Quick Question

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
KamronK

Quick Question

Postby KamronK » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
My question to you is, do you think it would be beneficial to take a year off after undergrad rather than going straight into law school? My thinking is that it would give me more free time to study for the LSAT and give me more of a chance to focus on school during senior year to improve my GPA before I begin applying. Also, law schools seem to prefer if you have more life experience, but perhaps one year wouldn't make that much of a difference. I don't feel like I would be burnt out from school and my dad believes that "it's never a good idea to take a break." I would agree when it is the transition from high school to college, but what about now?

Any input would be appreciated.

HowdyYall

Re: Quick Question

Postby HowdyYall » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 pm

id definitely recommend taking a year or two off. Its pretty hard to adequately study for the LSAT with school going on. ITll also allow you to prepare your apps to submit in early September, the most advantageous time

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:05 pm

Its not really a quick question :)

I took a year off and feel much more prepared. Id say it usually is better, work a little, know yourself a little better, study hard, and apply.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Taking a break and taking a year to fully prepare and weigh your options are not the same thing. Usually for work experience to be a plus it takes 2 years though. Your dad is right about taking a break though -- complacency can sneak up on you but I can see how that might be a good test to see if you really want to be a lawyer.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm

I strongly recommend taking a year off. It gives you time to study for your LSATs, and retake if necessary. You score is going to be the most important factor in your application, period. Law schools consider work experience a decent "soft," which means it counts for about 0.1% of your application (maybe more for some schools). Get a good LSAT score.

Also, I am a big believer in getting some life experience so that you can be sure that being a lawyer is what you want to do. Time off can be negative in that you may decide you like your life just fine and don't want to go back to school. If this happens, consider yourself fortunate, as you now have a career and life you are happy with and don't have an additional $150,000 in student loan debt. Also, a year paying off your undergraduate student loans will help you realistically assess just how much more debt you want to incur.

My mother said the same thing about not taking time off. She never graduated from college. My father strongly urged me to take some time off to figure out what I wanted to do careerwise. He was right. My father has a Ph.D. I could have never ever ever known enough about careers as a senior in college to have made a decision.

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Haha, I guess it's not really a quick question.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I want to go to law school. I enjoy being at school and wouldn't mind five more years. At this point I'm trying to really focus on my classes because I did put myself in a bit of a hole. My GPA is at a 3.16 now in my sophomore year, but I'm confident I'll raise that.

Something else that I am attempting to do is personal training. I am on my way to getting my certification and after I do, I will most likely do some physical therapy work as well. Exercise is a passion of mine, but not something I want to do as a career. Maybe law schools will see that different work experience, on top of a Poli Sci/Pre-Law internship, as a plus?

I appreciate the responses so far and I'm thankful that I have some time until I have to make a decision.

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm sorry for the bump, but I'm wondering if anyone else has something to add based on their experiences.

Concept

Postby Concept » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:57 pm

NasserK wrote:Hi Everyone,
My question to you is, do you think it would be beneficial to take a year off after undergrad rather than going straight into law school? My thinking is that it would give me more free time to study for the LSAT and give me more of a chance to focus on school during senior year to improve my GPA before I begin applying. Also, law schools seem to prefer if you have more life experience, but perhaps one year wouldn't make that much of a difference. I don't feel like I would be burnt out from school and my dad believes that "it's never a good idea to take a break." I would agree when it is the transition from high school to college, but what about now?

Any input would be appreciated.

A graduated a year early from undergrad, and am working as an attorney's private bitch (assistant). I'll be going to law school in July.

Let me bold the following so as to emphasize how unequivocal I want my statement to be. Hell, I'll even enlarge it:

I am dying to go back to school

Not only have I had more time and opportunities to study for the LSAT, to complete my applications, and get advice from co-workers about my ambitions to move for law school; I'm very eager to return to the academic grind. I can't wait for it to be July/August so I can move.

Edit: Yes, take a year off. It will work wonders for you.

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I know which direction I'm headed. I appreciate all of the replies. Now I need to focus on taking care of these undergrad classes starting tomorrow.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”