Cardozo versus OSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
msh342
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Cardozo versus OSU

Postby msh342 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:54 am

Cardozo - Ranked 52
OSU - Ranked 35

I live in NY and have every intention of coming back. I just got into OSU and saw that I can establish residency after my second year and pay only around $25k a year...Cardozo will easily be double that without any money....

I know OSU is more "regional" however and it will be difficult for me to come back.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:06 pm

Difficult but not impossible. It's all about how well you do and networking. You're prob better off going to OSU even though you wanna be back in NY b/c the OH legal market is dominated by OSU and it's well respected whereas Cardozo is not exactly high man on the totem pole. You'll have a lot less debt and better job prospects out of OSU and worse case scenario is you work hard for a few years in OH then try to go back to NY.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:55 pm

If you aren't happy staying in Ohio, DO NOT go to tOSU.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:If you aren't happy staying in Ohio, DO NOT go to tOSU.


This, but FWIW, OSU performs much better in Ohio than Cardozo does in NYC.

msh342
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby msh342 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 pm

For practicing in New York......is Cardozo > OSU?

I went to NYU undergrad and have plenty of contacts in the region from that...

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Living in Columbus is terrible. Unless you are high all the time. Which is why I had to leave.

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby stintez » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 pm

JaLeCa wrote:Living in Columbus is terrible. Unless you are high all the time. Which is why I had to leave.


ummm no words.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm

stintez wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:Living in Columbus is terrible. Unless you are high all the time. Which is why I had to leave.


ummm no words.


I'm from there, I can say it

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby cinephile » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:05 pm

ran12 wrote:Difficult but not impossible. It's all about how well you do and networking. You're prob better off going to OSU even though you wanna be back in NY b/c the OH legal market is dominated by OSU and it's well respected whereas Cardozo is not exactly high man on the totem pole. You'll have a lot less debt and better job prospects out of OSU and worse case scenario is you work hard for a few years in OH then try to go back to NY.


If I were in your shoes, I would pick OSU for the above reason.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby mcubberly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 pm

JaLeCa wrote:Living in Columbus is terrible. Unless you are high all the time. Which is why I had to leave.


Eh, I'm from Columbus, liked it, and am probably going back to OSU. Personal preference. There's some pretty cool stuff there.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:37 pm

mcubberly wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:Living in Columbus is terrible. Unless you are high all the time. Which is why I had to leave.


Eh, I'm from Columbus, liked it, and am probably going back to OSU. Personal preference. There's some pretty cool stuff there.


After you leave High Street, meh. I can't lie, I like the revamp they did downtown.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby mcubberly » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
mcubberly wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:Living in Columbus is terrible. Unless you are high all the time. Which is why I had to leave.


Eh, I'm from Columbus, liked it, and am probably going back to OSU. Personal preference. There's some pretty cool stuff there.


After you leave High Street, meh. I can't lie, I like the revamp they did downtown.



I mean it's not New York, but High Street, North Market, and Short North are cool. A low CoL, seasons, decent grocery stores, and functional infrastructure (not super exciting, but I'm leaving somewhere without those) are nice too. Plus, I can actually see my family.

And to the OP, New York is cooler, but I agree with everyone that tOSU with $$ hopefully is the way to go.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:05 pm

mcubberly wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
mcubberly wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:Living in Columbus is terrible. Unless you are high all the time. Which is why I had to leave.


Eh, I'm from Columbus, liked it, and am probably going back to OSU. Personal preference. There's some pretty cool stuff there.


After you leave High Street, meh. I can't lie, I like the revamp they did downtown.



I mean it's not New York, but High Street, North Market, and Short North are cool. A low CoL, seasons, decent grocery stores, and functional infrastructure (not super exciting, but I'm leaving somewhere without those) are nice too. Plus, I can actually see my family.

And to the OP, New York is cooler, but I agree with everyone that tOSU with $$ hopefully is the way to go.


Ouch, you got me there. What school system were you in?

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby jms1987 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:24 pm

I'd take Columbus over being in Cincinnati any day, especially after UC's dismal football season

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby mpj_3050 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 pm

jms1987 wrote:I'd take Columbus over being in Cincinnati any day, especially after UC's dismal football season


+1

But when I was at OSU for UG I knew 4 people who were robbed at gunpoint and another was stabbed in the side of the head by a crackhead and required stitches.

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:55 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:
jms1987 wrote:I'd take Columbus over being in Cincinnati any day, especially after UC's dismal football season


+1

But when I was at OSU for UG I knew 4 people who were robbed at gunpoint and another was stabbed in the side of the head by a crackhead and required stitches.


Can't be too bad if it was only stitches. But all kidding aside, every city is gonna have something like that happen so no one should get scared off based on that.

msh342
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby msh342 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 pm

I WOULD go to OSU. The money is a HUGE deal. However, the burning question is whether it's as good or better for in the New York market than Cardozo. What's the highest OSU's rank has been?

ran12
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:42 pm

msh342 wrote:I WOULD go to OSU. The money is a HUGE deal. However, the burning question is whether it's as good or better for in the New York market than Cardozo. What's the highest OSU's rank has been?


Job prospects for NY market are more or less the same for both schools. Not likely to get biglaw in NY. However, if you go to OSU, you'll be in a lot less debt and could very well get a high paying job in OH plus COL would prob be lower too.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:43 pm

St. John's full ride over both.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 pm

bk1 wrote:St. John's full ride over both.


for NYC, this is probably credited. Also, Columbus is pretty cool. One of the better midwestern cities. Sure, it isn't NYC, but it's the best city in Ohio and one of the best 3-4 in the midwest.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:50 am

Take OSU for NYC.

NYC employers may not know OSU from a hole in the wall but the ones that matter won't know of Cardozo either. The ones that don't matter are not going to fall over themselves after any Cardozo grad.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:31 am

I actually have a similar question. What about a school like Notre Dame over Cardozo for NYC. I figure you need Top 10% in Cardozo for NYC Big Law anyway, and if you were Top 10% at NDLS, you can pretty much have your pick of jobs. Is this correct?

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby mcubberly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 am

JaLeCa wrote:
mcubberly wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
mcubberly wrote:Eh, I'm from Columbus, liked it, and am probably going back to OSU. Personal preference. There's some pretty cool stuff there.


After you leave High Street, meh. I can't lie, I like the revamp they did downtown.



I mean it's not New York, but High Street, North Market, and Short North are cool. A low CoL, seasons, decent grocery stores, and functional infrastructure (not super exciting, but I'm leaving somewhere without those) are nice too. Plus, I can actually see my family.

And to the OP, New York is cooler, but I agree with everyone that tOSU with $$ hopefully is the way to go.


Ouch, you got me there. What school system were you in?


:D Olentangy (Liberty to be specific). I've been in New Orleans for the past few years, and it's great but I'm ready to live somewhere else. My brother and sister are in HS still, and missing all their stuff sucks. Plus, I've gotten some decent $$ from UIUC and IU-B, so I'm hoping to negotiate. Low debt + cool city in a region I'm fine with + low CoL + good job prospects + family = heavily leaning towards OSU over higher ranked schools (with more debt).

How about you??

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:32 am

MrAnon wrote:Take OSU for NYC.

NYC employers may not know OSU from a hole in the wall but the ones that matter won't know of Cardozo either. The ones that don't matter are not going to fall over themselves after any Cardozo grad.


NYC employers don't even go to OCI at tOSU but some will at Cardozo.

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Cardozo versus OSU

Postby JaLeCa » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:38 pm

mcubberly wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:
:D Olentangy (Liberty to be specific). I've been in New Orleans for the past few years, and it's great but I'm ready to live somewhere else. My brother and sister are in HS still, and missing all their stuff sucks. Plus, I've gotten some decent $$ from UIUC and IU-B, so I'm hoping to negotiate. Low debt + cool city in a region I'm fine with + low CoL + good job prospects + family = heavily leaning towards OSU over higher ranked schools (with more debt).

How about you??


Mostly CSG. I have to go back up to watch my sister graduate from Ft. Hayes in Spring, and the missing family part does suck. Someone told me if I was considering OSU to talk to them, but it was never in my plans.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, chargers21 and 4 guests