West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cornellbeez

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:56 pm

bk1 wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.

Correction: Mexican food sucks everywhere. One of my least fave ethnic foods. I'm a native Californian, who has also lived on the East Coast, and Mexican food in CA is just about as sucky as the Mexican food in New York. Pretty sure it's because Mexican food is just innately terrible.

That's a good one -- visual imagery of what Mexican food does to a person.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm

cornellbeez wrote:Correction: Mexican food sucks everywhere... Pretty sure it's because Mexican food is just innately terrible.

+1

And unhealthy.

nightynite

Postby nightynite » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

pennyloafer17 wrote:
nightynite wrote:Orange County native heading to Duke, and from what I've heard, I should bring my car. But I'm going to have some serious CA withdrawals and I'd ideally like to come back for summers, so the cross-country car transporting is a really, really huge problem :(

My best friend from HS moved from LA to Duke. She always tells me her car was a necessity. She just drove it across country...

Every year??? Ouch that's going to hurt.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:09 pm

mrmangs wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:Correction: Mexican food sucks everywhere... Pretty sure it's because Mexican food is just innately terrible.

+1

And unhealthy.

TITCR

I don't get it. MEXICAN IS MADE WITH THE SAME STUFF. They just sort of try and wrap it up in different ways.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:15 pm

NZA wrote:
I don't get it. MEXICAN IS MADE WITH THE SAME STUFF. They just sort of try and wrap it up in different ways.

Um, no it isn't.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 pm

Reedie wrote:
NZA wrote:

Um, no it isn't.

Oh?

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:09 pm

NZA wrote:
Reedie wrote:
NZA wrote:

Um, no it isn't.

Oh?

Yes. Mexico is a big place with different cultures and regions. It's not all the same. Amazing, yet true.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Reedie wrote:
NZA wrote:
Reedie wrote:
NZA wrote:

Um, no it isn't.

Oh?

Yes. Mexico is a big place with different cultures and regions. It's not all the same. Amazing, yet true.

Your name and attitude suggest you live in Portland, OR.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 pm

NZA wrote:Your name and attitude suggest you live in Portland, OR.

I've lived all over the place including Portland and currently live in North Carolina. As far as my attitude goes it annoyed me. If I posted in a comment board discussing Italian food "I DON'T GET ITALIAN FOOD IT'S ALL JUST THE SAME, HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU COOK A TOMATO AND PUT IT ON PASTA" I wouldn't expect very supportive response.

NZA

Postby NZA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:32 pm

Reedie wrote:
NZA wrote:Your name and attitude suggest you live in Portland, OR.

I've lived all over the place including Portland and currently live in North Carolina. As far as my attitude goes it annoyed me. If I posted in a comment board discussing Italian food "I DON'T GET ITALIAN FOOD IT'S ALL JUST THE SAME, HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU COOK A TOMATO AND PUT IT ON PASTA" I wouldn't expect very supportive response.

Hmm. Why not?

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 pm

NZA wrote:Hmm. Why not?

Is it really worth this much effort? You think your comment was great, insightful or funny, fine. I'm not going to change your mind. If you get a chance try lots of different kinds of food. That's my advice. I've found few types of food which I don't like at least something from. If you'd rather not, then go with god. Good luck with everything and enjoy the west coast while you are there. The Pacific Northwest is really nice.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 am

I'm excited to try Five Guys Burgers to compare it to In-n-Out. I've heard some people claim it's better than In-n-Out which sounded blasphemous to me.

Also, disclaimer: I love Mexican food. But this video is just too priceless with this current debate (start 2 minutes in):

--LinkRemoved--

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 am

Already tried 5 guys burger. They have one in Norcal now near my house. While 5 guys is pretty good and gives you huge portions, In N Out is still the superior one mainly in terms of taste and price. 5 guys burger looks too much like In N Out, as if they copied it. But I like their unlimited peanuts policy.

Also cannot believe the blasphemy about Mexican food made thus far........you guys seriously gotta come to California and try some of the taco trucks here particularly in Oakland and in most parts of Socal.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:52 am

Five Guys is good, but the Neopolitan Shake and Double Double Animal Style win the debate.

And what's all this crazy talk about Mexican food being gross and over simplistic? You seem to have all the cultural awareness of Michael Bay.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 am

At least they've got Chipotle. 8)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:09 am

pennyloafer17 wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.

True statement. It is painful

We have real Mexican food around because there are lot of real Mexicans around. Not near Penn, but they are around.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:10 am

glacierfrost wrote:At least they've got Chipotle. 8)

There is a Bobby's Burger next door to Chipotle, next door to City Tap House, across the street from Fresh Grocer. Good block.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 am

Can I join (well I did anyway) because I may be moving west from Philly to Bay Area?

I need to drive my truck, tow my trailer with a car and 2 motorcycles in it out west if I go while shipping everything else in a container. Plan to make it into a summer road trip since we will not be going to summer vaca this year.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:34 pm

glacierfrost wrote:Already tried 5 guys burger. They have one in Norcal now near my house. While 5 guys is pretty good and gives you huge portions, In N Out is still the superior one mainly in terms of taste and price. 5 guys burger looks too much like In N Out, as if they copied it. But I like their unlimited peanuts policy.

Also cannot believe the blasphemy about Mexican food made thus far........you guys seriously gotta come to California and try some of the taco trucks here particularly in Oakland and in most parts of Socal.

To be fair, I was just trolling the Oregonian. :lol: I love Mexican, it's awesome.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:47 pm

NZA wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Already tried 5 guys burger. They have one in Norcal now near my house. While 5 guys is pretty good and gives you huge portions, In N Out is still the superior one mainly in terms of taste and price. 5 guys burger looks too much like In N Out, as if they copied it. But I like their unlimited peanuts policy.

To be fair, I was just trolling the Oregonian. :lol: I love Mexican, it's awesome.

I was not trolling. I don't like it that much (although there a few things, like chicken tortilla soup, that I do enjoy), and pretty much all of it is unhealthy. But I understand I'm in the minority. For the record, I've had Mexican in LA, SF, and Oakland.

Also, I don't like In and Out. That stuff is gross. Then again, I don't really eat/like fast food at all.

Spykuh

Postby Spykuh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:58 pm

i am going to commit blasphemy right now and say that shake shack >>> in-n-out. haven't tried 5 guys yet.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:Can I join (well I did anyway) because I may be moving west from Philly to Bay Area?

I need to drive my truck, tow my trailer with a car and 2 motorcycles in it out west if I go while shipping everything else in a container. Plan to make it into a summer road trip since we will not be going to summer vaca this year.

Yes - please see furniture swap idea on previous pages. There's no need for trailers and shipping if you just leave your stuff there for one of us to takeover. We will also let you leave your motorcycles. :D

I'm excited to try Five Guys Burgers to compare it to In-n-Out. I've heard some people claim it's better than In-n-Out which sounded blasphemous to me.

I'm originally from the midwest (and am therefore unbiased by geographical ties), and I've tried both of them. My vote goes to Five Guys (sorry don't kill me!) I never have been a huge fan of the meat on In-n-Out, and there's an option to add bacon at Five Guys. Bacon trumps all.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:01 pm

law_monkey wrote:Yes - please see furniture swap idea on previous pages. There's no need for trailers and shipping if you just leave your stuff there for one of us to takeover. We will also let you leave your motorcycles. :D

Well then I have plenty of stuff that you future Quakers can possibly swap with. Good idea, I will take my inventory to Facebook and here if it comes to that. I will be leaving a few bikes behind, only taking 2, 3 tops. I will be taking all the cars though - I own the trailer so I will be taking it. :mrgreen:

I'm originally from the midwest (and am therefore unbiased by geographical ties), and I've tried both of them. My vote goes to Five Guys (sorry don't kill me!) I never have been a huge fan of the meat on In-n-Out, and there's an option to add bacon at Five Guys. Bacon trumps all.

At my age, I am wary of burgers. I gain weight on a diet of broccoli.

NZA

Postby NZA » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:45 pm

mrmangs wrote:
NZA wrote:

I was not trolling. I don't like it that much (although there a few things, like chicken tortilla soup, that I do enjoy), and pretty much all of it is unhealthy. But I understand I'm in the minority. For the record, I've had Mexican in LA, SF, and Oakland.

Also, I don't like In and Out. That stuff is gross. Then again, I don't really eat/like fast food at all.

I'll agree with you on the In and Out thing. I just don't see how it's that awesome.

Dick's is better.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:11 am

I get hungry kind of just reading this thread right now. What's Shake Shack?

Furniture swap sounds like a good idea. I totally just realized that when we move in the apartments probably will NOT be furnished.

and r6, you're not going to Penn anymore?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”