West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sarahh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
NZA wrote:We should just do an exchange program for East Coast/West Coast law students who are moving opposite directions. :) We can just each others' stuffs.


Ingenious +1


Yes, we need to create an East Coasters in at West Coast schools to lure them in.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sarahh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm

pennyloafer17 wrote:
sarahh wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I figured I would start a thread for those of us planning on heading east so we can compare notes/thoughts on schools. It's a long expensive trip to the other side, so I'm sure at least some of us will be making compromises on our visits. Plus you might find a fellow classmate who's already nearby! :D


Awesome thread :)


I am in Bay Area and will likely be heading to Boston. Wondering if other people are planning to hire a moving company or just sell their old stuff and buy new stuff. I am thinking a moving company will be very expensive. Also wondering if I should drive cross country with my car or ship it and fly. Or maybe just get rid of the car.


Last time I was in Boston I really liked the public transportation...do you think you'll really need the car?


I don't think will "need" the car if my husband finds a job close to public transportation, but my car is paid off. I figured if we ship it, we could pack some stuff in there.

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby sarahh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
sarahh wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I'm probably hiring a moving company. I know it will be expensive, but I just think that it'll be the easiest way to make sure all my stuff gets out there. I'm still in UG though, so I don't have much furniture. I'll probably just need one of the smaller U-hauls.

?? You mean you are going to drive the U-haul yourself or hire someone? We thought about doing the U-haul - I think the cost was only something like $2,200 - but I wonder how long the trip would take.

Cross country is like 48 hours total time spent diving.

It is about 40 hours in a regular car, but what about a U-haul? How fast do those things go?

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby dabomb75 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 pm

LA native, went to school in the Bay Area and will now be making the trek across the country to Upenn. I'm thinking about taking my car and making the cross-country roadtrip but I don't really want to do it alone (or with my parents), and I doubt any of my friends would want to make the trip....

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:35 pm

dabomb75 wrote:LA native, went to school in the Bay Area and will now be making the trek across the country to Upenn. I'm thinking about taking my car and making the cross-country roadtrip but I don't really want to do it alone (or with my parents), and I doubt any of my friends would want to make the trip....


Same same probably! I'll travel with you!

Kind of kidding, kind of not.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm

law_monkey wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
NZA wrote:We should just do an exchange program for East Coast/West Coast law students who are moving opposite directions. :) We can just each others' stuffs.


Ingenious +1


Another +1!!! Except that I just have boring cheap college student furniture, so some fancy business person would probably trade with me and be extremely disappointed.


I think pretty much everyone's in that situation. ;)

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby NZA » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:17 pm

sarahh wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
NZA wrote:We should just do an exchange program for East Coast/West Coast law students who are moving opposite directions. :) We can just each others' stuffs.


Ingenious +1


Yes, we need to create an East Coasters in at West Coast schools to lure them in.


Do it.

Or have someone else do it. :P

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby esq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:45 pm

sarahh wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I figured I would start a thread for those of us planning on heading east so we can compare notes/thoughts on schools. It's a long expensive trip to the other side, so I'm sure at least some of us will be making compromises on our visits. Plus you might find a fellow classmate who's already nearby! :D


Awesome thread :)


I am in Bay Area and will likely be heading to Boston. Wondering if other people are planning to hire a moving company or just sell their old stuff and buy new stuff. I am thinking a moving company will be very expensive. Also wondering if I should drive cross country with my car or ship it and fly. Or maybe just get rid of the car.


We (Wife+Child+Me) are moving from So Cal to C'Ville VA, and have already cleared $1000 selling some of our more unnecessary stuff. Rather than paying $4000+ to Pods, or $2200-2700 for a Uhaul, we're gonna pack our bed and our dresser in the back of the full size truck I bought ($3000), tow our packed car (only $300 for that rig from Uhaul) and flip the truck if we need to when we get there (ends up that with only 68,000 on it, the truck's worth $9000 Kelly Blue). It's been a pretty fun scheme so far, and hey, I can keep the truck :D

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:21 pm

esq wrote:
sarahh wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I figured I would start a thread for those of us planning on heading east so we can compare notes/thoughts on schools. It's a long expensive trip to the other side, so I'm sure at least some of us will be making compromises on our visits. Plus you might find a fellow classmate who's already nearby! :D


Awesome thread :)


I am in Bay Area and will likely be heading to Boston. Wondering if other people are planning to hire a moving company or just sell their old stuff and buy new stuff. I am thinking a moving company will be very expensive. Also wondering if I should drive cross country with my car or ship it and fly. Or maybe just get rid of the car.


We (Wife+Child+Me) are moving from So Cal to C'Ville VA, and have already cleared $1000 selling some of our more unnecessary stuff. Rather than paying $4000+ to Pods, or $2200-2700 for a Uhaul, we're gonna pack our bed and our dresser in the back of the full size truck I bought ($3000), tow our packed car (only $300 for that rig from Uhaul) and flip the truck if we need to when we get there (ends up that with only 68,000 on it, the truck's worth $9000 Kelly Blue). It's been a pretty fun scheme so far, and hey, I can keep the truck :D


Lucky! I definitely don't have that option seeing as how I don't even have a vehicle with me here. (I know that's crazy in LA, but I'm still in UG and have enough friends with cars). This is a headache that I just wish I could ignore.

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby esq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:59 pm

law_monkey wrote:Lucky! I definitely don't have that option seeing as how I don't even have a vehicle with me here. (I know that's crazy in LA, but I'm still in UG and have enough friends with cars). This is a headache that I just wish I could ignore.


I hear ya. I was like :D when I got into UVA, and then I was like :( when I called Pods and was told that I could get a $500 dollar discount to $4000 if I reserved my pod right now. Crazy how expensive it is to move across the country. If you're going to move yourself, the cost makes it worth it to buy everything again on Craiglist when you get out there.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:18 pm

esq wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Lucky! I definitely don't have that option seeing as how I don't even have a vehicle with me here. (I know that's crazy in LA, but I'm still in UG and have enough friends with cars). This is a headache that I just wish I could ignore.


I hear ya. I was like :D when I got into UVA, and then I was like :( when I called Pods and was told that I could get a $500 dollar discount to $4000 if I reserved my pod right now. Crazy how expensive it is to move across the country. If you're going to move yourself, the cost makes it worth it to buy everything again on Craiglist when you get out there.


OMG gross! I'm trying to decide between Penn, Duke, and NYU right now. Forget scholarships; I will just go to the one that offers to move my stuff for me!

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby esq » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 pm

law_monkey wrote:
esq wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Lucky! I definitely don't have that option seeing as how I don't even have a vehicle with me here. (I know that's crazy in LA, but I'm still in UG and have enough friends with cars). This is a headache that I just wish I could ignore.


I hear ya. I was like :D when I got into UVA, and then I was like :( when I called Pods and was told that I could get a $500 dollar discount to $4000 if I reserved my pod right now. Crazy how expensive it is to move across the country. If you're going to move yourself, the cost makes it worth it to buy everything again on Craiglist when you get out there.


OMG gross! I'm trying to decide between Penn, Duke, and NYU right now. Forget scholarships; I will just go to the one that offers to move my stuff for me!


Haha, it might be cheaper for you if you don't plan on moving a large bed - the $4000 pod was the only one that would have fit it. Still though, I think it's in the multi-thousands for the smaller pods, so in your case you're probably better off selling your stuff and moving into a furnished apartment - especially if you end up in NY (I imagine small spaces when I think of the Big Apple.)

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:49 pm

esq wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
esq wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Lucky! I definitely don't have that option seeing as how I don't even have a vehicle with me here. (I know that's crazy in LA, but I'm still in UG and have enough friends with cars). This is a headache that I just wish I could ignore.


I hear ya. I was like :D when I got into UVA, and then I was like :( when I called Pods and was told that I could get a $500 dollar discount to $4000 if I reserved my pod right now. Crazy how expensive it is to move across the country. If you're going to move yourself, the cost makes it worth it to buy everything again on Craiglist when you get out there.


OMG gross! I'm trying to decide between Penn, Duke, and NYU right now. Forget scholarships; I will just go to the one that offers to move my stuff for me!


Haha, it might be cheaper for you if you don't plan on moving a large bed - the $4000 pod was the only one that would have fit it. Still though, I think it's in the multi-thousands for the smaller pods, so in your case you're probably better off selling your stuff and moving into a furnished apartment - especially if you end up in NY (I imagine small spaces when I think of the Big Apple.)


Yeah. Honestly I wouldn't mind leaving any of my furniture. If I had a decently sized vehicle I would probably be able to get it all out there. But I don't, plus that's a loooooooonnnnnggggg drive by myself.

glacierfrost
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby glacierfrost » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:56 am

law_monkey wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?


Which Philly school?


Penn. While I'm sure the cheese steaks there are awesome, I'm not so sure if they can compare with the mindblowing mouth orgasm that is the taco truck tacos from Cali.....soidjiasjdfijas;dfij

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:07 pm

glacierfrost wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?


Which Philly school?


Penn. While I'm sure the cheese steaks there are awesome, I'm not so sure if they can compare with the mindblowing mouth orgasm that is the taco truck tacos from Cali.....soidjiasjdfijas;dfij


SAME (probably)! Are you one of the people from the FB group? If so I've been talking to the "real" you haha. And agreed about the food too. But my 3 fave schools are going to be philly cheese steaks vs. pizza and cheesecake vs. southern soul food, all of which happen to be favorites of mine. But it will be sad to leave the abundance of food options that Cali offers.

Edit: Just saw in your profile that you meant Penn State. Never mind about the facebook stuff then. But I still agree with you about the food!

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby lakerfanimal » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 pm

law_monkey wrote:[And agreed about the food too. But my 3 fave schools are going to be philly cheese steaks vs. pizza and cheesecake vs. southern soul food, all of which happen to be favorites of mine. But it will be sad to leave the abundance of food options that Cali offers.

Edit: Just saw in your profile that you meant Penn State. Never mind about the facebook stuff then. But I still agree with you about the food!


+1

User avatar
annie2010
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby annie2010 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm from California and will be starting Columbia in the fall, but I already moved to NY with my SO who is in grad school. Now I know a bit about moving across the country so feel free to ask me any questions.

I definitely think its cheaper to sell old furniture and buy new furniture than to hire a moving company. And definitely don't bring a car if you are going to any NYC school! And hire someone to assemble your Ikea furniture. I have recommendations.
Thats all I can think of for now... :D

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby bergg007 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm

glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:40 pm

bergg007 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.


Just to defend the Midwest (which is where I'm originally from) I know of several great Mexican restaurants that do not in any way match your description. But I will agree that's probably an anomaly.

I'm from California and will be starting Columbia in the fall, but I already moved to NY with my SO who is in grad school. Now I know a bit about moving across the country so feel free to ask me any questions.

I definitely think its cheaper to sell old furniture and buy new furniture than to hire a moving company. And definitely don't bring a car if you are going to any NYC school! And hire someone to assemble your Ikea furniture. I have recommendations.
Thats all I can think of for now... :D


Will probably be asking for your advice later...thanks for the offer!

User avatar
Reedie
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby Reedie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:06 pm

bergg007 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.


I've found a good Mexican place here in Durham. Not as good as the Oaxacan place I used to live by in Los Angeles (oh Juquila, I miss you), but very serviceable. You've got to know what to order though.

Moving across country efficiently means selling your furniture, and limiting yourself to what you can carry in a car. Go with used furniture (and I mean CHEAP used) for everything except a bed so that you can torch it and move on again in 3 years. Everything else purchase at target or some equivalent. That will cost you way less.

I've lived in Vermont, Norcal, Oregon, Socal, and Durham in that order. Most anything is doable. If you are from California (coastal Southern California especially) you will definitely miss the weather. Driving across the US is fun, and if you can find a way to, I'd recommend spending a couple extra days in the pretty parts (IE rockies and points west) and then driving the rest as quickly as you can. It's worth seeing, especially if you haven't before.

User avatar
pennyloafer17
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby pennyloafer17 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 pm

bergg007 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.


True statement. It is painful

nightynite
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby nightynite » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:35 pm

Orange County native heading to Duke, and from what I've heard, I should bring my car. But I'm going to have some serious CA withdrawals and I'd ideally like to come back for summers, so the cross-country car transporting is a really, really huge problem :(

User avatar
pennyloafer17
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:44 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby pennyloafer17 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:37 pm

nightynite wrote:Orange County native heading to Duke, and from what I've heard, I should bring my car. But I'm going to have some serious CA withdrawals and I'd ideally like to come back for summers, so the cross-country car transporting is a really, really huge problem :(


My best friend from HS moved from LA to Duke. She always tells me her car was a necessity. She just drove it across country...

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:46 pm

bergg007 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.


Correction: Mexican food sucks everywhere. One of my least fave ethnic foods. I'm a native Californian, who has also lived on the East Coast, and Mexican food in CA is just about as sucky as the Mexican food in New York. Pretty sure it's because Mexican food is just innately terrible.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:53 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
bergg007 wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Mexican food sucks anywhere east of New Mexico and north of Nevada. I lived in the mid west for a few years and went to several "mexican" restaurants where the beans were served out of a can, the rice was white and the beef tasted like bar-b-que sauce. I have cousins from all over the eastern seaboard and they report that that is the same everywhere. Some paces have decen Cuban and puerto rican, but no Bomb ass taco trucks. man I miss Taco trucks.


Correction: Mexican food sucks everywhere. One of my least fave ethnic foods. I'm a native Californian, who has also lived on the East Coast, and Mexican food in CA is just about as sucky as the Mexican food in New York. Pretty sure it's because Mexican food is just innately terrible.


Image




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], sp5000 and 3 guests