West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Reedie

Bronze

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Post by Reedie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:25 pm

nightynite wrote: Ooh. Any thoughts between North Carolina and LA/OC? I hear a lot of complaints about the weather and the lack of anything to do for fun.
That depends on what you want to do. Here are my thoughts:

If you want to compare Durham to Sunset or The Village, Durham is going to come up way short. However, I couldn't afford to go out drinking on Sunset when my income didn't come from student loans. I can't imagine doing much of that kind of stuff now that it does. The nice thing about Durham is that what is here is fairly diverse for any area this size (triangle is a little smaller than Sacramento) and most of it is pretty affordable. And a lot of what is around here (outdoors, museums, etc...) is free. You also should keep in mind that this area has been growing primarily due to high tech jobs in research (especially medical research), so you shouldn't worry that you are heading into some kind of ignorant backwater.

As far as weather goes, it's very easy to deal with. We've had some snow and ice this year, but the thing is that is rare enough here that everything shuts down when frozen stuff falls from the sky. We actually had a snow day, and I got to take my con law final from home because of some light snow. So you aren't going to have to learn how to drive in snow and ice. I bike to school most every day (I've only had to drive twice so far), and don't have a problem.

With that said, there aren't many places in the world with a climate as gentle as coastal Southern California and this ain't one of them. Personally, I find the summer harder to deal with than the winter. I miss my marine layer.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:26 pm

bk187 wrote:
Call me a negative nancy but I don't find In-N-Out to be that amazing. Sure it blows other fast food out of the water but that's not really a fair contest.
Why isn't it fast food. The price is cheap and the speed is fast. And in so-cal they are all over the place.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Reedie wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Call me a negative nancy but I don't find In-N-Out to be that amazing. Sure it blows other fast food out of the water but that's not really a fair contest.
Why isn't it fast food. The price is cheap and the speed is fast. And in so-cal they are all over the place.
It is fast food. I don't get your question.

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 pm

bk187 wrote: It is fast food. I don't get your question.
Well you said comparing it with other fast food isn't fair. Given that it is fast food I don't see why it isn't?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Reedie wrote:
Well you said comparing it with other fast food isn't fair. Given that it is fast food I don't see why it isn't?
Comparing it to other fast food isn't fair to judge it as food. What I meant by it is that it's good fast food, but that doesn't mean it's good food.

People obsess over their burgers/fries like they're something special and that I don't understand. I mean I would stop there over McDonald's if I was given the option, but I really don't get the "zomg best burger ever" attitude that a lot of people seem to take. It's like they've never had a decent burger in their lives.

ETA: Now I'm hungry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 pm

bk187 wrote:
Reedie wrote:
Comparing it to other fast food isn't fair to judge it as food. What I meant by it is that it's good fast food, but that doesn't mean it's good food.

People obsess over their burgers/fries like they're something special and that I don't understand. I mean I would stop there over McDonald's if I was given the option, but I really don't get the "zomg best burger ever" attitude that a lot of people seem to take. It's like they've never had a decent burger in their lives.

ETA: Now I'm hungry.
Big Macs FTW!!! Fortunately McDonald's can be found anywhere.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:29 pm

I <3 McRibs. I don't care if it is made from dust bunnies and pig feed.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:I <3 McRibs. I don't care if it is made from dust bunnies and pig feed.
Agreed! People can say what they want about what fake crap is thrown into the food, but it still tastes amazing to me! And at such a great price that I feel will better match my law school budget. :)

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Just out of curiosity what ASWs are you all planning on attending? Has anyone seen any good airfare deals?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:14 pm

law_monkey wrote:Just out of curiosity what ASWs are you all planning on attending? Has anyone seen any good airfare deals?
I have Berkeley who pays $300, UT may pay - if they do I will go. Airfare is going up up up. The $300 is barely going to cover my standby employee/family fare from PHL-SFO.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Just out of curiosity what ASWs are you all planning on attending? Has anyone seen any good airfare deals?
I have Berkeley who pays $300, UT may pay - if they do I will go. Airfare is going up up up. The $300 is barely going to cover my standby employee/family fare from PHL-SFO.
You don't count. Fares for some crazy reason vary by direction.

Just kidding! <3

nightynite

New

Post by nightynite » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:54 pm

I booked LAX to RDU on Southwest for Duke's ASW for $300 roundtrip...Jetblue just had a 2 day sale (ended yesterday?) for about 250 roundtrip from CA to NY or Boston!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:09 pm

nightynite wrote:
I booked LAX to RDU on Southwest for Duke's ASW for $300 roundtrip...Jetblue just had a 2 day sale (ended yesterday?) for about 250 roundtrip from CA to NY or Boston!
Dammit I missed that!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 pm

I did see the SW specials, but for me to get to even Newark cost extra. No deal for philly :(

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:09 pm

sreichel wrote:Coastal SoCal here, and I have to say the biggest thing that scares me about going east is the weather. It's sunny and ~75 degrees outside, I don't even really own a good coat, just some sweatshirts and a snowboarding jacket. Anyone with experience either in the Penn area or Virginia area originally from California? How gnarly are we talking?
I'm from SF and went to UG in Baltimore.. I didn't think the weather was a deal breaker, but I was pretty unhappy sometimes. In the summer it is humid and disgusting, and in the winter it's cold, but at least it doesn't snow as much as some other areas in the US. Fall and Spring are pretty awesome though. You'll definitely need some warmer clothes.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Awesome thread!! I live in SF and I've been accepted to schools in NYC and DC. I actually want to stay in SF but I don't think it will happen. I already went to UG on the east coast, so I'm used to the moving back and forth. You end up getting tons of miles on airlines - sign up for some sort of frequent mile program now if you haven't done it yet! I drove across the country the southern route (Baltimore > Atlanta > New Orleans > Austin > Phoenix > SF) and had the best time EVER. I will definitely drive back to the east coast if I go to school there, but hopefully take a longer time and have a bit more relaxed of a schedule. I also recommend selling your furniture and buying new stuff when you get there unless you are particularly attached to some things (I kept my TV and some lamps).

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Posts in other threads today have been talking about the single digit temps in NYC and Philly. Brace yourselves, my friends. This is going to be one frigid change.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Squishy

New

Post by Squishy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:01 am

This thread makes me sad. From LA, I went to UG in chicago, where I wore the SoCal version of a "jacket" for two quarters before I caved. I am currently wrapping up 7 yrs at berkeley. Now I'm faced with the prospect once again of frigid endless winters and horribly humid summers.

And the food....that *really* makes me sad.

Taco carts in oakland are fantastic. But in&out? Surely the bay area folks here can list at the very least 5 other great burgers in the area that are actually closer to the centers of sf, oakland, and berkeley?

I'm not sure, but I think undergrads on campus just eat at the "asian ghetto" and then when they can bum a ride, go drive all the way to in&out. Ahhhh undergrads...=)

Crap, maybe I should just stay.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 am

Squishy wrote:This thread makes me sad. From LA, I went to UG in chicago, where I wore the SoCal version of a "jacket" for two quarters before I caved. I am currently wrapping up 7 yrs at berkeley. Now I'm faced with the prospect once again of frigid endless winters and horribly humid summers.

Taco carts in oakland are fantastic. But in&out? Surely the bay area folks here can list at the very least 5 other great burgers in the area that are actually closer to the centers of sf, oakland, and berkeley?

I'm not sure, but I think undergrads on campus just eat at the "asian ghetto" and then when they can bum a ride, go drive all the way to in&out. Ahhhh undergrads...=)

There's an In-N-Out in downtown SF... And how does being closer to SF/Oakland/Berkeley make a food place any better than the rest of the Bay?

On a side note I just had Patxi's Chicago Pizza, holy fuck this was amazing shit.

rm61

New

Post by rm61 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 am

Born and raised near Huntington Beach, but spent my UG in NC. It's a nice and refreshing change of scene, and I'm glad I escaped the SoCal bubble, if only temporarily. I'm literally going STRAIGHT back to LA after law school. Why? Because my friends at SC have been at the beach this entire week while I wonder at the white things falling from the sky, because I still haven't grasped the concept of "layering" (wtf?), everyone here is a Celtics fan (real original, bandwagoners), and there is NO frozen yogurt ANYWHERE. And this is significantly more South than where I'll be for law school. I'm absolutely terrified for my first New England winter.

Surprisingly, of all the fast-food joints I missed during UG (besides Yogurtland, Coffee Bean, and Golden Spoon), it was El Pollo Loco. Random and semi-sketchy, yet so underrated.

The Mexican food here is OK, but its a different breed. I had never heard of queso dip before coming here, and no one has fish tacos.

hope my TLS-induced insomnia was put to some good use here...

Squishy

New

Post by Squishy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:50 am

Oh oops, sorry, didn't know about the one in downtown sf.

I was assuming those areas are closer to the relevant people, but I didn't mean to imply proximity itself makes the food taste better or worse.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Squishy wrote:This thread makes me sad. From LA, I went to UG in chicago, where I wore the SoCal version of a "jacket" for two quarters before I caved. I am currently wrapping up 7 yrs at berkeley. Now I'm faced with the prospect once again of frigid endless winters and horribly humid summers.

Lol at the "asian ghetto"

I remember going there as an undergrad myself and thinking "wtf is this terrible food?" and then immediately having a terrible stomach ache for a week. I think the rule about food in Berkeley is that it gets better the further you can get away from campus.

Burgers in "relevant places"(not necessarily the best, but good ones I can think of off the top of my head):
San Francisco - Taylor's Automatic Refresher (@ the ferry building)
Berkeley - Barney's (I think it's a chain with locations in socal though)
Oakland - Can't think of a burger place better than the Barney's location in Oakland so I'll just say the chicken sandwich at Bakesale Betty's is awesome

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 pm

bk187 wrote:

There's an In-N-Out in downtown SF... And how does being closer to SF/Oakland/Berkeley make a food place any better than the rest of the Bay?

On a side note I just had Patxi's Chicago Pizza, holy fuck this was amazing shit.
I looooooooove Patxi's!!! I've never really liked deep dish until the moment I tried my first pizza there.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:18 pm

champsound wrote:

Lol at the "asian ghetto"

I remember going there as an undergrad myself and thinking "wtf is this terrible food?" and then immediately having a terrible stomach ache for a week. I think the rule about food in Berkeley is that it gets better the further you can get away from campus.

Burgers in "relevant places"(not necessarily the best, but good ones I can think of off the top of my head):
San Francisco - Taylor's Automatic Refresher (@ the ferry building)
Berkeley - Barney's (I think it's a chain with locations in socal though)
Oakland - Can't think of a burger place better than the Barney's location in Oakland so I'll just say the chicken sandwich at Bakesale Betty's is awesome
I like Barney's too - there is also one in SF on Steiner!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm

rm61 wrote:Born and raised near Huntington Beach, but spent my UG in NC. It's a nice and refreshing change of scene, and I'm glad I escaped the SoCal bubble, if only temporarily. I'm literally going STRAIGHT back to LA after law school. Why? Because my friends at SC have been at the beach this entire week while I wonder at the white things falling from the sky, because I still haven't grasped the concept of "layering" (wtf?), everyone here is a Celtics fan (real original, bandwagoners), and there is NO frozen yogurt ANYWHERE. And this is significantly more South than where I'll be for law school. I'm absolutely terrified for my first New England winter.

Surprisingly, of all the fast-food joints I missed during UG (besides Yogurtland, Coffee Bean, and Golden Spoon), it was El Pollo Loco. Random and semi-sketchy, yet so underrated.

The Mexican food here is OK, but its a different breed. I had never heard of queso dip before coming here, and no one has fish tacos.

hope my TLS-induced insomnia was put to some good use here...
No froyo is indeed going to be a difficult adjustment. :cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”