West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:14 am

glacierfrost wrote:I get hungry kind of just reading this thread right now. What's Shake Shack?

Furniture swap sounds like a good idea. I totally just realized that when we move in the apartments probably will NOT be furnished.

and r6, you're not going to Penn anymore?


I don't know yet, I am just making all the preparations to make the move to the Bay Area should we choose it. If I don't plan it out now it would be too difficult later.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby lisjjen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:32 am

r6_philly wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:I get hungry kind of just reading this thread right now. What's Shake Shack?

Furniture swap sounds like a good idea. I totally just realized that when we move in the apartments probably will NOT be furnished.

and r6, you're not going to Penn anymore?


I don't know yet, I am just making all the preparations to make the move to the Bay Area should we choose it. If I don't plan it out now it would be too difficult later.


I think that's a solid choice. The schools are equally rated and if I had a choice, I'd take California any day of the week and twice on Tuesday. My theory is that Mother Theresa, Ghandi and MLK came to God and asked for a place with perfect weather, beautiful scenery, good food and nice people. God told them, "if it was anybody else, I'd say no, but since it's you three, I'll call it California."

The only bad thing is the economy, but if you're in at Boalt, I think you don't really have to worry about that.

That being said, Penn is still a hell of a school. Good luck on your decision :D

User avatar
annie2010
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby annie2010 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 am

glacierfrost wrote:I get hungry kind of just reading this thread right now. What's Shake Shack?


shake shack is the reason that west coasters can take the sting of not having in & out when they move to NYC. delicious burgers on a delicious bun with delicious secret sauce! and krinkle cut fries....
and concretes, which are frozen custard. like a cross between a milkshake and ice cream with amazing flavors that change all the time.

just made myself so hungry.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 am

lisjjen wrote:
I think that's a solid choice. The schools are equally rated and if I had a choice, I'd take California any day of the week and twice on Tuesday. My theory is that Mother Theresa, Ghandi and MLK came to God and asked for a place with perfect weather, beautiful scenery, good food and nice people. God told them, "if it was anybody else, I'd say no, but since it's you three, I'll call it California."

The only bad thing is the economy, but if you're in at Boalt, I think you don't really have to worry about that.

That being said, Penn is still a hell of a school. Good luck on your decision :D


Ha I know, I used to be a Californian, came back east not unwillingly. I am hoping the choice will be made for me either by way of financial aid or oh some other acceptance across the bay. :D

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby champsound » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:00 pm

From California, living in DC now. In-n-out and shake shack are like 1a and 1b in my rankings, but five guys just sucks and costs too much.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sreichel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Coastal SoCal here, and I have to say the biggest thing that scares me about going east is the weather. It's sunny and ~75 degrees outside, I don't even really own a good coat, just some sweatshirts and a snowboarding jacket. Anyone with experience either in the Penn area or Virginia area originally from California? How gnarly are we talking?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 pm

sreichel wrote:Coastal SoCal here, and I have to say the biggest thing that scares me about going east is the weather. It's sunny and ~75 degrees outside, I don't even really own a good coat, just some sweatshirts and a snowboarding jacket. Anyone with experience either in the Penn area or Virginia area originally from California? How gnarly are we talking?


It's supposed to get 3-6 inches more this Friday after the 2 inches of frozen rain yesterday, and highs are supposed to be in the 20's Sat and Sunday. They are also talking about a significant storm developing that could be a "blockbuster" in the next 7-10 days (AccuWeather).

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby champsound » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:42 pm

frozen rain + no umbrella or hat + from california = worse thing ever

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sreichel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:56 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That... sounds awful.

By frozen rain you mean hail? Or just like....really really friggin cold rain?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

sreichel wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
That... sounds awful.

By frozen rain you mean hail? Or just like....really really friggin cold rain?


It's like slushy rain that as soon as it lands on something, it turns into a sheet of ice. So everything on the ground end up looking like covered in a layer of molten glass (which then re-solidified). When it is cold enough, it actually makes driving very much impossible because your wipers won't be able to clear it off the windshield.

And when you go shovel your drive way/sidewalk it's like someone spilled an icee/slush/slurpy machine, my back is still sore from yesterday. Took me 90 minutes to clear 2 cars and shovel.

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby Reedie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:01 pm

sreichel wrote:Coastal SoCal here, and I have to say the biggest thing that scares me about going east is the weather. It's sunny and ~75 degrees outside, I don't even really own a good coat, just some sweatshirts and a snowboarding jacket. Anyone with experience either in the Penn area or Virginia area originally from California? How gnarly are we talking?


I've lived in Vermont and North Carolina, and the westside of LA for 7 years. You probably will hate winter. Virginia won't be too bad, Phily will be worse. Here are some tips:

1) Don't keep your apartment super warm. This helps you adjust to the cold and makes you more comfortable when you are dressed appropriately.

2) Jackets are overrated. Especially super nice ones. Get something warm that can take a beating and will keep you dry.

3) Layers are underrated. Wool rocks when it's really cold.

4) Gloves and warm hats rock. Again, pay attention to the material.

Overall though, it's not as big a deal as you might think. None of those places are as cold as Vermont.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Reedie wrote:Overall though, it's not as big a deal as you might think. None of those places are as cold as Vermont.


The problem for warm weathered person like me - 31 degrees is about same as -10 because it sucks just as much.

Right now, it's 65+ where I was born, 75+ where my parents live, and 85+ in Jamaica. So we hate this weather.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sreichel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, so basically what i'm looking at as far as shopping would be warm gloves and a hat, and some sort of boot or something that can handle the snow (sneakers and flip flops sound like they're out), and then a warm jacket. I don't really care about style or anything I just don't want to be freezing cold all the time. As far as having a car up there, i've heard about heating blankets and things like that for your engine bay so your fluids don't freeze, any advice?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:17 pm

sreichel wrote:Thanks for the tips guys, so basically what i'm looking at as far as shopping would be warm gloves and a hat, and some sort of boot or something that can handle the snow (sneakers and flip flops sound like they're out), and then a warm jacket. I don't really care about style or anything I just don't want to be freezing cold all the time. As far as having a car up there, i've heard about heating blankets and things like that for your engine bay so your fluids don't freeze, any advice?


Cars don't freeze, this ain't Canada hehe

Don't go for the cutesy gloves, leather ones with lining works best. Get a coat with lining. You want outerwear that breaks the wind, and inner layers that are warm. So the outerwear you wear everyday should be somewhat water proof because as soon as you track snow in the door they turn into water and wet your clothes, so knit/fabric stuff get wet too easily.

You will need the flip flops because it gets steamy hot in the summer time.

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby champsound » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 pm

lol at the freezing cars.

Personally I think the summer is worse than the winter, I can't stand the humidity.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Also make sure your shoes are waterproof. No matter how warm the rest of your clothing is, you'll be absolutely miserable with wet socks!!! Cold is definitely survivable. You just have to dress smart. Plus it makes the spring and summer that much more exciting because you've been without them for so long!

Personally I think the summer is worse than the winter, I can't stand the humidity.


Get an SA position in Cali.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sreichel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, and I appreciate the complete lack of mocking lol, that seems to happen on TLS a bit.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:35 pm

sreichel wrote:Thanks for the advice, and I appreciate the complete lack of mocking lol, that seems to happen on TLS a bit.


It's not fun mocking people on the Internet. I enjoy doing it in person ;)

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sreichel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sreichel wrote:Thanks for the advice, and I appreciate the complete lack of mocking lol, that seems to happen on TLS a bit.


It's not fun mocking people on the Internet. I enjoy doing it in person ;)

Alright, if you see me at a school soaking wet and freezing because I didn't heed this advice, mock away

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby esq » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Starting to regret my decision to go to VA: 1) I'm a yearlong flip flop wearer. 2) I'm not sure if I can live without my Double Double (Animal Style).

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:03 pm

sreichel wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
sreichel wrote:Thanks for the advice, and I appreciate the complete lack of mocking lol, that seems to happen on TLS a bit.


It's not fun mocking people on the Internet. I enjoy doing it in person ;)

Alright, if you see me at a school soaking wet and freezing because I didn't heed this advice, mock away


Absolutely! I will think of something witty and stingy.

User avatar
annie2010
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby annie2010 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:04 pm

rainboots with big fuzzy socks inside = makes walking through snow and slush kind of fun / warm and dry feet

nightynite
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby nightynite » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Reedie wrote:
sreichel wrote:Coastal SoCal here, and I have to say the biggest thing that scares me about going east is the weather. It's sunny and ~75 degrees outside, I don't even really own a good coat, just some sweatshirts and a snowboarding jacket. Anyone with experience either in the Penn area or Virginia area originally from California? How gnarly are we talking?


I've lived in Vermont and North Carolina, and the westside of LA for 7 years. You probably will hate winter. Virginia won't be too bad, Phily will be worse. Here are some tips:

1) Don't keep your apartment super warm. This helps you adjust to the cold and makes you more comfortable when you are dressed appropriately.

2) Jackets are overrated. Especially super nice ones. Get something warm that can take a beating and will keep you dry.

3) Layers are underrated. Wool rocks when it's really cold.

4) Gloves and warm hats rock. Again, pay attention to the material.

Overall though, it's not as big a deal as you might think. None of those places are as cold as Vermont.


Ooh. Any thoughts between North Carolina and LA/OC? I hear a lot of complaints about the weather and the lack of anything to do for fun.

User avatar
sreichel
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sreichel » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

nightynite wrote:
Reedie wrote:
sreichel wrote:Coastal SoCal here, and I have to say the biggest thing that scares me about going east is the weather. It's sunny and ~75 degrees outside, I don't even really own a good coat, just some sweatshirts and a snowboarding jacket. Anyone with experience either in the Penn area or Virginia area originally from California? How gnarly are we talking?


I've lived in Vermont and North Carolina, and the westside of LA for 7 years. You probably will hate winter. Virginia won't be too bad, Phily will be worse. Here are some tips:

1) Don't keep your apartment super warm. This helps you adjust to the cold and makes you more comfortable when you are dressed appropriately.

2) Jackets are overrated. Especially super nice ones. Get something warm that can take a beating and will keep you dry.

3) Layers are underrated. Wool rocks when it's really cold.

4) Gloves and warm hats rock. Again, pay attention to the material.

Overall though, it's not as big a deal as you might think. None of those places are as cold as Vermont.


Ooh. Any thoughts between North Carolina and LA/OC? I hear a lot of complaints about the weather and the lack of anything to do for fun.


Well, compared to LA and I think with very few exceptions your'e always going somewhere with a smaller entertainment factor

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:43 pm

annie2010 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:I get hungry kind of just reading this thread right now. What's Shake Shack?


shake shack is the reason that west coasters can take the sting of not having in & out when they move to NYC. delicious burgers on a delicious bun with delicious secret sauce! and krinkle cut fries....
and concretes, which are frozen custard. like a cross between a milkshake and ice cream with amazing flavors that change all the time.

just made myself so hungry.


Call me a negative nancy but I don't find In-N-Out to be that amazing. Sure it blows other fast food out of the water but that's not really a fair contest.

Also, In-N-Out should just call it thousand island instead of having it stupidly labeled as "spread."




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest