Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mr. T

Bronze

Re: Another Sobering Article Mentioning Law School Debt

Post by Mr. T » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:11 pm

TheOcho wrote:
General Tso wrote:dude gold was $500 an ounce in 2006, today it is over $1400 an ounce. it is something that is desirable only in times of financial turmoil. It has no capacity to generate revenue or dividends the way a rental house or a stock can. its value has been driven up by a bunch of quacks like Glenn Beck and as soon as the world economy smooths out, gold is going to be worth $500/oz. once again.

if you want a safe investment and have a down payment, buy a house. that both appreciates in value AND generates rents. and prices and rates are pretty damn low in most parts of the country.

There is absolutely no reason to assume a home will always increase in value. People were spewing that same type of rhetoric just before the housing market crashed. Buying is not always the intelligent option.

Also, most people who are financially savvy don't buy gold or silver to earn a massive return. Gold and silver are used to maintain a store of value when the dollar is losing value. It isn't about generating a return on net (although that might happen) it's about maintaining your current level of wealth. And I believe you can buy stock in companies that mine gold that will pay dividends.

Exactly what I was trying to point out earlier. I happened to buy gold before it really took off (thinking I could protect my $$$ by doing so) but then turned it into the ability to pay for law school.

I agree fully with your point about the housing market.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 pm

TheOcho wrote:
General Tso wrote:dude gold was $500 an ounce in 2006, today it is over $1400 an ounce. it is something that is desirable only in times of financial turmoil. It has no capacity to generate revenue or dividends the way a rental house or a stock can. its value has been driven up by a bunch of quacks like Glenn Beck and as soon as the world economy smooths out, gold is going to be worth $500/oz. once again.

if you want a safe investment and have a down payment, buy a house. that both appreciates in value AND generates rents. and prices and rates are pretty damn low in most parts of the country.

There is absolutely no reason to assume a home will always increase in value.
Other than that the general trend over the entire history of human is that real estate gains value. But the issue is making sure it is in the right areas because some go up and others down but the general trend is up and always will be until labor and material prices start falling or the population starts to shrink.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 pm

This is by far the stupidest thread on this site to date. Did all these people get hacked by the gold advertisers?

Mr. T

Bronze

Post by Mr. T » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 am

RMAn, the gold/silver issue is secondary. The main thrust here was to point out that there is a looming education debt bubble and what we can do to avoid being part of it.

Mr. T

Bronze

Post by Mr. T » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 am

TheOcho wrote:

There is absolutely no reason to assume a home will always increase in value. People were spewing that same type of rhetoric just before the housing market crashed. Buying is not always the intelligent option.

Also, most people who are financially savvy don't buy gold or silver to earn a massive return. Gold and silver are used to maintain a store of value when the dollar is losing value. It isn't about generating a return on net (although that might happen) it's about maintaining your current level of wealth. And I believe you can buy stock in companies that mine gold that will pay dividends.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/india- ... n-oil-gold

Not a currency until it is -or- its worth is seen as more than our little pieces of paper.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am

law school costs discussion turned gold vs. greenback debate.

/thread :( please

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”