All non tier 1 people, why are you going to law school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cinephile

Re: All non tier 1 people, why are you going to law school?

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:But if 5 years out of law school you've never had a legal job nobody is going to hire you just because you've been working hard at the Cheesecake factory

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:46 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:A lot of people split, or do PI first summer and firm second. From what I can tell from friends and classmates, the issue seems to come up only when someone's resume shows that they have been exclusively committed to PI for a long time - for example, a former social worker who worked for a DV shelter her first summer of law school got grilled pretty intensely about why she wanted to work for a firm.

Haha I better not do it then. My WE is split half corp half PI, I should probably try not to confuse employers.

Nah, I bet if you have some corp stuff on your resume you'll just look like a civic-minded guy and not a dyed-in-the-wool PI crusader just out to take one summer's worth of their money :mrgreen:

Yah, ironically enough I'm slightly worried about getting tarred with the PI brush. I want to do some "classically liberal" PI this summer and I have a very political/public service resume. I do have a little corporate stuff though.

Still, I think that I'd be pretty convincing if someone asked me why I wanted to work for a firm, I'm very passionate about the work that corporate litigators do.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Veyron wrote:
Yah, ironically enough I'm slightly worried about getting tarred with the PI brush.

That should be the least of your worries.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 pm

MTal wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Yah, ironically enough I'm slightly worried about getting tarred with the PI brush.

What should be the most of my worries, nuclear war?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:
Veyron wrote:

The threat posed to Israel by unrest in the Middle East, duh.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Palestine.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm

Bears

R1Law

Postby R1Law » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:46 pm

MrAnon wrote:They are not second class citizens but they do go out in the world and operate in a whole other area that is decidedly not the corporate world. They have to accept all the trappings that come with that lifestyle.

I really hope you don't believe the only people who get great jobs out of law school are those graduating from tier one schools... Do an attorney search on a major firm's website and you will see this quite clearly.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:54 pm

R1Law wrote:
MrAnon wrote:They are not second class citizens but they do go out in the world and operate in a whole other area that is decidedly not the corporate world. They have to accept all the trappings that come with that lifestyle.

I really hope you don't believe the only people who get great jobs out of law school are those graduating from tier one schools... Do an attorney search on a major firm's website and you will see this quite clearly.

Major PRE ITE thinking, it was much easier to get a good job out of a non-T14 ten years ago.

However, yes, major firms DO hire the top 10% from Fordham!

What happens to the other 90%.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:55 am

R1Law wrote:

Yep, and not all SCOTUS clerks come from the T14. Great point.

fragged

Postby fragged » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:52 am

730 wrote:So for all the people who didn't get into a top school and are still going, what were your reasons, and what is your plan? And what about all the debt?

I accidentally sent my med school app to a T2 law school and they let me in. So I figured what the hell?

fragged

Postby fragged » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:12 am

romothesavior wrote:
R1Law wrote:

Step 1: Chant the T14 Mantra: "I am better than everyone else"
Step 2: Start as many threads as possible on TLS and repeat the mantra (change wording periodically to avoid suspicion)
Step 3: Hope that if you repeat enough, everyone will believe you
Step 4: Finish law school at your T14 and get BigLaw job
Step 5: Acquire currency, kiss ass to the partners, work 70 hours a week
Step 6: Get burned out, quit
Step 7: Discover Harry Truman's famous quote ("The C students run the world")
Step 8: Get a job at a firm owned by a guy who graduated from the TTT you made fun of on TLS 5 years ago
Step 9: Lie to all your T14 friends and tell them you make more than you actually do at your new job
Step 10: Get married, have kids, and raise them with the same, idiotic superiority complex you have

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:57 am

fragged wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
R1Law wrote:

Step 1: Chant the T14 Mantra: "I am better than everyone else"
Step 2: Start as many threads as possible on TLS and repeat the mantra (change wording periodically to avoid suspicion)
Step 8: Get a job at a firm owned by a guy who graduated from the TTT you made fun of on TLS 5 years ago
Step 9: Lie to all your T14 friends and tell them you make more than you actually do at your new job
Step 10: Get married, have kids, and raise them with the same, idiotic superiority complex you have

It is true that at the extremes, TTTers do make more money (i.e. mass torts). However, why even bother going to college then? Don't you know that NFL players make more money than lawyers!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:24 am

fragged wrote:Step 1: Chant the T14 Mantra: "I am better than everyone else"

Ahh... there is truly nothing better than when I of all people get called out as being a T14 elitist.

I don't even go to a T14 you stooge. Just because I'm just not an arrogant, snot-nosed little 0L headed to a TTT with my head in the sand doesn't mean in I'm a "holier than thou" T14er either. I actually understand the basics of how the legal market works (probably a good idea before someone goes to law school, hmm?), and I am confident in calling people out for making catastrophically stupid investments of time and money, especially when they are using such atrociously poor reasoning to justify it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

Veyron wrote:It is true that at the extremes, TTTers do make more money (i.e. mass torts). However, why even bother going to college then? Don't you know that NFL players make more money than lawyers!

Hey dude, you know that not all NFL players come from Division I right? A lot of them came from DII and DIII schools! And a lot of DI players never make it to the league! I've even heard that some of the bad NFL teams like to draft people from their local Division III school because they think they got a better education and won't want to leave for a good team like those arrogant, elitist Division I kids!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 am

romothesavior wrote:
Veyron wrote:It is true that at the extremes, TTTers do make more money (i.e. mass torts). However, why even bother going to college then? Don't you know that NFL players make more money than lawyers!

Hey dude, you know that not all NFL players come from Division I right? A lot of them came from DII and DIII schools! And a lot of DI players never make it to the league! I've even heard that some of the bad NFL teams like to draft people from their local Division III school because they think they got a better education and won't want to leave for a good team like those arrogant, elitist Division I kids!

Service time for most NFL players are short, and you end up with lifelong medical problems. I think many careers are much better careers if you consider 22 - 65 combined career earnings future valued to age 65. That's not factoring the added medical benefit and/or loss of quality and life span later.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:12 pm

[quote="fragged]Step 1: Chant the T14 Mantra: "I am better than everyone else"
Step 10: Get married, have kids, and raise them with the same, idiotic superiority complex you have[/quote]

LOVE this post; so true. I've been a Biglaw paralegal for three years and I've already seen this exact scenario happen to several different people.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Service time for most NFL players are short, and you end up with lifelong medical problems. I think many careers are much better careers if you consider 22 - 65 combined career earnings future valued to age 65. That's not factoring the added medical benefit and/or loss of quality and life span later.

You know what else is a short career where you end up with lifelong medical problems - BIGLAW (and it doesn't pay as well).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:24 pm

Veyron wrote:
You know what else is a short career where you end up with lifelong medical problems - BIGLAW (and it doesn't pay as well).

Being a former athlete (not NFL) with medical problems, this is offensive.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Sometimes, I just cannot tell when you are pulling my leg.

In any event, biglaw attorneys do have a higher incidence of certain medical conditions than the general population due to job related demands. So, though I may be politically incorrect, I am factually right.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:

My family nicknamed OCI "The Combine" :lol:.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

In any event, biglaw attorneys do have a higher incidence of certain medical conditions than the general population due to job related demands. So, though I may be politically incorrect, I am factually right.

Oh you mean, I post like you do sometimes? :lol:

I was not offended, but I do think it was an insensitive joke. It isn't the same because you could avoid the medical problems you talk about, but you could not avoid the same occupational hazards I am talking about. And it is a lot more acute and debilitating.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Oh you mean, I post like you do sometimes? :lol:

I was not offended, but I do think it was an insensitive joke. It isn't the same because you could avoid the medical problems you talk about, but you could not avoid the same occupational hazards I am talking about. And it is a lot more acute and debilitating.

I'm honored.

A torn ACL is more debilitating than depression and heart disease?

My family nicknamed OCI "The Combine" :lol:.

The sports --> biglaw analogies are drastically underplayed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Sarcasm... not your strong suit.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Veyron wrote:A torn ACL is more debilitating than depression and heart disease?

Depression and heart and heart disease is correlated to job stress, but there are ways to reduce job stress and live healthier to cut down the risk factors... Asians work MUCH MUCH more stressful jobs and I don't think they are higher in heart disease.

There apparently no way I can think of to reduce the risk of getting rolled over by 300lbs.

Also, I was mostly talking about concussions. As someone with more than a couple serious concussions ... it is not something I would wish for anyone, and NFL players experience what I experienced in maybe 1 game.

Lastly, I had soft tissue tears in pretty much every major joint in my body plus some minor ones. Don't make fun of it, you don't understand.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”