.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gatorlaw2011
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

.

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:15 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:19 pm

gatorlizzy28 wrote:So, I've been reading a lot on this forum recently, but I've never posted before. I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I just finished up undergrad at UF, 3.75, 167...I've been accepted to Alabama$$$, UGA$$, UF & GW (no scholly offers yet) and I'm still waiting to hear from W&M and Emory. My problem is that I have no idea what I want to do after law school. I was planning on waiting until I learned a little something at law school before deciding what would be best for me. I'm concerned with this now because people seem to really consider that when choosing a law school. I don't even know if I want to practice in FL (where I've been my whole life) or get out and live somewhere more exciting. I want to go somewhere that will give me opportunities outside of the southeast without going into a crazy amount of debt...help!!

The only schools with regional portability are T14 schools. You need to determine where you want to practice, then go to the best school near that location.

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby stintez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:20 pm

take a year off and work it will help you both figure out if you even want to go to LS and give you real world experiences . At min it will aid in getting your mind right.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:21 pm

George Washington is a very strong school. Go there and tour it.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Figure out what you want to do or at least where you want to live before committing to 3 years of your life and possibly 6 figures worth of debt.

I say, take a year off, work, retake the LSAT just because you can, and reapply next cycle once you actually know where you want to be.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Sandro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Take a year off. Unless you end up in jail there is NO way it would be better to go straight from UG. Its a no lose situation.

gatorlaw2011
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:38 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorlaw2011
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

.

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:39 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:45 pm

gatorlizzy28 wrote:I'm pretty against taking time off, I know that law school is for me, I'm just not set on a specific type of law. I do have the opportunity to graduate from Alabama and maybe UF with zero debt. Is it seriously impossible to work outside of the southeast if that's where I get my degree?


The point of taking time off would be to raise your LSAT (possibly get you into a better school like Duke/UVa/etc or nab yourself more money from the schools you do get into) and figure out

Other than NYC or DC, generally yeah you are going to be stuck. Schools, for the most part, are very regional. Any school you go to can help you get a job where that school is (i.e. George for UGA, DC for GW, Alabama for Alabama, etc), where you have ties (i.e. Florida), and NYC (if you have really good grades because NYC doesn't care about ties to that area, possibly DC as well but you would need to have insane grads to slang that).

For instance, if you went to GW and tried to get a job in Alabama, the firm would look at you as a flight risk. They would see no reason why you would want to stay there (you went to school in DC and are from Florida, why are you trying to work in Alabama?) and think that you are just using them as a backup.

As for your best financial decision atm, probably UGA or 'Bama depending on where you prefer to work. GW at sticker is a pretty bad idea, heck even a $100k scholarship to GW is still probably a bad idea considering their estimated total CoA is $210k.

nickwar
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby nickwar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:49 pm

No question UGA or Alabama, depending on which is cheaper. I prefer UGA, as I believe Georgia has a lot more jobs to offer than Alabama post-grad.

I go to UGA and pay ~$7,000 a year with a ridiculously low rent and cost of living. You simply can't beat that when it comes to best law school value vs. the risk of unemployment/debt.

I didn't think twice in turning down Emory (also Boston University) to come to Georgia and still feel I made the best decision. You have room to change your mind at UGA. If you make it a year and a half through Emory, you're ~$75,000 in the hole and stuck.

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:53 pm

gatorlizzy28 wrote:So, I've been reading a lot on this forum recently, but I've never posted before. I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice. I just finished up undergrad at UF, 3.75, 167...I've been accepted to Alabama$$$, UGA$$, UF & GW (no scholly offers yet) and I'm still waiting to hear from W&M and Emory. My problem is that I have no idea what I want to do after law school. I was planning on waiting until I learned a little something at law school before deciding what would be best for me. I'm concerned with this now because people seem to really consider that when choosing a law school. I don't even know if I want to practice in FL (where I've been my whole life) or get out and live somewhere more exciting. I want to go somewhere that will give me opportunities outside of the southeast without going into a crazy amount of debt...help!!


JESUS. STOP! IF you are not sure you want to be a lawyer, then you need to slow waaaay down. You do not want to spend a huge amount of money on a degree that is painful to get and which (from the schools you have listed) will NOT get you a better salary than if you sought out other job opportunities.

LSAT scores are good for what? Like 5 years or something? Why don't you go have an adventure: join the peace corps, join the Marine Corps, find a job somewhere. Think about what you want out of your profession.

Being a lawyer generally sucks. Depression, divorce, alchoholism.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm

GW at sticker is insane.

gatorlaw2011
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorlaw2011
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:10 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm

gatorlizzy28 wrote:
Voyager wrote:JESUS. STOP! IF you are not sure you want to be a lawyer, then you need to slow waaaay down. You do not want to spend a huge amount of money on a degree that is painful to get and which (from the schools you have listed) will NOT get you a better salary than if you sought out other job opportunities.

LSAT scores are good for what? Like 5 years or something? Why don't you go have an adventure: join the peace corps, join the Marine Corps, find a job somewhere. Think about what you want out of your profession.

Being a lawyer generally sucks. Depression, divorce, alchoholism.


Well, that was pretty depressing lol...I AM sure that I want to be a lawyer, I'm just not completely set on the kind of law since I haven't even started law school yet. It just seems that most people have decided that before they pick a law school and I just haven't.


NONE of these kids on this board or in school really have the least clue on what they want to do. OK, sure, there is a tiny group that knows they want to proscute or what have you... most people have no clue.

They also have no clue what being a lawyer is like or if they will like it. Because the work is unlike anything they have ever done before, and because the work is generally shitty, many will end up unhappy.

Why do you want to be a lawyer? Why are you so sure? It sure as hell can't be because you want to make money. Not any more. Not in this economy. Not from those schools.

So why? Have you held positions where you enjoyed researching ridiculous minutiae for a boss that has no real interest in helping you develop/grow and while working 60-70 hours a week? Where a typo will damage your promotion prospects?
Last edited by Voyager on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jwrash
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby jwrash » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:GW at sticker is insane.

gatorlaw2011
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby gatorlaw2011 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw2011 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:40 pm

gatorlizzy28 wrote:
Voyager wrote:
gatorlizzy28 wrote:
Voyager wrote:JESUS. STOP! IF you are not sure you want to be a lawyer, then you need to slow waaaay down. You do not want to spend a huge amount of money on a degree that is painful to get and which (from the schools you have listed) will NOT get you a better salary than if you sought out other job opportunities.

LSAT scores are good for what? Like 5 years or something? Why don't you go have an adventure: join the peace corps, join the Marine Corps, find a job somewhere. Think about what you want out of your profession.

Being a lawyer generally sucks. Depression, divorce, alchoholism.


Well, that was pretty depressing lol...I AM sure that I want to be a lawyer, I'm just not completely set on the kind of law since I haven't even started law school yet. It just seems that most people have decided that before they pick a law school and I just haven't.


NONE of these kids on this board or in school really have the least clue on what they want to do. OK, sure, there is a tiny group that knows they want to proscute or what have you... most people have no clue.

They also have no clue what being a lawyer is like or if they will like it. Because the work is unlike anything they have ever done before, and because the work is generally shitty, many will end up unhappy.

Why do you want to be a lawyer? Why are you so sure? It sure as hell can't be because you want to make money. Not any more. Not in this economy. Not from those schools.

So why? Have you held positions where you enjoyed researching ridiculous minutiae for a boss that has no real interest in helping you develop/grow and while working 60-70 hours a week? Where a typo will damage your promotion prospects?


I honestly don't have any experience like that, and I do not want to be a lawyer for the money. I really want to go to law school for the challenge, and because a lot of the subject matter interests me. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards "those" schools because graduating with zero debt will give me the opportunity to explore the areas of law that I would most enjoy. I'm also choosing to stay positive about my decision to go to law school because I'm set on it and honestly can't think of anything else I would rather do.


Oh! Well! If you can go to school for free and if you are not too worried about landing the $160k job and you think you will enjoy studying the law... then heck, my friend, god speed to you! Seriously. Graduating with no debt makes all of the diffrence.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby kwais » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Voyager wrote:
gatorlizzy28 wrote:
Voyager wrote:JESUS. STOP! IF you are not sure you want to be a lawyer, then you need to slow waaaay down. You do not want to spend a huge amount of money on a degree that is painful to get and which (from the schools you have listed) will NOT get you a better salary than if you sought out other job opportunities.

LSAT scores are good for what? Like 5 years or something? Why don't you go have an adventure: join the peace corps, join the Marine Corps, find a job somewhere. Think about what you want out of your profession.

Being a lawyer generally sucks. Depression, divorce, alchoholism.


Well, that was pretty depressing lol...I AM sure that I want to be a lawyer, I'm just not completely set on the kind of law since I haven't even started law school yet. It just seems that most people have decided that before they pick a law school and I just haven't.


NONE of these kids on this board or in school really have the least clue on what they want to do. OK, sure, there is a tiny group that knows they want to proscute or what have you... most people have no clue.

They also have no clue what being a lawyer is like or if they will like it. Because the work is unlike anything they have ever done before, and because the work is generally shitty, many will end up unhappy.

Why do you want to be a lawyer? Why are you so sure? It sure as hell can't be because you want to make money. Not any more. Not in this economy. Not from those schools.

So why? Have you held positions where you enjoyed researching ridiculous minutiae for a boss that has no real interest in helping you develop/grow and while working 60-70 hours a week? Where a typo will damage your promotion prospects?


chill the fuck out

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:45 pm

kwais wrote:
Voyager wrote:
gatorlizzy28 wrote:
Voyager wrote:JESUS. STOP! IF you are not sure you want to be a lawyer, then you need to slow waaaay down. You do not want to spend a huge amount of money on a degree that is painful to get and which (from the schools you have listed) will NOT get you a better salary than if you sought out other job opportunities.

LSAT scores are good for what? Like 5 years or something? Why don't you go have an adventure: join the peace corps, join the Marine Corps, find a job somewhere. Think about what you want out of your profession.

Being a lawyer generally sucks. Depression, divorce, alchoholism.


Well, that was pretty depressing lol...I AM sure that I want to be a lawyer, I'm just not completely set on the kind of law since I haven't even started law school yet. It just seems that most people have decided that before they pick a law school and I just haven't.


NONE of these kids on this board or in school really have the least clue on what they want to do. OK, sure, there is a tiny group that knows they want to proscute or what have you... most people have no clue.

They also have no clue what being a lawyer is like or if they will like it. Because the work is unlike anything they have ever done before, and because the work is generally shitty, many will end up unhappy.

Why do you want to be a lawyer? Why are you so sure? It sure as hell can't be because you want to make money. Not any more. Not in this economy. Not from those schools.

So why? Have you held positions where you enjoyed researching ridiculous minutiae for a boss that has no real interest in helping you develop/grow and while working 60-70 hours a week? Where a typo will damage your promotion prospects?


chill the fuck out

heh. guess i am rather passionate about the topic. sorry you don't like that.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby kwais » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 pm

chill the fuck out[/quote]
heh. guess i am rather passionate about the topic. sorry you don't like that.[/quote]

passionate? hmmmm. I'd say you are bitter. When you say that there is no way for someone to go to UF or UGA law and make any more money than they would without a JD, you lose people. Yes, there is risk, but if someone responds to the warnings by saying that they are still determined to give it a try, then its time to shut up. some people are willing to take the chance. I am one of them. I know that I may regret it one day. I also know that I would regret not trying. Let's keep a little persepctive around here and stop pretending that there are all sorts of awesome jobs out there that we are giving up.

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby LurkerNoMore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Going to law school when you don't know where you want to live is like agreeing to an arranged marriage (an arranged marriage would probably be easier to "undo" though).

Slow down.

It is a heck of a lot easier to go back to law school after a few years then it is to get out of the legal profession. This is doubly true if you go straight out of UG. The people who do it successfully are pretty much the same type of people who get great jobs with a plain old liberal arts degree. You've either got the sort of talent and personality that allows you to sell what you've got, or you don't.

If you don't know what the practice of law is like, how do you know that it's something you are interested in? And if you haven't lived anywhere else in the country, how do you know that you want to stay there? Or that you want to live somewhere else?

Coming out of UG you have lots of options. Going to law school will shut more doors that it opens, so you better be sure that the doors you open are the ones you want to go through.

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:11 pm

kwais wrote: When you say that there is no way for someone to go to UF or UGA law and make any more money than they would without a JD, you lose people. Yes, there is risk, but if someone responds to the warnings by saying that they are still determined to give it a try, then its time to shut up. some people are willing to take the chance. I am one of them. I know that I may regret it one day. I also know that I would regret not trying. Let's keep a little persepctive around here and stop pretending that there are all sorts of awesome jobs out there that we are giving up.
.


passionate? hmmmm. I'd say you are bitter. When you say that there is no way for someone to go to UF or UGA law and make any more money than they would without a JD, you lose people. Yes, there is risk, but if someone responds to the warnings by saying that they are still determined to give it a try, then its time to shut up. some people are willing to take the chance. I am one of them. I know that I may regret it one day. I also know that I would regret not trying. Let's keep a little persepctive around here and stop pretending that there are all sorts of awesome jobs out there that we are giving up.[/quote]

um, I lose people when I point out a rather obvious fact that many posters on this site have pointed out for years and has now (finally) been written about in the New York times? Well you'll have to excuse me if I fail to see how I am the one with the problem here.

And this logic that the solution to no job prospects is to pile on a ton of debt AND have the same job prospects seems to defy simple math to me.

As for "bitter"... why is it that whenever anyone states on this board that certain schools have worse job prospects than certain other schools they are called "bitter"?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:47 pm

I'd say take the money at UGA or 'Bama. You'll open up a new market to yourself, have the ability to work your ties to Florida, and have the backing of a solid name to help you find work throughout the South. If you get fantastic grades or have some other hook, you can at least try to get something in the larger major markets.

PM me if youd like to talk, op.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Completely lost, where to go??

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 pm

You did not apply to enough places. Send out last minute apps.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Screech Owl and 2 guests