West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:01 pm

ilovesf wrote:I looooooooove Patxi's!!! I've never really liked deep dish until the moment I tried my first pizza there.

I was always a fan of Uno's as a kid (though I think the only ones left in CA now are in SoCal), but everyone says they are shit. But I loved that pizza and it forever cemented my belief that deep dish >>>> any other type of pizza.

On a side note, a few of my friends have raved about Zachary's deep dish in Berkeley, but I tried it once and it was pretty awful.

champsound

Postby champsound » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I looooooooove Patxi's!!! I've never really liked deep dish until the moment I tried my first pizza there.

I was always a fan of Uno's as a kid (though I think the only ones left in CA now are in SoCal), but everyone says they are shit. But I loved that pizza and it forever cemented my belief that deep dish >>>> any other type of pizza.

On a side note, a few of my friends have raved about Zachary's deep dish in Berkeley, but I tried it once and it was pretty awful.

Yeah, I thought Zachary's was pretty bad too, and the wait to get a seat is ridiculous most of the time. But some people really love it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:14 pm

bk1 wrote:

I've been to Zachary's once and didn't really like it that much either, definitely overrated. There used to be an Uno's on Lombard but I just looked on their website and it's not listed so I guess it closed, but I also used to go there a lot. With all this talk, I think I'm going to go to Patxi's tonight!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:21 pm

It's weird with Zachary's though, because so many of my Berkeley friends highly recommended it.

ilovesf wrote:I've been to Zachary's once and didn't really like it that much either, definitely overrated. There used to be an Uno's on Lombard but I just looked on their website and it's not listed so I guess it closed, but I also used to go there a lot. With all this talk, I think I'm going to go to Patxi's tonight!

The Uno's have been closed for a while. Some of them changed into SFO Pizzerias but I think even those have closed (this happened to the one in Fremont/Newark and the one in Jack London Square, iirc). The SFO's had similar pizza with similar stuff (i.e. a Spinach and Broccoli pizza instead of Uno's Spinnocoli), but the quality wasn't the same as Uno's.

I think I'm gonna go to Patxi's to celebrate when I finally choose which school I'm gonna go to. :P

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 pm

All y'all who are hating on Zachary's?

Philistines.

The lot of you.

p.s. Anybody else thinking about taking the train to law school? I know that it's overpriced and takes a long time, but I've never seen Chicago and always kind of fantasized about a cross-country train trip.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:23 pm

notanumber wrote:All y'all who are hating on Zachary's?

Philistines.

The lot of you.

p.s. Anybody else thinking about taking the train to law school? I know that it's overpriced and takes a long time, but I've never seen Chicago and always kind of fantasized about a cross-country train trip.

OMG yes! I have very seriously been considering that!!!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:25 pm

Philistines.

The lot of you.

I might have to give it another try but it was bad when I Went (and looking at other tables, my pizza looked similar to what others got).

The crust was thin and meh for deep dish on top of being burnt and way too crispy (for deep dish).

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Also, the burger at Zuni is without a doubt the best burger in the Bay Area. Berkeley/Oakland is rather lacking on the burger front - but as a previous poster mentioned, just get a Bakesale Betty sandwich instead.

Near Stanford, St. Michel's Alley cooks up a mean hamburger.

For chains, I'm partial to the admittedly overpriced burgermeister.

In-N-Out tastes like death in cardboard form.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:29 pm

Philistines.

The lot of you.

I can agree to disagree over Zachary's... but have you been to Patxi's? I've also never been to Chicago and I've been dying to go! I really love the train, but I took a two day train ride one time and I got pretty bored, I'd much rather drive so I can stop whenever I want for food and to take pictures, etc.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:32 pm

notanumber wrote:Also, the burger at Zuni is without a doubt the best burger in the Bay Area. Berkeley/Oakland is rather lacking on the burger front - but as a previous poster mentioned, just get a Bakesale Betty sandwich instead.

Near Stanford, St. Michel's Alley cooks up a mean hamburger.

For chains, I'm partial to the admittedly overpriced burgermeister.

In-N-Out tastes like death in cardboard form.

Ohhh yeah, Zunis! Good call. I've never really been a huge In-N-Out fan myself. I don't really understand going to a fast food chain when there are so many other awesome places to eat in the Bay Area. If it's about the price, then I'd much rather get a burrito or a taco with my money.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:34 pm

ilovesf wrote:

Philistines.

The lot of you.

I can agree to disagree over Zachary's... but have you been to Patxi's? I've also never been to Chicago and I've been dying to go! I really love the train, but I took a two day train ride one time and I got pretty bored, I'd much rather drive so I can stop whenever I want for food and to take pictures, etc.

Gotta admit that I'm not a huge fan of Patxi's - I don't really like their crust. They do deliver to my house, which is a huge plus, and sometimes when I'm feeling lazy I'll order from them. Different strokes and all. . .

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Damnit. Let's stop talking about local food and instead let's talk about how awesome the East Coast is going to be. I already preemptively miss too many things around here (surfing in January? Wearing a t-shirt on my morning run today?).

So... um... I hear that New England has... um... a pleasant autumn?

Sorry, I got nothing. . .

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:39 pm

notanumber wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Philistines.

The lot of you.

Gotta admit that I'm not a huge fan of Patxi's - I don't really like their crust. They do deliver to my house, which is a huge plus, and sometimes when I'm feeling lazy I'll order from them. Different strokes and all. . .

I also get delivery from them when I'm feeling lazy, but it's never as good as when I actually go there.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:41 pm

notanumber wrote:Damnit. Let's stop talking about local food and instead let's talk about how awesome the East Coast is going to be. I already preemptively miss too many things around here (surfing in January? Wearing a t-shirt on my morning run today?).

Actually autumn is really nice on the east coast! And in Baltimore, (and DC but I lived in Bmore), the spring with cherry blossoms is really beautiful. I know tons of good restaurants there, but not many other people do.. so there are no fun chats to be had.

re-applicant

Postby re-applicant » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Signing into this thread! Might be leaving the Bay Area for New York.

champsound

Postby champsound » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:44 pm

notanumber wrote:Damnit. Let's stop talking about local food and instead let's talk about how awesome the East Coast is going to be. I already preemptively miss too many things around here (surfing in January? Wearing a t-shirt on my morning run today?).

I'm in DC right now, the food here either sucks or is prohibitively expensive. Some place that are good, well-priced include: Nando's Peri Peri, We the Pizza, Good Stuff Eatery, Ben's Chili Bowl, and Greek Deli (It's actually called Greek Deli). If you end up going to Georgetown/GW/American/Catholic University/UDC or one of the other million law schools here, you should check those out.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:45 pm

ilovesf wrote:I also get delivery from them when I'm feeling lazy, but it's never as good as when I actually go there.

I live just outside the delivery range for the Palo Alto Patxi's. :(

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:49 pm

re-applicant wrote:Signing into this thread! Might be leaving the Bay Area for New York.

love your avatar!

octneedy

Postby octneedy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:09 pm

This thread has some great east coast recs! I hate to admit it, but I know I'll miss Del Taco the most. >_<

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 pm

It's ironic how a lot of the foods we'll be missing are the unhealthy fast food-ish ones.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 pm

glacierfrost wrote:It's ironic how a lot of the foods we'll be missing are the unhealthy fast food-ish ones.

I'll be missing sushi the most actually. SF sushi is amazing.

octneedy

Postby octneedy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:07 pm

glacierfrost wrote:It's ironic how a lot of the foods we'll be missing are the unhealthy fast food-ish ones.

Dunno how it's ironic, maybe coincidental? I can cook a mean steak and I made my own cobb salad for lunch... I just don't have the heart or an industrial fryer to make a fish taco w/unhealthy tarter-looking sauce.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:

I'll be missing sushi the most actually. SF sushi is amazing.

Mmm...sushi. Seattle sushi is good, too. SF Chinese is the best I've had, though.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 pm

ilovesf wrote:Damnit. Let's stop talking about local food and instead let's talk about how awesome the East Coast is going to be. I already preemptively miss too many things around here (surfing in January? Wearing a t-shirt on my morning run today?).

I worked in DC for a semester and the autumn is delightful. Hard cider and Jameson whiskey around a campfire on a cold autumn night in the middle of rural Maryland is pretty damn decent. There's also more gravitas to East Coast cities if you like that. NY, Chicago, etc. just feel more professional and sharp than San Diego, Seattle, etc. The food in DC is worth a mention too.

The double fried wings at Bon Chon are super good. I like the salads at Cosi's and the sandwiches at Pot Belly's. If you're out destroying your liver on a Friday or Saturday, you might as well go all the way and eat at Ben's Chili too. Best drunk food ever.

rm61

Postby rm61 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:16 am

octneedy wrote:This thread has some great east coast recs! I hate to admit it, but I know I'll miss Del Taco the most. >_<

-1. Really? :|

Then again, I missed El Pollo Loco the most, so I can't judge.

Btw, can this thread evolve into an East Coast Winter support group? Gonna need it when most of my classmates don't emphasize with the brutality of any degree under 40.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”