The Truth about UC Irvine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
arhmcpo

Re: The Truth about UC Irvine

Postby arhmcpo » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Harsh post by TTT- but I wonder.... if the first alumni will be kids who went their for free to pursue public interest work (which is low paying) how exactly will they act as useful alumni to the next generation of UCI students who pay sticker or close to it - and who are not interested in the low paying public interest route?

Not certain the school will have a real identity for years - having high tuition in a high COL location - does not necessarily equal a public interest lawyer factory... :(

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:34 pm

arhmcpo wrote:Harsh post by TTT- but I wonder.... if the first alumni will be kids who went their for free to pursue public interest work (which is low paying) how exactly will they act as useful alumni to the next generation of UCI students who pay sticker or close to it - and who are not interested in the low paying public interest route?

Not certain the school will have a real identity for years - having high tuition in a high COL location - does not necessarily equal a public interest lawyer factory... :(

Chemerinsky and the faculty are leveraging their industry connections for the students. I think a few V25s are coming to their OCI.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:51 pm

This blog is ridiculous. flcath has constantly slandered UCI.

UCI should do fine. Top 20? Maybe, but probably not. Are they going to be worse than T1? No.

UCI is not intended to be a public interest law school. They, like many others, strongly support public interest but will place a great deal of emphasis on attracting employers for OCI.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Why on earth would employers come to an unaccredited school? If a V25 wants a bunch of kids who are not admitted to the bar they can find them at Pomona Junior College.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:42 pm

leveraging industry connections in what way? This sounds like something from an admissions brochure. Pretty much every biglaw firm would carry on with or without chemerinsky as a buddy.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm

MrAnon wrote:Why on earth would employers come to an unaccredited school? If a V25 wants a bunch of kids who are not admitted to the bar they can find them at Pomona Junior College.

UCI will be provisionally accredited by next spring, at which point all students will be eligible to take the bar in any state. Also...

"Employers who made offers to UC Irvine students through the on-campus interview process include Jones Day; O'Melveny & [deleted]; Morrison & Forrester; Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; and Crowell & Moring, among other national and regional firms, and public interest organizations including the ACLU of Southern California and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

"Bob Williams, the firmwide recruiting partner at Sheppard Mullin, said the school's accreditation status had no bearing on their decision to hire from UC Irvine. 'I think it would be kind of arrogant of an employer not to take notice of that school,' Williams said. 'This is a group of students who certainly are not less qualified than other groups.' Williams said the start-up nature of the school in some ways gives the students more marketable skills, because they have to launch programs like the law review from scratch without any institutionalized guidance."

http://law.uci.edu/pdf/djournal_120710.pdf

Concept

Postby Concept » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 pm

flcath wrote:when we need to be eliminating law schools

YES!

Sorry, I found the need to really agree with that clause in your post.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:55 pm

ViP wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Why on earth would employers come to an unaccredited school? If a V25 wants a bunch of kids who are not admitted to the bar they can find them at Pomona Junior College.

UCI will be provisionally accredited by next spring, at which point all students will be eligible to take the bar in any state. Also...

"Employers who made offers to UC Irvine students through the on-campus interview process include Jones Day; O'Melveny & [deleted]; Morrison & Forrester; Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; and Crowell & Moring, among other national and regional firms, and public interest organizations including the ACLU of Southern California and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

"Bob Williams, the firmwide recruiting partner at Sheppard Mullin, said the school's accreditation status had no bearing on their decision to hire from UC Irvine. 'I think it would be kind of arrogant of an employer not to take notice of that school,' Williams said. 'This is a group of students who certainly are not less qualified than other groups.' Williams said the start-up nature of the school in some ways gives the students more marketable skills, because they have to launch programs like the law review from scratch without any institutionalized guidance."

Please link to "will be" provisionally accredited. Article says merely says eligible for it.

That link says 30 employers came to OCI. Your quote talks about no more than 6 biglaw firms. I'm not sure an OCI of 30 employers and 6 biglaw firms is any different than lots of T3s have. The firms arent going to weigh down their classes with UCI students so at most the six firms might take 1 student each.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:58 pm

MrAnon wrote:leveraging industry connections in what way? This sounds like something from an admissions brochure. Pretty much every biglaw firm would carry on with or without chemerinsky as a buddy.

:lol:

Yeah, not drinking the UC kool-aid here.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 pm

California Babe wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Your average interviewer at any biglaw firm wont be able to tell the difference between Irvine, Hastings, and UCLA for that matter.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Hastings grads are much taller and sexier

obviously

Concept

Postby Concept » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Borhas wrote:
California Babe wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Your average interviewer at any biglaw firm wont be able to tell the difference between Irvine, Hastings, and UCLA for that matter.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Hastings grads are much taller and sexier

obviously

Yes, and Hastings grads are all descendants of the soldiers who fought in the Battle of Hastings.

What, you didn't know?

ViP

Postby ViP » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:17 pm

MrAnon wrote:
ViP wrote:

Please link to "will be" provisionally accredited. Article says merely says eligible for it.

That link says 30 employers came to OCI. Your quote talks about no more than 6 biglaw firms. I'm not sure an OCI of 30 employers and 6 biglaw firms is any different than lots of T3s have. The firms arent going to weigh down their classes with UCI students so at most the six firms might take 1 student each.

My quote simply addresses the comment you made.

And if you actually question whether or not UCI will be accredited, you should probably do some research on UCI and the accreditation process. Plus, the ABA team visited UCI in October and said it was absolutely blown away by everything UCI had to offer.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:00 am

I did do some research! I read the article published by UCI and it said that UCI is eligible for accreditation soon. Should prospective students become experts on the intricacies of the accreditation process before plunking down their 6 figures in tuition? No thank you.

here is some more official information:

The UC Irvine School of Law will seek accreditation from the American Bar Association as soon as possible, a process that takes place over a three- to five-year period.

Under ABA rules, no law school may be considered for accreditation until it is in its second year of operation. It is our intention to apply for accreditation during our second year and our hope is to be provisionally accredited at the end of that academic year.

Full accreditation requires full compliance with all ABA standards after having been provisionally approved for at least two years. A student at a provisionally approved law school and an individual who graduates while the school is provisionally approved are entitled to the same recognition given to students and graduates of fully approved law schools.

The dean is fully informed as to the Standards and Rules of Procedure for the Approval of Law Schools by the American Bar Association. The administration and the dean are determined to devote all necessary resources and take all necessary steps to present a program of legal education that will qualify for approval by the American Bar Association. The Law School makes no representation to any applicant that it will be approved by the American Bar Association prior to the graduation of any matriculating student.

http://www.law.uci.edu/accreditation.html

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 am

MrAnon wrote:I did do some research! I read the article published by UCI and it said that UCI is eligible for accreditation soon. Should prospective students become experts on the intricacies of the accreditation process before plunking down their 6 figures in tuition? No thank you.

The UC Irvine School of Law will seek accreditation from the American Bar Association as soon as possible, a process that takes place over a three- to five-year period.

Under ABA rules, no law school may be considered for accreditation until it is in its second year of operation. It is our intention to apply for accreditation during our second year and our hope is to be provisionally accredited at the end of that academic year.

Full accreditation requires full compliance with all ABA standards after having been provisionally approved for at least two years. A student at a provisionally approved law school and an individual who graduates while the school is provisionally approved are entitled to the same recognition given to students and graduates of fully approved law schools.

The dean is fully informed as to the Standards and Rules of Procedure for the Approval of Law Schools by the American Bar Association. The administration and the dean are determined to devote all necessary resources and take all necessary steps to present a program of legal education that will qualify for approval by the American Bar Association. The Law School makes no representation to any applicant that it will be approved by the American Bar Association prior to the graduation of any matriculating student.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on UCI if you want to. Whether or not it will be accredited is not one of them.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:22 am

kapital98 wrote:This blog is ridiculous. flcath has constantly slandered UCI.

UCI should do fine. Top 20? Maybe, but probably not. Are they going to be worse than T1? No.

UCI is not intended to be a public interest law school. They, like many others, strongly support public interest but will place a great deal of emphasis on attracting employers for OCI.

Slander?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 am

California Babe wrote:
MrAnon wrote:I did do some research! I read the article published by UCI and it said that UCI is eligible for accreditation soon. Should prospective students become experts on the intricacies of the accreditation process before plunking down their 6 figures in tuition? No thank you.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on UCI if you want to. Whether or not it will be accredited is not one of them.

excellent tar

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:45 am

Who cares if it happens. The more law schools in the top 20 then the more the degree is degraded. Your average interviewer at any biglaw firm wont be able to tell the difference between Irvine, Hastings, and UCLA for that matter

Future lawyers are bad at math

Actually, there could be more than 20 schools in the "top 20" because of ties. For example, there are currently 33 schools ranked in the "top 30."

And my apologies on the strange quoting. All my formatting got messed up.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 am

UCI threads are my favorite.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:51 am

UCLA, UC-Davis, and UC-Hastings all disappointed on the 2010 CA bar exam. Hopefully UCI will do better. With such a small class, they better.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 am

How was 2L OCI?

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:39 pm

California Babe wrote:

+100000000000000. the accreditation argument is not credible; they are gonna get accredited before they graduate anyone to take the BAR. Not that there aren't plenty of other issues you can debate but I'm much more curious about this from UCI students

Desert Fox wrote:How was 2L OCI?

Its been awhile since I talked to my friend at UCI but when I last talked to him job prospects sounded like Top 10% get Biglaw. Which would make it sound more like pepperdine/loyola than a UCLA/USC peer. I don't know how those norcal schools Hast--something and King Hall compare...Are they even accredited????

flcath

Postby flcath » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 am

I'm not the author of Third Tier Reality. And no, I don't like UCI. TLS goes remarkably soft on UCI, and I'm just picking up the slack.

Imagine if, say, Cardozo started a full-court press from its PR office claiming to be T13. We'd give them an unbelievable amount of shit, and they are an actual accredited, ranked (tier 1, if I'm not mistaken) law school. Why the hell do we allow this from a school that's four tiers below Cardozo? You are aware that 15% of the USNews score is nationwide practitioner rankings; how do you plan on getting these, pray tell?

The lack of accreditation benefits UCI and they should try to stay that way for as long as possible; it provides the perfect excuse for why they aren't already T20, and allows them to make brash claims from the sidelines. It's like the kid in middle school who "would kick your ass if he weren't [in front of the teacher / on crutches / had detention right after school]." You're the Eric Cartman of law schools.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:11 am

flcath wrote:

I'm not the author of Third Tier Reality. And no, I don't like UCI. TLS goes remarkably soft on UCI, and I'm just picking up the slack.

Imagine if, say, Cardozo started a full-court press from its PR office claiming to be T13. We'd give them an unbelievable amount of shit, and they are an actual accredited, ranked (tier 1, if I'm not mistaken) law school. Why the hell do we allow this from a school that's four tiers below Cardozo? You are aware that 15% of the USNews score is nationwide practitioner rankings; how do you plan on getting these, pray tell?

The lack of accreditation benefits UCI and they should try to stay that way for as long as possible; it provides the perfect excuse for why they aren't already T20, and allows them to make brash claims from the sidelines. It's like the kid in middle school who "would kick your ass if he weren't [in front of the teacher / on crutches / had detention right after school]." You're the Eric Cartman of law schools.

Except UCI isn't everyone's favorite law school (next to butters).

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 am

Interesting. I work with a JD/MD who went to a UC law school, and she really encouraged me to apply to Irvine in large part because of their new dean.
Last edited by ATR on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 am

Does she think just being in his presence will rub off on you? It sounds pretty weak when you are sitting in an interview 4 years later and you say I went to UCI because the dean was amazing.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”