GW, UIUC, BU, Emory, Minn., or ND???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Ignoring geography, which would you choose?

George Washington
32%
Illinois
11%
Boston University
25%
Emory
9%
Minnesota
13%
Notre Dame
10%

Total votes: 102

Omerta

Re: GW, UIUC, BU, Emory, Minn., or ND???

Postby Omerta » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Geography makes or breaks all of these schools. Full disclosure: I go to Emory and I love it here.

1. GW has issues with the shrinkage in the D.C. biglaw market, but it's almost unparalleled for gov't and PI access. Definitely the most "reach" out of the schools listed.
2. BU: I'll put BU here because I don't know anything about it. I hate the northeast and didn't apply to a single school north of Durham.
3. Emory/UIUC/ND in that order: UIUC and (especially) ND are probably last considering that the Chicago market was reamed pretty hard and you have Northwestern and UChi to directly compete against. That said, Emory got hit hard in the Atlanta market. However, I'd still put Emory ahead of the Illinois schools because there's not as much direct competition with T14s. As another poster pointed out, Emory would be last if you were going for biglaw or wanted to practice outside the southeast.

I agree a lot with what Informative said
Informative wrote:Emory - decent school, good reputation, lacks a bit of prestige in law, forced to compete in the smaller altanta legal market with Vandy/Duke grads. Nice campus, great weather (year round too!).

Surprisingly, there are way more UVA kids down here than Vandy.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”