West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
law_monkey

West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:16 am

I figured I would start a thread for those of us planning on heading east so we can compare notes/thoughts on schools. It's a long expensive trip to the other side, so I'm sure at least some of us will be making compromises on our visits. Plus you might find a fellow classmate who's already nearby! :D

lakerfanimal

Re: West Coasters "In" at East Coast Schools

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 am

law_monkey wrote:I figured I would start a thread for those of us planning on heading east so we can compare notes/thoughts on schools. It's a long expensive trip to the other side, so I'm sure at least some of us will be making compromises on our visits. Plus you might find a fellow classmate who's already nearby! :D

Awesome thread :)

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I figured I would start a thread for those of us planning on heading east so we can compare notes/thoughts on schools. It's a long expensive trip to the other side, so I'm sure at least some of us will be making compromises on our visits. Plus you might find a fellow classmate who's already nearby! :D

I am in Bay Area and will likely be heading to Boston. Wondering if other people are planning to hire a moving company or just sell their old stuff and buy new stuff. I am thinking a moving company will be very expensive. Also wondering if I should drive cross country with my car or ship it and fly. Or maybe just get rid of the car.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

sarahh wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:

I am in Bay Area and will likely be heading to Boston. Wondering if other people are planning to hire a moving company or just sell their old stuff and buy new stuff. I am thinking a moving company will be very expensive. Also wondering if I should drive cross country with my car or ship it and fly. Or maybe just get rid of the car.

I'm probably getting a lot of new stuff since I don't have a ton of my own stuff anyways. I'm looking forward to driving cross country, if your car can handle it, why not?

Voyager

Postby Voyager » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Say goodbye to civilized weather.

Otherwise both Boston and NY are good experiences to have. Also, recognize that getting back to California is not guaranteed.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:50 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:I'm probably getting a lot of new stuff since I don't have a ton of my own stuff anyways. I'm looking forward to driving cross country, if your car can handle it, why not?

Because your new place doesn't necessarily guarantee parking? Plus you have to pay for things like insurance on something that isn't necessary?

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah, I have to see what housing we wind up with and whether my husband needs a car for the job he will hopefully find. I think that flying or driving two cats who whine like crazy in their carrier will probably be the worst part of the move.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm probably hiring a moving company. I know it will be expensive, but I just think that it'll be the easiest way to make sure all my stuff gets out there. I'm still in UG though, so I don't have much furniture. I'll probably just need one of the smaller U-hauls.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm

law_monkey wrote:I'm probably hiring a moving company. I know it will be expensive, but I just think that it'll be the easiest way to make sure all my stuff gets out there. I'm still in UG though, so I don't have much furniture. I'll probably just need one of the smaller U-hauls.

?? You mean you are going to drive the U-haul yourself or hire someone? We thought about doing the U-haul - I think the cost was only something like $2,200 - but I wonder how long the trip would take.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:14 pm

sarahh wrote:
law_monkey wrote:I'm probably hiring a moving company. I know it will be expensive, but I just think that it'll be the easiest way to make sure all my stuff gets out there. I'm still in UG though, so I don't have much furniture. I'll probably just need one of the smaller U-hauls.

?? You mean you are going to drive the U-haul yourself or hire someone? We thought about doing the U-haul - I think the cost was only something like $2,200 - but I wonder how long the trip would take.

Cross country is like 48 hours total time spent diving.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 pm

sarahh wrote:

Haha definitely hiring someone or at least finding someone to come out with me. I definitely would not feel comfortable driving a big truck across the country by myself.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Washingtonian here, in at GW. :) From one Washington to another, I guess.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:25 pm

NZA wrote:Washingtonian here, in at GW. :) From one Washington to another, I guess.

Yay congrats!!

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:27 pm

law_monkey wrote:
NZA wrote:Washingtonian here, in at GW. :) From one Washington to another, I guess.

Yay congrats!!

Thanks! I'll probably end up at GW unless I get into Michigan. I'm interested to see what the East Coast is like...I've only been there once.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 pm

NZA wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Yay congrats!!

Thanks! I'll probably end up at GW unless I get into Michigan. I'm interested to see what the East Coast is like...I've only been there once.

I spent a summer in DC before and LOVED it! That's why I'm heading east since that's ultimately where I want to end up. It does have a different culture than the west coast from what I could tell though.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 pm

I am from LA, went to school in San Diego, and have lived in OR and WA the past few years (so all over the west coast). This past fall I spent 6 weeks in Boston, and absolutely love it! I am hoping I end up at BU or BC.

I just recently moved to a different apartment and sold my super nice couch on craigslist. Now I am down to an expensive mattress, a dining room table, and my 46" samsung led tv. If I end up in the east coast, I have decided that since my tv is the only thing of real value, I will take the hit and sell it for not nearly what its worth. :cry:

To me, the costs of moving furniture and what not just doesn't seem worth it.

pennyloafer17

Postby pennyloafer17 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 pm

sarahh wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:

Last time I was in Boston I really liked the public transportation...do you think you'll really need the car?

toptwin

Postby toptwin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Fom LA, just recently got the acceptance to BC - I am really looking forward to it. I will probably end up attending, but I have given no thought to the move.. damn.

NZA

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 pm

We should just do an exchange program for East Coast/West Coast law students who are moving opposite directions. :) We can just each others' stuffs.

glacierfrost

Postby glacierfrost » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 pm

NZA wrote:We should just do an exchange program for East Coast/West Coast law students who are moving opposite directions. :) We can just each others' stuffs.

Ingenious +1

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
NZA wrote:We should just do an exchange program for East Coast/West Coast law students who are moving opposite directions. :) We can just each others' stuffs.

Ingenious +1

Another +1!!! Except that I just have boring cheap college student furniture, so some fancy business person would probably trade with me and be extremely disappointed.

akak179

Postby akak179 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:43 pm

glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

I wish, Tacos are my weakness. You will experience soft pretzels and cheesesteaks that you cannot imagine though.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:15 am

CA here - likely going to end up in VA/DC.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:49 am

glacierfrost wrote:Bay Area native moving to Philly. I wonder if they have bomb ass taco trucks there?

Which Philly school?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”