Law library quality - A significant factor?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby androstan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

This question is probably best answered by graduates/attorneys, but anyone with any relevant experience or knowledge should chime in. Is the extent of a particular law school's law library collection particularly relevant? Is it a significant advantage to be at a LS with more titles, more volumes, etc.?

One of the reasons I ask is because I'm leaning hard toward GW and I noticed that GW has that most titles in its law library. More than Yale, Harvard, UTx, GULC, etc. I was wondering if that might actually be a benefit for me.

GW doesn't, by any stretch, have the most volumes. Which suggests it tends to have fewer copies of a particular title than other places. That could be bad, it could be hard to get what you need.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:52 pm

androstan wrote:This question is probably best answered by graduates/attorneys, but anyone with any relevant experience or knowledge should chime in. Is the extent of a particular law school's law library collection particularly relevant? Is it a significant advantage to be at a LS with more titles, more volumes, etc.?

One of the reasons I ask is because I'm leaning hard toward GW and I noticed that GW has that most titles in its law library. More than Yale, Harvard, UTx, GULC, etc. I was wondering if that might actually be a benefit for me.

GW doesn't, by any stretch, have the most volumes. Which suggests it tends to have fewer copies of a particular title than other places. That could be bad, it could be hard to get what you need.

You won't care when you are there. It doesn't matter one tiny bit who has the most titles.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Even if it was relevant, how would it ever be close to the relevancy of placement power?

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2708
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby androstan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

bk1 wrote:Even if it was relevant, how would it ever be close to the relevancy of placement power?


That's a new question. A question which I answer with "it's not as significant as placement power". However, I may get accepted to BU also, and I think the placement power is similar. It would also just be nice to know if there were some boon to going to GW since I can't get into GULC anyway.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm

androstan wrote:
bk1 wrote:Even if it was relevant, how would it ever be close to the relevancy of placement power?


That's a new question. A question which I answer with "it's not as significant as placement power". However, I may get accepted to BU also, and I think the placement power is similar. It would also just be nice to know if there were some boon to going to GW since I can't get into GULC anyway.


Again, even if it is relevant, it is behind a huge host of factors that I couldn't see it realistically coming in to play because the other things are never equal:

Placement Power, Cost, Location, Atmosphere, etc.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Law libraries? Worthless. Have no idea why it is included in ranking calculations. Everyone uses Westlaw if needed.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 pm

The amount of seats in the library can play a big factor.

:D

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Law library quality - A significant factor?

Postby LurkerNoMore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Not relevant in the slightest. Books are highly over-rated in legal research. Cases and statutes are primary sources, and most of the academic banter goes on in journals. Books are good for background research, theory pieces, and figuring out how a certain area of the law works (treatises -- but a lot of the most recent versions of these are being published online through Westlaw and Lexis).

Also, pretty much every law library uses some sort of interlibrary loan system, which means you can get books that your library doesn't have in a couple of days.

Cooley's seat count makes more sense than a title or volume count. But even then, only if you actually like studying in libraries.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests