The "Truth" About Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Re: The "Truth" About Law School

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:34 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:It has nothing to do with "working hard." Plenty of kids work hard and get sub-par grades, regardless of the type of school. But the thought that "it really isn't in your control" is asinine.

Even if its not in your control, you still have no way to know how you'll do before you get there, so making an investment based on that is absolutely stupid.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:42 pm

this new back and forth is both entertaining and kinda off the point lol

i think all you guys are arguing about is the concept of control...

it is in everyone's control how much effort they put into something...but the results are not within everyone's control (i say this in general terms, i.e. while we all have some level of control over the things we do, we obviously cannot have the ultimate control over every function to yield an x result...DF's use of the word 'influence' may be more appropriate here when we're talking about results)

you can control how hard you work in law school, but you cannot control what grade you get...to some extent, this would be true even if law school were not graded on a curve, but more so because law school is on a curve

gerbal

Postby gerbal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Last edited by gerbal on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 pm

I think with the current state of the economy, there are aren't really any "safe" professions. Just my 2 cents as a 0L

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:06 am

OP apparently lacks the ability to make money or escape Canada. OP can't figure out what to do with his life. TLS makes fun of him for five pages. We all win.

I didn't read the thread, so is that what happened?

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:40 am

dextermorgan wrote:OP apparently lacks the ability to make money or escape Canada. OP can't figure out what to do with his life. TLS makes fun of him for five pages. We all win.

I didn't read the thread, so is that what happened?

You should really read the thread before commenting. Really, next time read it... really, next time read the thread... Really, next time read the thread before you even think of commenting, plz.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:23 am

Is the only field OP didn't mention business, accounting or finance?

I'm not sure how to respond to him because he is really all over the place with his thoughts. But I think he wants reassurance that Law School isn't as risky as it seems to be in this economy - in the fact that finding any job seems to be a challenge for many people. If you don't go into law (or any profession) with a reasonable expectation of the potential job market you are just fooling yourself. If you can do it without any debt, why not go for law? You seem to have talked yourself out of everything else and you seem to really enjoy going to school and taking tests. Law school could be a great time for you - but not if you are going to put yourself in a financial hole you can't dig yourself out of.

I agree there is no point in going to medical school if you don't want to be a doctor, same for dentist, etc. Just because those fields may or may not be a better long term investment than law, if you hate hospitals (for example) don't force yourself to be in them for a few years of training.

If your real goal is to get out of Canada and live somewhere warm...hmm, honestly - won't getting a job in the US be harder if you aren't a citizen or LPR? I know it can be done, but that will limit your job prospects even more.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”