160/3.7 with surprising acceptances looking for guidance

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BEAST_mode

160/3.7 with surprising acceptances looking for guidance

Postby BEAST_mode » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:24 pm

So I've been put in an exciting, yet unexpected position and am just looking for some general guidance. With my 160/3.7/non-URM status, I anticipated a handful of acceptances within the T50-T-65 range and had for the most part come to terms with that. This expectation has certainly been met, but I've also struck gold at a number of my reaches. Although I applied to over twenty schools, I've managed to keep these select few on the radar...

GW (PT) - sticker
William & Mary - sticker
Ohio State - sticker
Maryland - $$
American - $$
Temple - $$
Villanova - $$
Brooklyn - $$$
Seton Hall - $$$

I understand that I'm in no position for biglaw, and frankly, I have no desire for it. Just a humble guy who hopes to represent labor unions in collective bargaining negotiations and potentially lobby on the side. While I'm nothing short of grateful for the acceptances I've managed to land, I'm looking to get the most for the least. As such, I would have no reservations about turning down $150,000 in debt from GW to attend Nova. Location will not make or break my decision, although I would prefer to be near a government center of some sort.

It's just that I hadn't planned on having to make some of these decisions, and I find myself struggling to do so. Just looking for some suggestions from the peanut gallery.

bk1

Re: 160/3.7 with surprising acceptances looking for guidance

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 pm

The best financial decision is probably whatever has the lowest CoA after scholarship is factored in or some place like OSU that has very little competition.

Side Question: Would you work while attending GWPT? If so, how much would you be able to offset the debt.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 pm

bk1 wrote:The best financial decision is probably whatever has the lowest CoA after scholarship is factored in or some place like OSU that has very little competition.

Side Question: Would you work while attending GWPT? If so, how much would you be able to offset the debt.

I would be working, but not enough to offset much more than living expenses and maybe 15% tuition annually.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Thats a pretty decent cycle, you could have a worse problem then too many options. For government I would say one of the NY or Phi schools most likely and GW of course too. I would say there there is a lot of competition from T 14 type schools in NY and DC though so it may be tougher in those two regions but I couldn't really tell you with confidence. Being from the Philadelphia area I can say that Nova and Temple run this area in terms of attorneys. Most likely since they don't have to compete against top schools like NY and DC with the exception of Penn. However I get the feeling a lot of Penn grads head up to NYC anyway since I don't see as many of them. Other then that the schools seem pretty similar academically so I would go with where you want to work and what is cheapest. Good luck.

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 pm

Yeah, I certainly am grateful for my cycle. With my numbers I'm sure things could have gone differently.

I spent some time in Philly last summer and really enjoyed it. Nova's campus seemed inviting; Temple a little less so, but for the price I could deal with the area. Anyone have more information on how they place in the area? Like I said earlier, I'm not really interested in Biglaw firms, so any info on how they do in medium sized firms as well as state government positions would be helpful! I'll take info on the biglaw firms too, since I know they are practically the only thing that make the majority of this site's users happy :lol:

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:57 am

I'm not quite sure about the big law firms in the city, but I live in a town about 15 miles outside the city and a lot of mid-sized and even some big firms from Philadelphia have branches in our town. I went around to all the firms and in all honesty every single partner I met, with the exception of one, was either Nova or Temple. You can find this out by just searching for law firms in the area and on their website they list all of their attorneys, whether they have 10 or 50 of them, and it tells you where they went to school, that's how I found out. I am sure you can do this in any city or market unless maybe if it is a huge firm that has too many attorneys to post personal biographies on each one. Keep in mind most of these partners were older and experienced so I'm not sure how students do at graduation but the fact that the number of Nova and Temple grads in comparison to other schools was so high is somewhat of a sign that they have a pretty good reputation in the region.

maggiejeter

Postby maggiejeter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:26 am

Your post makes me feel better- I have a little higher GPA and a little lower LSAT, so I figured I really had no chance at getting money (I applied to Maryland, Brooklyn, & Temple as well). Congrats and good luck with your decision! I like your user name- you a Marshawn fan?

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:06 pm

maggiejeter wrote:Your post makes me feel better- I have a little higher GPA and a little lower LSAT, so I figured I really had no chance at getting money (I applied to Maryland, Brooklyn, & Temple as well). Congrats and good luck with your decision! I like your user name- you a Marshawn fan?

Glad to hear it. Usually I stay away from these forums as they tend to make me feel ashamed of the LSAT score that I worked really hard for. I'm sure you know the feeling I'm talking about. So best of luck and keep your head up! Us folks with solid, midrange numbers can score big at our reaches!

And yes, I've been a Marshawn fan since the Bills era. They are just about all we have in Western NY :lol:

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:08 pm

And if anyone can present some detailed information about how Temple and Nova place in the greater Philadelphia area, I would be forever grateful.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:21 pm

acirilli1722 wrote:I'm not quite sure about the big law firms in the city, but I live in a town about 15 miles outside the city and a lot of mid-sized and even some big firms from Philadelphia have branches in our town. I went around to all the firms and in all honesty every single partner I met, with the exception of one, was either Nova or Temple. You can find this out by just searching for law firms in the area and on their website they list all of their attorneys, whether they have 10 or 50 of them, and it tells you where they went to school, that's how I found out. I am sure you can do this in any city or market unless maybe if it is a huge firm that has too many attorneys to post personal biographies on each one. Keep in mind most of these partners were older and experienced so I'm not sure how students do at graduation but the fact that the number of Nova and Temple grads in comparison to other schools was so high is somewhat of a sign that they have a pretty good reputation in the region.

I have to ask, do you pay OOS tuition to go to WVU from PA?

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:21 pm

BEAST_mode wrote:And if anyone can present some detailed information about how Temple and Nova place in the greater Philadelphia area, I would be forever grateful.

I would look at W&M, OSU, and Temple. You have had a great cycle and have some great options. Congrats.

ClosetStateSchooler

Postby ClosetStateSchooler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:22 pm

I can tell you that job opportunities in Columbus for OSU law grads are pretty good. Also, Columbus is obviously the state's capital so there are a lot of state government jobs available as well. Ohio has traditionally been republican on the state level so you may want to take that into consideration. Also, if you want to work for a labor union, you should consider where some of them are headquartered.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:26 pm

If you want to practice in Ohio and will be paying in-state tuition, I'd take that option. OSU is a respectable school. I wouldn't pay non-resident tuition at sticker though.

I personally wouldn't go to any of the schools listed unless they were tuition free, save for GW, OSU, and W&M. And I'd only go to those three if it was <$100,000.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:28 pm

With Temple on the table I would remove Villanova immediately. Brooklyn, SH, American, can all be taken off as well. Mayland and Temple are decent options. I like W&M and GW PT unless OSU is giving you a deal.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 pm

SrLaw wrote:With Temple on the table I would remove Villanova immediately. Brooklyn, SH, American, can all be taken off as well. Mayland and Temple are decent options. I like W&M and GW PT unless OSU is giving you a deal.

SrLaw, I received your PM and tried to PM me back, but it said you disabled your ability to receive PMs. PM me back once you've allowed me to respond, and I'd be happy to answer what I can.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Retake

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:30 pm

SrLaw wrote:
acirilli1722 wrote:I'm not quite sure about the big law firms in the city, but I live in a town about 15 miles outside the city and a lot of mid-sized and even some big firms from Philadelphia have branches in our town. I went around to all the firms and in all honesty every single partner I met, with the exception of one, was either Nova or Temple. You can find this out by just searching for law firms in the area and on their website they list all of their attorneys, whether they have 10 or 50 of them, and it tells you where they went to school, that's how I found out. I am sure you can do this in any city or market unless maybe if it is a huge firm that has too many attorneys to post personal biographies on each one. Keep in mind most of these partners were older and experienced so I'm not sure how students do at graduation but the fact that the number of Nova and Temple grads in comparison to other schools was so high is somewhat of a sign that they have a pretty good reputation in the region.

I have to ask, do you pay OOS tuition to go to WVU from PA?

Yea but when I started WVU was only $200 more out-of-state then PSU in-state(Not sure the difference now) and COL was much cheaper. Plus I got some scholarship money so it was a decent amount cheaper

Return to “Choosing a Law School”