself. Plus, LSAT scores are only good for 4 or 5 years right? (5 at most)

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Assuming that you will get good work experience after college is a big assumption to make.

I would go to GWU now. It is a very good school. Have you applied to NU??

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:50 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Assuming that you will get good work experience after college is a big assumption to make.

No, and I haven't applied to GWU, either. That's coming in the fall. Care to chance me (2.9/171)?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm sure someone here knows this: what kind of WE is NU looking for? Anything specific? I mean, would you need to get like a runner or paralegal job or could some random AmeriCorps work suffice to impress NU?

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:35 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:I'm sure someone here knows this: what kind of WE is NU looking for? Anything specific? I mean, would you need to get like a runner or paralegal job or could some random AmeriCorps work suffice to impress NU?

I think any of these would be fine. I dont think you're going to impress NU with these types of jobs, but you certainly wont hold yourself back in terms of not having any work experience. Thats my 2 cents. To actually impress them with WE, you're going to need something substantial like...being a CEO for 5 years, being an accountant for 5+ years, being an investment banker...etc.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 pm

BeachandRun23 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:I'm sure someone here knows this: what kind of WE is NU looking for? Anything specific? I mean, would you need to get like a runner or paralegal job or could some random AmeriCorps work suffice to impress NU?

I think any of these would be fine. I dont think you're going to impress NU with these types of jobs, but you certainly wont hold yourself back in terms of not having any work experience. Thats my 2 cents. To actually impress them with WE, you're going to need something substantial like...being a CEO for 5 years, being an accountant for 5+ years, being an investment banker...etc.

Yeah good pt, I guess I didn't include that as one of my original options.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:07 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:I really don't think one year would make a difference for this (say, if you applied next cycle) but 3 years actually might. I thought about the same thing when I applied this cycle but took the LSAT in September 2009. Turns out it wasn't a big deal. There is a ton of information about GPA/LSAT percentiles past and present online, so do some research yourself. Plus, LSAT scores are only good for 4 or 5 years right? (5 at most)

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I'm planning to wait a few years too. It may be harder, but a risk I'm willing to chance.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Apply next year to GWU, GULC, and NU a bunch of other schools that you like.

I think you will get into GWU. It is good to have options even if you do not go for a while. It is very hard to find worth while work with a BA in this economy.

I toured GWU but I did not have the scores to go. It has a very solid program and is a very good school with a national and regional reputation. T 14 is very hard to chance.

I am not saying you should go but just give yourself that option.

Anacreon wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Assuming that you will get good work experience after college is a big assumption to make.

No, and I haven't applied to GWU, either. That's coming in the fall. Care to chance me (2.9/171)?

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Do I even have a chance at GWU now?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”