Scholarship Info MVNDC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dorriedoodle

Scholarship Info MVNDC

Postby dorriedoodle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:25 pm

I have a question for anyone who would be willing to help me:

I got money from Michigan (I don't know the $ symbols, but it's one of the highest Dean's), and none from any other of these lower ranking/comparable schools. Is it appropriate to e-mail, say UVA, and tell them about my scholarship? I know, for instance, Michigan clearly state is will not match other schools. Do other schools have this policy? Should I even tell them? If so, when is it appropriate? Also, any advice on etiquette in doing so?

AreJay711

Re: Scholarship Info MVNDC

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:33 pm

dorriedoodle wrote:I have a question for anyone who would be willing to help me:

I got money from Michigan (I don't know the $ symbols, but it's one of the highest Dean's), and none from any other of these lower ranking/comparable schools. Is it appropriate to e-mail, say UVA, and tell them about my scholarship? I know, for instance, Michigan clearly state is will not match other schools. Do other schools have this policy? Should I even tell them? If so, when is it appropriate? Also, any advice on etiquette in doing so?

If they don't like it then they simply wont give you more money. It isn't like they will pull an offer.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:45 pm

You definitely want the other schools to know about your Michigan scholarship, but don't start with the "will you match?" question. In an email to UVA (and every other school you're interested in), state something along the lines of "I'm wondering when your scholarship decisions will be announced. I've been awarded a Dean's scholarship at Michigan, but I'm still very interested in attending [UVA]. Thomas Jefferson is the man." Skip the last part. If UVA is interested in you, they'll know they've got to give you something.

dorriedoodle

Postby dorriedoodle » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks! Would you start with discussing the Dean scholarship or would you ask generally and wait for a response?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 pm

dorriedoodle wrote:Thanks! Would you start with discussing the Dean scholarship or would you ask generally and wait for a response?

I would mention it initially. It's up to you though.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm not sure about UVA, but Northwestern, Duke, and Cornell don't make scholarship decisions until about February at least. For those schools I would hold on emailing until scholarship awards come out (you can check on LSN to see this pretty easily). If you don't get anything/don't get as much as UMich gave you, I think that's when you should email them. Congrats on the big money from UMich!

dorriedoodle

Postby dorriedoodle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:45 am

That's a really good point. I think UVA tells you right away though, so maybe I should e-mail them?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:53 am

dorriedoodle wrote:That's a really good point. I think UVA tells you right away though, so maybe I should e-mail them?

The bulk of UVA scholarship decisions don't come out till later, I believe February.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”