Penn State (sticker) v. Widener (full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JDHopeful

Penn State (sticker) v. Widener (full ride)

Postby JDHopeful » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 pm

This is a hypothetical at this point, but what's the verdict on this one?

ran12

Re: Penn State (sticker) v. Widener (full ride)

Postby ran12 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm

JDHopeful wrote:This is a hypothetical at this point, but what's the verdict on this one?

Since they're both regional I guess most would say Widener but I think Penn St is the smarter move. Sure you'll be in a lot of debt but at least you have a good shot at getting a job. Penn St (not just law) has a huge alumni network and they're really loyal. That could get you in the door for interviews and such whereas Widener's prospects are not so good.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:31 pm

If you get a full ride then definitely go to Widener.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Only go to Penn State if you get a significant scholly and are interested in settling down in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York corridor. If you want to work in Philly, you're much better off going to Temple... even at (in-state) sticker (provided you have no debt and are comfortable with the risks involved).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Verdict: Your honor, we find the defendant guilty of FLAME!

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Widener has terrible job prospects, but no debt is hard to turn down. I think it's a toss-up.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Widener has terrible job prospects, but no debt is hard to turn down. I think it's a toss-up.

This is true. However, look at Widener's attrition rate.....it's upwards of 30%. I would like to know why almost one third of the class leaves? This is something you should consider, esp if your $$ has stipulations. Perhaps their curve is tough and it forces a lot of people out of the program.

Section141

Postby Section141 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:Widener has terrible job prospects, but no debt is hard to turn down. I think it's a toss-up.

This is true. However, look at Widener's attrition rate.....it's upwards of 30%. I would like to know why almost one third of the class leaves? This is something you should consider, esp if your $$ has stipulations. Perhaps their curve is tough and it forces a lot of people out of the program.

I would guess a lot of the attrition is due to transfers to better schools. I applied this cycle and received a full tuition scholly from Widener, contingent on a 3.0 GPA.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Section141 wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:

I would guess a lot of the attrition is due to transfers to better schools. I applied this cycle and received a full tuition scholly from Widener, contingent on a 3.0 GPA.

Widener --> Temple/Villanova/Rutgers-Camden is relatively common.

tarp

Postby tarp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Widener has a very tough curve and a lot of people fail out.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm

tarp wrote:Widener has a very tough curve and a lot of people fail out.

This is what I have heard as well, which is why I brought up the 30% attrition. Why is it that TTT/TTTT schools seem to have the roughest curves?

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:44 pm

Why would you waste your time going to Widener?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:46 pm

kk19131 wrote:Why would you waste your time going to Widener?

The OP has a full ride.

EDIT: nm, this is a hypothetical. Your response is credited

Concept

Postby Concept » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:46 pm

I would do Penn State anyway.

Tuition is approximately $33,000.00 (maybe 33,500? Too lazy to look) ... and the cost of living in State College/Carlisle isn't crazy. How big is the loan you're looking to take out if you had to go to Penn State? Would you pay for all of it with loans only?

I can't be sold on Widener. Even at full tuition it's more of a gamble than Penn State. Penn State at least has a niche in Central Pennsylvania, and the prospects of sneaking into Pittsburgh/Philly aren't abysmal; it can be done if you end up towards the top of your class.

And plus, it's Penn State - go to UP, you'll have a better time watching JoePa at Beaver Stadium.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:38 pm

I believe in Penn St's ability to get their grads in position to get jobs but just know that if you're OOS at Penn St, it'll be close to 180k when you include yearly tuition increases. If you got into Penn St and plan to pay sticker, you should consider Pitt and Temple b/c they're at least 20k cheaper and place better.

Concept

Postby Concept » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 am

ran12 wrote:I believe in Penn St's ability to get their grads in position to get jobs but just know that if you're OOS at Penn St, it'll be close to 180k when you include yearly tuition increases. If you got into Penn St and plan to pay sticker, you should consider Pitt and Temple b/c they're at least 20k cheaper and place better.

I'm pretty sure there's no difference between in state and out of state tuition for Dickinson; it's administered as a private law school at a public university.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 am

Depends on the stipulation. Widener actually does a little better than most T4's since it is the only school in Delaware and has little competition(unless you plan to try and get a job up North in Philly). However, if there is a good chance you will lose the scholly after your first year I would have a tough time saying it would be a good choice paying sticker for the last two.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:01 am

Concept wrote:I would do Penn State anyway.

Tuition is approximately $33,000.00 (maybe 33,500? Too lazy to look) ... and the cost of living in State College/Carlisle isn't crazy. How big is the loan you're looking to take out if you had to go to Penn State? Would you pay for all of it with loans only?

I can't be sold on Widener. Even at full tuition it's more of a gamble than Penn State. Penn State at least has a niche in Central Pennsylvania, and the prospects of sneaking into Pittsburgh/Philly aren't abysmal; it can be done if you end up towards the top of your class.

And plus, it's Penn State - go to UP, you'll have a better time watching JoePa at Beaver Stadium.

Both are huge gambles, but paying sticker for Penn State is just plain foolish.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:30 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Only go to Penn State if you get a significant scholly and are interested in settling down in the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York corridor. If you want to work in Philly, you're much better off going to Temple... even at (in-state) sticker (provided you have no debt and are comfortable with the risks involved).

Definitely Temple over the other two, especially in-state. Temple and Nova pretty much run the philly area, PSU not so much.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”