Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Mr. T
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

Postby Mr. T » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:11 pm

TheOcho wrote:
General Tso wrote:dude gold was $500 an ounce in 2006, today it is over $1400 an ounce. it is something that is desirable only in times of financial turmoil. It has no capacity to generate revenue or dividends the way a rental house or a stock can. its value has been driven up by a bunch of quacks like Glenn Beck and as soon as the world economy smooths out, gold is going to be worth $500/oz. once again.

if you want a safe investment and have a down payment, buy a house. that both appreciates in value AND generates rents. and prices and rates are pretty damn low in most parts of the country.



There is absolutely no reason to assume a home will always increase in value. People were spewing that same type of rhetoric just before the housing market crashed. Buying is not always the intelligent option.

Also, most people who are financially savvy don't buy gold or silver to earn a massive return. Gold and silver are used to maintain a store of value when the dollar is losing value. It isn't about generating a return on net (although that might happen) it's about maintaining your current level of wealth. And I believe you can buy stock in companies that mine gold that will pay dividends.



Exactly what I was trying to point out earlier. I happened to buy gold before it really took off (thinking I could protect my $$$ by doing so) but then turned it into the ability to pay for law school.

I agree fully with your point about the housing market.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm

TheOcho wrote:
General Tso wrote:dude gold was $500 an ounce in 2006, today it is over $1400 an ounce. it is something that is desirable only in times of financial turmoil. It has no capacity to generate revenue or dividends the way a rental house or a stock can. its value has been driven up by a bunch of quacks like Glenn Beck and as soon as the world economy smooths out, gold is going to be worth $500/oz. once again.

if you want a safe investment and have a down payment, buy a house. that both appreciates in value AND generates rents. and prices and rates are pretty damn low in most parts of the country.



There is absolutely no reason to assume a home will always increase in value.

Other than that the general trend over the entire history of human is that real estate gains value. But the issue is making sure it is in the right areas because some go up and others down but the general trend is up and always will be until labor and material prices start falling or the population starts to shrink.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

Postby rman1201 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 pm

This is by far the stupidest thread on this site to date. Did all these people get hacked by the gold advertisers?

User avatar
Mr. T
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

Postby Mr. T » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 am

RMAn, the gold/silver issue is secondary. The main thrust here was to point out that there is a looming education debt bubble and what we can do to avoid being part of it.

User avatar
Mr. T
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

Postby Mr. T » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 am

TheOcho wrote:
General Tso wrote:dude gold was $500 an ounce in 2006, today it is over $1400 an ounce. it is something that is desirable only in times of financial turmoil. It has no capacity to generate revenue or dividends the way a rental house or a stock can. its value has been driven up by a bunch of quacks like Glenn Beck and as soon as the world economy smooths out, gold is going to be worth $500/oz. once again.

if you want a safe investment and have a down payment, buy a house. that both appreciates in value AND generates rents. and prices and rates are pretty damn low in most parts of the country.



There is absolutely no reason to assume a home will always increase in value. People were spewing that same type of rhetoric just before the housing market crashed. Buying is not always the intelligent option.

Also, most people who are financially savvy don't buy gold or silver to earn a massive return. Gold and silver are used to maintain a store of value when the dollar is losing value. It isn't about generating a return on net (although that might happen) it's about maintaining your current level of wealth. And I believe you can buy stock in companies that mine gold that will pay dividends.


http://www.zerohedge.com/article/india- ... n-oil-gold

Not a currency until it is -or- its worth is seen as more than our little pieces of paper.

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

Postby Fresh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am

law school costs discussion turned gold vs. greenback debate.

/thread :( please




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], studyingeveryday and 5 guests