GWU now (if accepted) or try for NU later? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do if you had my stats?

Attend The George Washington University - applying in upcoming cycle
36%
Try my hand at Northwestern University - in three years
64%

Total votes: 36

Anacreon

Bronze

GWU now (if accepted) or try for NU later?

Post by Anacreon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:08 am

GPA will be around 2.95 after this semester and when I apply to GWU...will be slightly above 3.0 after senior year. I would go for a couple years of WE after senior year.

Desire to remain on East coast. BIGLAW isn't terribly important but a good paying job is.

Anacreon

Bronze

Re: GWU now (if accepted) or try for NU later?

Post by Anacreon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:15 am

Also to voters: please explain your reasoning.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 am

"good paying job" probably depends on how much debt you take. gov't or a DA job would pay well if you have no $$. that might help the answer. but I don't know what it is. low GPA is a killer.

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:37 am

megaTTTron wrote:"good paying job" probably depends on how much debt you take. gov't or a DA job would pay well if you have no $$. that might help the answer. but I don't know what it is. low GPA is a killer.
Do you think I'll even have to make this decision or will GWU make it for me by way of rejection?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:39 am

Anacreon wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:"good paying job" probably depends on how much debt you take. gov't or a DA job would pay well if you have no $$. that might help the answer. but I don't know what it is. low GPA is a killer.
Do you think I'll even have to make this decision or will GWU make it for me by way of rejection?
Haha. I don't know. If it were me. I'd wait a year or two (so long as that LSAT is still usable) and hit NU up. (apply early early early).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:42 am

megaTTTron wrote:
Anacreon wrote:
Haha. I don't know. If it were me. I'd wait a year or two (so long as that LSAT is still usable) and hit NU up. (apply early early early).
Chances at NU w/ 3.05 (say) and 171 with two years of AmeriCorps WE?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:44 am

Anacreon wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
Anacreon wrote:
Chances at NU w/ 3.05 (say) and 171 with two years of AmeriCorps WE?
not sure, lot's of NUers on TLS. I'll bump for you. lol

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:48 am

megaTTTron wrote:
not sure, lot's of NUers on TLS. I'll bump for you. lol
Haha thanks. I figured your skyline avatar combined with your username meant you were NU ;)

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 am

In my honest opinion, I think everything will be better off in all prospects for you after 3 - 5 years.
Obviously, ITE sucks. According to the TLS standard, your numbers suck. Yet, there is hope. Although many of you guys might not trust the FED, Bernanke has recently spoke out that the economy will start to recover in 3 - 5 years. I think job prospects will start pickin up in 3 - 4 years, because in the end economy is cyclical. Ultimately, by the time you apply (give or take in 3 - 5 years), everything will be in much better shape - your numbers, the economy, legal hirings, and etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:33 am

With a 3.0 and a 171 I just don't think there's any way you will get into NU, even with 10 years of WE. I think with that low of a GPA you'd need to get like a 175 or higher to have a shot. Sorry to say but that's a super low GPA. That's why I voted for GW (now or in several years, whichever you prefer)

hmmm, i didn't notice before that you haven't applied to GWU yet. Hate to say it but I'm not sure you'll even get in

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:42 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:With a 3.0 and a 171 I just don't think there's any way you will get into NU, even with 10 years of WE. I think with that low of a GPA you'd need to get like a 175 or higher to have a shot. Sorry to say but that's a super low GPA. That's why I voted for GW (now or in several years, whichever you prefer)

hmmm, i didn't notice before that you haven't applied to GWU yet. Hate to say it but I'm not sure you'll even get in
I disagree. 2 years WE with an ED app to NU imho has a decent chance.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:44 am

I'd say wait the three years. Honestly, even if (all of the following):

(a) you would get into GW now
(b) you DIDN'T have a good job lined up for the next three years, and
(c) you would NOT get into NU in 3 years

I still think you'd be better off waiting. The difference b/t the job prospects of the 2 schools is not astronomical, but it is significant. The difference in job prospects b/t GW in one year (when you'll do OCIs) and NU in three years is likely to be astronomical. Even if you were just treading water with a so-so job, I'd say stick with it.

It's just my opinion; I also can't speculate on your admissions chances at either school beyond what LSP says.

Another question: did you prep for the LSAT? Can you maybe get an even higher score?

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:48 am

I barely got off the GW waitlist with the same GPA and a much higher LSAT. I'm not saying you won't do better, but if I were you, I'd apply broadly (WUSTL might love you) and add some more options to the poll. On topic: good WE never hurts. What's the rush?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:01 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I barely got off the GW waitlist with the same GPA and a much higher LSAT. I'm not saying you won't do better, but if I were you, I'd apply broadly (WUSTL might love you) and add some more options to the poll. On topic: good WE never hurts. What's the rush?
It depends really on the overall strength of his app. Friend of mine got into GULC this cycle with same stats, granted he switched his app to ED at the last minute.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 am

i dunno guys. i know we're talking about NU here and they like the WE and all that, but it's still NU. i still think they hold as rigorously to LSAT and GPA standards as any other top dog school - they just happen to take largely from a different subgroup of applicants (ones with WE.) i seem to remember someone this cycle with a 177/3.1 who got shut out of t14 and even ED'd to Michigan I believe?....i know that's a different school but it's a school in the same league

edit: i suppose i should have said "i dunno ArchRoark"

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:42 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:i dunno guys. i know we're talking about NU here and they like the WE and all that, but it's still NU. i still think they hold as rigorously to LSAT and GPA standards as any other top dog school - they just happen to take largely from a different subgroup of applicants (ones with WE.) i seem to remember someone this cycle with a 177/3.1 who got shut out of t14 and even ED'd to Michigan I believe?....i know that's a different school but it's a school in the same league

edit: i suppose i should have said "i dunno ArchRoark"
FYI, I am accepted at GULC and NU with a decently lower GPA, but a higher LSAT. However, I am a URM. If you are thinking of the same 177/3.1 person that I am, then that poster actually got accepted at GULC (http://lawschoolnumbers.com/almostfamous). Just take a look at LSN for NU for the last few cycles. They are known for dipping below 3.0 given a 170+ LSAT with WE. UVA also accepts a number of ~3.0ish/170+ applicants every year given that they ED, but as it gets later in the cycle they start closing the floodgates on 170/3.0s.

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

IIRC, DesertFox was a 2.7x 170+ admit at NU.

If you are set on going this cycle, I would try to throw an ED application at UVA, if dinged (you are notified within 2 weeks) then throw an ED app at GULC. One may bite.

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:12 am

ArchRoark wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:I barely got off the GW waitlist with the same GPA and a much higher LSAT. I'm not saying you won't do better, but if I were you, I'd apply broadly (WUSTL might love you) and add some more options to the poll. On topic: good WE never hurts. What's the rush?
It depends really on the overall strength of his app. Friend of mine got into GULC this cycle with same stats, granted he switched his app to ED at the last minute.
What makes an application strong aside from numbers? My softs are bleh. Student government at a west coast BIGSTATEU and lots of volunteering. PT work during school, FT work in summers. Not sure how my letters would look. HUGE upward grade trend but without an excuse other than I chose the wrong major my freshmen year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dddhhh

Bronze

Post by dddhhh » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:05 am

Try for NU.
Apply early/ED, interview, gain WE and do something meaningful in your time off, write all the optional essays, perfect your resume, & get LORs from new contacts if you're unsure of the merit of your current ones. If you look at lawschoolnumbers NU has given some splitter love so there's hope! Good luck :D

jaestro

New

Post by jaestro » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Throw in some regional schools of your liking and go for money.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:59 pm

LSATs will get more competitive in 3 years. In the last 3 years, almost every school has raised its LSAT median atleast 1 point. Cornell went from 167 -> 168. Vandy from 167->169. Duke is up to 170...etc.

You probably arent going to get into NU. Especially when their median lsat rises even more.

If your goal is NU, then wait. If you will be happy somewhere else, go to GW. As for taking the time off, its up to you.

Sorry, good luck.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:18 pm

I don't know why anyone hasn't suggested this yet.

If you are set on getting into a T14, or maybe getting $$, I would think about spending a 5th year in school. It sounds like you aren't in a rush anyway. Pick up an easy minor or a 2nd major. Raise your GPA to 3.25-3.3. That extra $30,000 you spend on another year of college will be worth it when you get a scholarship for law school or go to a law school (like NU) that can get you a high paying starting salary.

Of course, that's just me. I loved college and would've stayed 10 years had they let me. Lol.

EDIT: This suggestion would require you getting ALL A's and A+'s that 5th year. For many, that is easier said than done, even in easy classes.
Last edited by NorCalBruin on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm

NU. DF, etc.

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:07 pm

ResolutePear wrote:NU. DF, etc.
DF?

Also, 7 people have said GWU but there have only been a few explanations suggesting why I should apply/atten after this summer.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:12 pm

I choose NU just because you will have time to see how the legal market continues to change and maybe get a leg up on your competition by having work experience. I really like GW but it will still be there in 3 years.

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I choose NU just because you will have time to see how the legal market continues to change and maybe get a leg up on your competition by having work experience. I really like GW but it will still be there in 3 years.
But will their 75%ile be above my current LSAT? Remember my GPA is low so I need an advantage.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”