Duke over MP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
beachbum

Re: Duke over MP

Postby beachbum » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Reedie wrote:I think that if you look at incoming class medians, employment stats, etc... you will see a great big logjam of Penn, Virginia, Michigan and Duke. I think Northwestern and Berkeley are distinct enough (which is not to say better or worse) in terms of their culture and admissions criteria to be really distinguishable from those four. But, so far as I can tell, those four schools seem to be competing for the same students, and offering them very similar outcomes. Michigan may be a *touch* more forgiving in terms of numbers (which is to say they may be slight more willing to consider other factors).

So, I think choosing between these schools based on rankings or statistics is generally not very sensible. Which means picking based on what you like is entirely sensible.

+1. FWIW, I chose Duke ED over all of MVP for nothing more than personal fit.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:38 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
fyr22 wrote:I want to choose Duke over Mich and Penn. I just dont feel there is academical or career difference between them. So I choose what feels best. Who thinks its a wrong thing to do? Is there a gap between them? Money is not an issue.
No dooking please. Thanks.

They're all peer schools - pick the one that's the best fit for you. Some people will fit better at Duke, some people will fit better at Mich or Penn.

Just don't buy the snake oil that quakeroats constantly tries to sell.

This.

(just fyi, quakeroats doesn't know what he's talking about)

+1

I really liked Duke. I can see why some people would prefer it, especially if you think you might want to work in the south. (I applied ED to Michigan).

dresq

Postby dresq » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:59 pm

bk1 wrote:[I]f you'd truly be happier at Duke then go Duke. The difference isn't so large that you'd be insane to take Duke over MP. If you'd be happier, you'd probably do better in school and that would easily make up any possible difference between the schools.

This is TITCR. I chose Duke over M and P (actually even had a little more money from Penn), and it was the right choice for me. I really like it at Duke, and I've got the exact job I wanted prior to law school. Go with your gut.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:04 pm

dresq wrote:
bk1 wrote:[I]f you'd truly be happier at Duke then go Duke. The difference isn't so large that you'd be insane to take Duke over MP. If you'd be happier, you'd probably do better in school and that would easily make up any possible difference between the schools.

This is TITCR. I chose Duke over M and P (actually even had a little more money from Penn), and it was the right choice for me. I really like it at Duke, and I've got the exact job I wanted prior to law school. Go with your gut.

Can OP neg any scholarship money?

BeachandRun23

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 pm

calilaw wrote:
fyr22 wrote:I want to choose Duke over Mich and Penn. Who thinks its a wrong thing to do? Is there a gap between them? Money is not an issue.
Thanks.

If that's what you want, go to Duke. I don't think the differences are so compelling that you should go against a personal preference.

This.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Bosque wrote:
thecilent wrote:Flame.

Posts like this make me wish that feedback system had worked. I would love to rate this down.

Lol. He said he was happy no one had trolled him. Relax.

Wooooooosh

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 pm

thecilent wrote:
Bosque wrote:
thecilent wrote:Flame.

Posts like this make me wish that feedback system had worked. I would love to rate this down.

Lol. He said he was happy no one had trolled him. Relax.

Wooooooosh

Did some one leave a window open? I think I feel a draft...

Yah, my bad.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:04 am

Haha It's all good.

And OP, I'd actually take duke over M and P, too. So it's def not ridiculous or anything

Return to “Choosing a Law School”