Duke over MP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Duke over MP

Postby beachbum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Reedie wrote:I think that if you look at incoming class medians, employment stats, etc... you will see a great big logjam of Penn, Virginia, Michigan and Duke. I think Northwestern and Berkeley are distinct enough (which is not to say better or worse) in terms of their culture and admissions criteria to be really distinguishable from those four. But, so far as I can tell, those four schools seem to be competing for the same students, and offering them very similar outcomes. Michigan may be a *touch* more forgiving in terms of numbers (which is to say they may be slight more willing to consider other factors).

So, I think choosing between these schools based on rankings or statistics is generally not very sensible. Which means picking based on what you like is entirely sensible.


+1. FWIW, I chose Duke ED over all of MVP for nothing more than personal fit.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Duke over MP

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:38 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
fyr22 wrote:I want to choose Duke over Mich and Penn. I just dont feel there is academical or career difference between them. So I choose what feels best. Who thinks its a wrong thing to do? Is there a gap between them? Money is not an issue.
No dooking please. Thanks.


They're all peer schools - pick the one that's the best fit for you. Some people will fit better at Duke, some people will fit better at Mich or Penn.

Just don't buy the snake oil that quakeroats constantly tries to sell.


This.

(just fyi, quakeroats doesn't know what he's talking about)


+1

I really liked Duke. I can see why some people would prefer it, especially if you think you might want to work in the south. (I applied ED to Michigan).

User avatar
dresq
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke over MP

Postby dresq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 pm

bk1 wrote:[I]f you'd truly be happier at Duke then go Duke. The difference isn't so large that you'd be insane to take Duke over MP. If you'd be happier, you'd probably do better in school and that would easily make up any possible difference between the schools.


This is TITCR. I chose Duke over M and P (actually even had a little more money from Penn), and it was the right choice for me. I really like it at Duke, and I've got the exact job I wanted prior to law school. Go with your gut.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Duke over MP

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:04 pm

dresq wrote:
bk1 wrote:[I]f you'd truly be happier at Duke then go Duke. The difference isn't so large that you'd be insane to take Duke over MP. If you'd be happier, you'd probably do better in school and that would easily make up any possible difference between the schools.


This is TITCR. I chose Duke over M and P (actually even had a little more money from Penn), and it was the right choice for me. I really like it at Duke, and I've got the exact job I wanted prior to law school. Go with your gut.


Can OP neg any scholarship money?

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Duke over MP

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 pm

calilaw wrote:
fyr22 wrote:I want to choose Duke over Mich and Penn. Who thinks its a wrong thing to do? Is there a gap between them? Money is not an issue.
Thanks.


If that's what you want, go to Duke. I don't think the differences are so compelling that you should go against a personal preference.


This.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Duke over MP

Postby thecilent » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Bosque wrote:
thecilent wrote:Flame.


-180

Posts like this make me wish that feedback system had worked. I would love to rate this down.

Lol. He said he was happy no one had trolled him. Relax.

Wooooooosh

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke over MP

Postby Bosque » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 pm

thecilent wrote:
Bosque wrote:
thecilent wrote:Flame.


-180

Posts like this make me wish that feedback system had worked. I would love to rate this down.

Lol. He said he was happy no one had trolled him. Relax.

Wooooooosh


Did some one leave a window open? I think I feel a draft...

Yah, my bad.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Duke over MP

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:04 am

Haha It's all good.

And OP, I'd actually take duke over M and P, too. So it's def not ridiculous or anything




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests