The "Truth" About Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bildungsroman

Re: The "Truth" About Law School

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:34 pm

So what the OP is saying is not every profession is very lucrative, and those that are require a lot of hard work? I for one am shocked. I thought that scoring well on a standardized test was enough to ensure models and bottles while working 30 hour weeks.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:35 pm

omg wrote:
BobCostas wrote:Nursing is in dire straights, seriously look in to it.

Huh, look at this nurse gracing CNN's recent "Best Bets for Jobs in 2011" story. Someone must not have told him what dire straits his profession is in.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/01/07/be ... =allsearch

meh those things definitely need to be taken with a grain of salt, pretty sure attorney was on there in like 2008. and i know therapists (not physical) are on there and that market is totally shot.

as for nurses the only people i know with nursing degrees can't find jobs, but then again i'm in california where the are no jobs period.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:35 pm

daesonesb wrote:You can try as hard as you want, but I saw far too many really smart people last semester study 12 hours a day for 2 months before exams, and end up below median. It really isn't in your control, and the I'LL BE THE EXCEPTION! attitude is naive.

Wait, so people aren't in control of their grades? lol?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:38 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:You can try as hard as you want, but I saw far too many really smart people last semester study 12 hours a day for 2 months before exams, and end up below median. It really isn't in your control, and the I'LL BE THE EXCEPTION! attitude is naive.

Define control? There are people who worked insanely hard and ended up below median.

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Seeing as how all the traditional "good" fields are overloaded to the point where 45k a year "advanced" degrees don't differentiate you from the the ketchup refilling boy at fudrucker's, I'm thinking it's time we here on TLS put our brains together and come up with a whole new field. Then we make people think they want whatever it is we "do" and profit?

I think the membership of this forum spans the country, so we seem to have an infrastructure set up where we could possibly personally advertise it in an efficient way.

i.e. Screw clean teeth, everyone knows it's much more important to have butter smeared on your face every 3 weeks. Not just any butter, special butter that can only be made by a practicing BD (butter doctorate).

Once we make everyone believe this true, we all get our BD's Butter Academy which is accredited by the ABA (American butter association, funny how that works so great). The kicker is we'll be the ABA and we won't acredit any other butter schools other than the Butter Academy.

This might be the best idea I've ever had. Any suggestions for anything not as stupid as butter facing?

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

Define control? There are people who worked insanely hard and ended up below median.

(You tell people to "define" their statements, quite a bit, why is this? lol.)

It has nothing to do with "working hard." Plenty of kids work hard and get sub-par grades, regardless of the type of school. But the thought that "it really isn't in your control" is asinine.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:48 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

It has nothing to do with "working hard." Plenty of kids work hard and get sub-par grades, regardless of the type of school. But the thought that "it really isn't in your control" is asinine.

it obviously is NOT within everyone's control. If it was, a good 60-70% would be in the top 10%. However, this is a mathematical impossibility. Due to factors beyond people's control (i.e. the curve), not every one can get top 10%, that simple.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:50 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:In light of this new info I stand corrected, every job/internship I got in the past was because I didnt hustle - you guys are right. Moving to a new city recently with no connections I should have easily found a job!! :D

one could argue that your choice of locale may be a part of that hustle lol

THIS. one thing from romo's posts that should be clear is that you can get hired as a nurse in the mid-west no prob. But out here in California its a huge pain in the ass.

I've been accused of not being able to hustle before on here but before I moved home I had a sweet $18hr job that required a master's degree (I hadn't even graduate ug yet).

There is hustle and then there is location. I chose to move back to southern california and am fine with my current non-impressive job because its january and it was 76 degrees and i went to the beach.

Location is a huge factor in getting a job period. I don't here people on here saying oh you struck out at Biglaw in DC, man you must not be able to hustle.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

haha I hadn't realized I do this.

But what I was getting at is that people can do everything they can think of and get bottom third pwnd. They just don't have the right skills to do well.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:53 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:it obviously is NOT within everyone's control. If it was, a good 60-70% would be in the top 10%. However, this is a mathematical impossibility. Due to factors beyond people's control (i.e. the curve), not every one can get top 10%, that simple.

Why would a "good 60-70%" be in the top 10%? Control has nothing to do with rankings and work effort. Control has to do with your study methods and overall ability. If you max out in your "controllable" factors, and land in the median, then you're in the median, and it was your control. If you do nothing all semester, take the final blind, and then end up bottom 10%, then it was your control.

Just saying "LOL IM A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE. ILL WORK SO HARD." has nothing to do with control, but the grade result is in fact "controllable."

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:it obviously is NOT within everyone's control. If it was, a good 60-70% would be in the top 10%. However, this is a mathematical impossibility. Due to factors beyond people's control (i.e. the curve), not every one can get top 10%, that simple.

Why would a "good 60-70%" be in the top 10%? Control has nothing to do with rankings and work effort. Control has to do with your study methods and overall ability. If you max out in your "controllable" factors, and land in the median, then you're in the median, and it was your control. If you do nothing all semester, take the final blind, and then end up bottom 10%, then it was your control.

Just saying "LOL IM A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE. ILL WORK SO HARD." has nothing to do with control, but the grade result is in fact "controllable."

You really only showed it's influenceable.

Which law school do you go to?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Glad to see some people on TLS don't live in a bubble and dont consider a few weeks of being unemployed = not "hustling", ITE.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:

You really only showed it's influenceable.
Which law school do you go to?

(Obvious 0L is obvious.) But this can be applied to academics in general. Some schools have concentrations (mine) that curve their classes. The idea of a curve is not a new concept solely used in a law school environment.

Edit: The ability to influence your grade is a subset of control. People are, obviously, unable to completely control their grades. Otherwise, everyone would grant themselves A's due to their superior reasoning and intellectual capacity and no curve would be present.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:03 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:(Obvious 0L is obvious.) But this can be applied to academics in general. Some schools have concentrations (mine) that curve their classes. The idea of a curve is not a new concept solely used in a law school environment.

There are people would could study 24/7 and never break top 1/3rd in law school.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:(Obvious 0L is obvious.) But this can be applied to academics in general. Some schools have concentrations (mine) that curve their classes. The idea of a curve is not a new concept solely used in a law school environment.

There are people would could study 24/7 and never break top 1/3rd in law school.

This goes without saying. People could study 24/7 in UG and never break top 1/3 of our curve, but they still had control over their grade.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:05 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

This goes without saying. People could study 24/7 in UG and never break top 1/3 of our curve, but they still had control over their grade.

But not total control. Which is what I was getting at.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BrownBears09 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

But not total control. Which is what I was getting at.

Of course people don't completely control what grade they receive in a course. If they did, nobody would study and everyone would get As, lol.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:09 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:Of course people don't completely control what grade they receive in a course. If they did, everyone would get As, lol.

No they wouldn't. Some people are pretty fucking lazy and have impulse control problems.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:10 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I hope to god you are that person. You smug bastard. Also, do NOT compare an undergrad curve to law school curve. Its... just no... just... ahh... I want you to go to law school and update us on your theories a year from now.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I hope to god you are that person. You smug bastard. Also, do NOT compare an undergrad curve to law school curve. Its... just no... just... ahh... I want you to go to law school and update us on your theories a year from now.

--ImageRemoved--

/end hijack

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:20 pm

I'm not mad,

just frustrated by your inability to understand the concept of lots of smart, harding working people being graded on a curve.

Thanks for asking about my feelings though.

Very nice of you.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm

I guarantee I could be in the bottom 1/3 if I tried.

BrownBears09

Postby BrownBears09 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm not mad,

just frustrated by your inability to understand the concept of lots of smart, harding working people being graded on a curve.

Very nice of you.

I've dealt with a vaguely similar curve environment, you'll get no sympathy from me.

And np, <3.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:24 pm

BrownBears09 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:I'm not mad,

Very nice of you.

I've dealt with a vaguely similar curve environment, you'll get no sympathy from me.

And np, <3.

1. No you haven't.
2. I don't want your sympathy, I rocked my 1st semester
<3

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:25 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I guarantee I could be in the bottom 1/3 if I tried.

roflburgers, /thread (or /tangent anyway).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”