Midwest Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bball25

Midwest Schools

Postby bball25 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I would like to practice in the midwest. I have no interest in going to the west or east coast. With that being said I have been accepted to Illinois (90K), IU (120K), WUSTL (??), Depaul, Loyloa, and I am still waiting to hear back from University of Chicago, Cornell, and Notre Dame. Is their a big advantage to going to U of C or Cornell over IU, Illinois, ND, or WUSTL? I know all of the schools I have been accepted to are "regional schools", but if I'm looking for a good job in the region should I just take the money? Would it be a big advantage to go to a higher ranked school if I wanted a job in Chicago or Indy?

bball25

Re: Midwest Schools

Postby bball25 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Ill add a little bit of background info. If I did go to one of the schools offering $$ I would leave law school with no debt. I received a basketball scholarship in undergrad and my dad is a financial planner and has been saving for my education and said with one of the large scholarships he could cover the rest.
Last edited by bball25 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:24 pm

bball25 wrote:I would like to practice in the midwest. I have no interest in going to the west or east coast. With that being said I have been accepted to Illinois (90K), IU (120K), WUSTL (??), Depaul, Loyloa, and I am still waiting to hear back from University of Chicago, Cornell, and Notre Dame. Is their a big advantage to going to U of C or Cornell over IU, Illinois, ND, or WUSTL? I know all of the schools I have been accepted to are "regional schools", but if I'm looking for a good job in the region should I just take the money? Would it be a big advantage to go to a higher ranked school if I wanted a job in Chicago or Indy?

What happened at Michigan or Northwestern?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:26 pm

bball25 wrote:Ill add a little bit of background info. If I did go to one of the schools offering $$ I would leave law school with no debt. I received a basketball scoloarship in undergrad and my dad is a financial planner and has been saving for my education and said with one of the large scholarships he could cover the rest.

If you don't get UChi you should go to Illinois for chicago, or IUB for Indy.

313D313

Postby 313D313 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 pm

If you want to practice in the Midwest, illinois and indiana are strong regional schools and with that much scholarship money that might be a good choice. For the midwest, you are probably better off attending an illinois or indiana than cornell. A good friend of mine graduated from NYU and is currently working in biglaw in D.C. He wanted to work in colombus, Ohio but he had a hard time finding work. According to him, firms in colombus were far more interested in hiring top ohio state grads. University of Chicago is a different story however. (top school and in the midwest)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”