How prestigious a school for SPLC or HRW? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gobuffs10

Bronze

How prestigious a school for SPLC or HRW?

Post by gobuffs10 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 pm

I have no BigLaw aspirations, which is good anyway since my numbers suck way too much to get me into a school good enough for BigLaw.

If I wanted to work for, say, Human Rights Watch or Southern Poverty Law Center or something similar, how good of a school do I need to attend? Before anyone points it out, I know 150k in debt for a 50k salary is insane. I have a year to think hard on it. Just curious about school ranking is all. I'm really not sure what kinds of attorneys these sorts of places hire.

LurkerNoMore

Bronze

Re: How prestigious a school for SPLC or HRW?

Post by LurkerNoMore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Top of the top. These are some of the most prestigious public interest organizations. Look at the Bios at SPLC -- Stanford, Yale, Skadden Fellow.

The "brand names" in public interest are every bit, if not more, picky as BigLaw.

Sorry.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:54 pm

these are two very very different organizations

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 am

LurkerNoMore wrote:Top of the top. These are some of the most prestigious public interest organizations. Look at the Bios at SPLC -- Stanford, Yale, Skadden Fellow.

The "brand names" in public interest are every bit, if not more, picky as BigLaw.

Sorry.
Cool, thanks for the info. That's the answer I was afraid of, but that's how it goes sometimes. No need to be sorry, I put myself in this position. Thankfully I managed to rid myself of my adolescent habit of blaming everyone and everything but myself for my life decisions.
gmail wrote:these are two very very different organizations
Yeah, they are. I figured I'd just include them both in one thread instead of making two. I initially wanted to work for HRW when I got real interested in law and my interest has waned a bit. Just thought I'd check.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”