West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pennyloafer17

New

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Post by pennyloafer17 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 am

notanumber wrote:Damnit. Let's stop talking about local food and instead let's talk about how awesome the East Coast is going to be. I already preemptively miss too many things around here (surfing in January? Wearing a t-shirt on my morning run today?).

So... um... I hear that New England has... um... a pleasant autumn?

Sorry, I got nothing. . .
Lemme see what I can think of...

After four years of UG in New England and recently moving back to CA, the one thing I can say is that the seasons are cute for the first year. You can look forward to that. After that the cold gets old (in my opinion)...

I liked that on the East Coast I didn't need a car to get everywhere...public transportation is much easier out there. Less time in traffic.

The time difference also means that you get to see tv shows three hours before your family on the west coast...

yeah that's all I've got

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 am

NZA wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:It's ironic how a lot of the foods we'll be missing are the unhealthy fast food-ish ones.
I'll be missing sushi the most actually. SF sushi is amazing.
Mmm...sushi. Seattle sushi is good, too. SF Chinese is the best I've had, though.
Best Chinese I've had outside of my parents' house is in Flushing NY. There are some good options of Asian food in Philly.

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:42 pm

NZA wrote:SF Chinese is the best I've had, though.
This is credited.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 pm

mrmangs wrote:
This is credited.
No :P

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
This is credited.
Haven't been to the East Coast, so it might have better Chinese. But out of Seattle, LA, SF, SD, and Portland, SF has the best Chinese food.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:56 pm

mrmangs wrote: Haven't been to the East Coast, so it might have better Chinese. But out of Seattle, LA, SF, SD, and Portland, SF has the best Chinese food.
Chinese Chinese or American Chinese?

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Oh boy... San Francisco, CA versus Flushing, NY... the ultimate debate on Chinese food. You know both are good because the waiters don't speak any English, ever. Personally, my vote goes for Flushing.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 pm

champsound wrote:Oh boy... San Francisco, CA versus Flushing, NY... the ultimate debate on Chinese food. You know both are good because the waiters don't speak any English, ever. Personally, my vote goes for Flushing.
There is more variety in Flushing. CA Chinese all seem southern and coastal. I was able to get authentic food from interior China in Flushing.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
champsound wrote:Oh boy... San Francisco, CA versus Flushing, NY... the ultimate debate on Chinese food. You know both are good because the waiters don't speak any English, ever. Personally, my vote goes for Flushing.
There is more variety in Flushing. CA Chinese all seem southern and coastal. I was able to get authentic food from interior China in Flushing.
There's some amazing Beijing and some very good Hui food in San Francisco. Just gotta know where to look. The only Chinese food that I crave but that I can't find there is Yunnan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm

notanumber wrote:
There's some amazing Beijing and some very good Hui food in San Francisco. Just gotta know where to look. The only Chinese food that I crave but that I can't find there is Yunnan.
I am from Kunming. There are places in Flushing. But some ingredients are hard to come by in this country.

If you will me into Yale I will have my parents cook you a full meal! :lol:

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 pm

pennyloafer17 wrote: The time difference also means that you get to see tv shows three hours before your family on the west coast...
Most HD cable channels show it at the same time. So in a way, us West coasters get to see things three hours earlier. Not like we will have time for television in law school anyway.

I was looking for Mexican supermarkets in Boston, and it seems like there is only one several miles away. I guess I will have to buy my queso fresco at Costco.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 pm

sarahh wrote:Most HD cable channels show it at the same time. So in a way, us West coasters get to see things three hours earlier. Not like we will have time for television in law school anyway.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. Cable is usually shown at local time (i.e. a show will be on at 11pm in every time zone), whereas satellite TV is shown at the same time everywhere (i.e. a show will be on at 11pm EST for everybody) and is usually based off of EST time, iirc.

What will be weird is football starting 1pm on Sundays... wtf? What am I gonna do when I wake up at 10am and the Sunday football isn't on for another 3 hours!?!?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:02 pm

bk187 wrote: What will be weird is football starting 1pm on Sundays... wtf? What am I gonna do when I wake up at 10am and the Sunday football isn't on for another 3 hours!?!?
We get foodball at 1PM, 4PM and at 9PM on Sundays. It's usually a day you sleep late, then wake up to a full day of football.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:58 pm

bk187 wrote:
sarahh wrote:Most HD cable channels show it at the same time. So in a way, us West coasters get to see things three hours earlier. Not like we will have time for television in law school anyway.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. Cable is usually shown at local time (i.e. a show will be on at 11pm in every time zone), whereas satellite TV is shown at the same time everywhere (i.e. a show will be on at 11pm EST for everybody) and is usually based off of EST time, iirc.

What will be weird is football starting 1pm on Sundays... wtf? What am I gonna do when I wake up at 10am and the Sunday football isn't on for another 3 hours!?!?
No, many cable HD channels, at least the ones I watch (Bravo, TLC, HGTV, Food Network), show it at the same time everywhere. So I get to watch shows airing at 10:00 on the east coast at 7:00. I was pissed when they moved Project Runway from Bravo to Lifetime because Lifetime does air shows based on the local timezone. But at least I got to watch the hysterical commercials for the Lifetime movies.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:00 pm

sarahh wrote:No, many cable HD channels, at least the ones I watch (Bravo, TLC, HGTV, Food Network), show it at the same time everywhere. So I get to watch shows airing at 10:00 on the east coast at 7:00. I was pissed when they moved Project Runway from Bravo to Lifetime because Lifetime does air shows based on the local timezone. But at least I got to watch the hysterical commercials for the Lifetime movies.
Interesting, I didn't realize cable did this on a per channel basis.

Satellite does all channels (except local ones, obv) based off of EST I believe.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bk187 wrote: What will be weird is football starting 1pm on Sundays... wtf? What am I gonna do when I wake up at 10am and the Sunday football isn't on for another 3 hours!?!?
We get foodball at 1PM, 4PM and at 9PM on Sundays. It's usually a day you sleep late, then wake up to a full day of football.
When I lived in DC, the ritual became clubbing until 3 on Saturday, sleeping in super late on Sunday and then going to a sports bar or cigar lounge to watch the game on Sunday afternoon. Really a great way to spend a weekend, assuming you don't want to actually do anything useful for two days.

Spykuh

Bronze

Post by Spykuh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:47 pm

while half the country is being hit by a snowstorm...it is sunny here. I don't want to leave!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:34 pm

Born and raised in SD and moving to Ithaca. Could it get worse than that?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Ikki wrote:Born and raised in SD and moving to Ithaca. Could it get worse than that?
if SD is not South Dakota then sure. :)

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ikki wrote:Born and raised in SD and moving to Ithaca. Could it get worse than that?
if SD is not South Dakota then sure. :)
San Diego thankfully :P. And lol at Mexican food in the U.S.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Ikki wrote:
We actually have a really nice one around here, no one speaks English, and the menu is not even in English. I just like their soups and I point at it when I go in to order.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
mrmangs wrote:
This is credited.
Haven't been to the East Coast, so it might have better Chinese. But out of Seattle, LA, SF, SD, and Portland, SF has the best Chinese food.
Have been to Philly, all over NY, and all over CA.

CA Chinese is as close as you can get to Taiwan/China. Manhattan is a close 2nd.

Never been to Flushing, but I hear it's getting pretty saturated with Asians
Last edited by jeremysen on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Ikki wrote:
We actually have a really nice one around here, no one speaks English, and the menu is not even in English. I just like their soups and I point at it when I go in to order.
Mexican food made in the U.S., even the one made by Mexicans, has blown about 90% of the time I've tried it. American cheese on enchiladas? GTFO
I'm gonna miss getting tortas in TJ 15 minutes away from home :(

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Ikki wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ikki wrote:
Mexican food made in the U.S., even the one made by Mexicans, has blown about 90% of the time I've tried it. American cheese on enchiladas? GTFO
Whatever you ate in Mexico ain't cheese :)

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm

jeremysen wrote:
Ikki wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ikki wrote:
Whatever you ate in Mexico ain't cheese :)
I feel like in DC there is a disproportionate amount of El Salvadorians where I live.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”