T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
memoryl0ss
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm

T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby memoryl0ss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 pm

First
Last edited by memoryl0ss on Sat May 28, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:24 pm

memoryl0ss wrote:First time poster, long time reader. All of my apps were before Nov. 1

So I have gotten into a couple of DNCG with one at a 10,000 scholarship and the other TBD but based on last cycle I expect about the same 10,0000.

I have also been admitted to Seton Hall with a free ride. Originally from Jersey, wouldn't mind going back there and the school is well respected in the state.

I am currently waiting for University of Washington (Seattle) and University of Colorado. Based on my calculations from last cycle, I'd get about 50% from both, possible more from Colorado. These schools appeal to me as being the top schools in their respective regions.

Other considerations:

1. My first year living expenses will not be borrowed, I plan on burning through my savings
2. I know DNCG gives me the most options. I am torn between prosecutor somewhere v. law firms. If I decide firm is the way I go before May 1 this discussion will be a moot point.
3. I have been to Washington and Colorado and love the areas. Been to one of DNCG and loved the area. The other will be visited in February. So I could see myself living in any of the above for the foreseeable future
4. With my calculations (just done quickly in my head) my debt load will be (not taking grants into consideration which should be considerable considering unemployed as of June 26, same day I got my LSAT back haha):
DNCG: $150,000 (less grants)
Wash and Colo: $70,000- $90,000 depending on exact scholly amount
Seton: Less than $40,000, perhaps as low as $20,000

So short of T14 or bust, which is how my ego is leaning, what is everyone's opinion?
PS: Would it make a difference if I swear I am going to work harder than everyone else and finish in the top 1% of my class because no one will work as hard? thought I may as well end with sarcasm :)


You don't really mention where you want to practice, which has a large bearing on your school choice.

memoryl0ss
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby memoryl0ss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 pm

My in
Last edited by memoryl0ss on Sat May 28, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:36 pm

Add my name to the "DNCG with the lowest total cost" list.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:37 pm

I'd take U. Washington half-ride. But I agree, a lot depends where you want to practice and end up living.

memoryl0ss
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby memoryl0ss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:42 pm

Knock wrote:I'd take U. Washington half-ride. But I agree, a lot depends where you want to practice and end up living.


For arguments sake, let me say that I am truly open to where I want to live. In theory, I have no problem living and working in any of the areas (Rockies, PNW, NJ, NYC)

While I do have a preference, I would like to see what other's think taking that element out. I don't want to bias anyone's thought process. So where I want to live will play a part in my final discussion for it is subjective. But from an objective standpoint, everything else being equal, what would everyone choose?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby Knock » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:47 pm

memoryl0ss wrote:
Knock wrote:I'd take U. Washington half-ride. But I agree, a lot depends where you want to practice and end up living.


For arguments sake, let me say that I am truly open to where I want to live. In theory, I have no problem living and working in any of the areas (Rockies, PNW, NJ, NYC)

While I do have a preference, I would like to see what other's think taking that element out. I don't want to bias anyone's thought process. So where I want to live will play a part in my final discussion for it is subjective. But from an objective standpoint, everything else being equal, what would everyone choose?


Well, from what i've heard, U. Washington is strong in the PNW, especially since that region has the reputation of being fairly insular. DCNG aren't sure bets, especially at sticker. I admit I don't know much about U. Colorado, so I kind of didn't factor it into it. But that's just what I'd choose, i'm sure many would disagree. I just think a half-ride at U. Washington would be a good balance of ranking/career prospects and manageable debt level. There are definitely arguments to be made for the other schools though.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 pm

For 70-90k at the T1?? Thats enough debt that I would call this one for most liked DNCG and not close. Unless you specifically want to work in seattle or portland.

memoryl0ss
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby memoryl0ss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:56 pm

tkgrrett wrote:For 70-90k at the T1?? Thats enough debt that I would call this one for most liked DNCG and not close. Unless you specifically want to work in seattle or portland.


I can see your reasoning (edit: especially with the lack of a serious LRAP). So what would be considered a reasonable debt load in your opinion?

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby rundoxierun » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm

memoryl0ss wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:For 70-90k at the T1?? Thats enough debt that I would call this one for most liked DNCG and not close. Unless you specifically want to work in seattle or portland.


I can see your reasoning (edit: especially with the lack of a serious LRAP). So what would be considered a reasonable debt load in your opinion?


For going for the T1 without a specific regional preference?? I would say the 70k end of your range isnt far off if the other options stay 150k. It was the 80/90k when I think its def time for T14. 40-60k would be very reasonable.

memoryl0ss
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby memoryl0ss » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:29 pm

Say
Last edited by memoryl0ss on Sat May 28, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: T14 v. T2 free ride (definite) or T1 half (possible)

Postby northwood » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:37 pm

If you want the public service, I would go to the best school at the lowest cost in the region you want to practice. Since you have a full ride at a T2, then I would go there. However, things may change with time, and you may not like what you think you want to do going into law school. So you really need to do some soul searching once you have all of your offers/ acceptances in. Then make the best decision. Talk to some DA's offices, and see what they suggest. Also, talk to career services at each prospective school and see how they do in regards to internships at local das offices.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests