UC Irvine biglaw placement

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
2011Law

UC Irvine biglaw placement

Postby 2011Law » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm wondering if there is data out for Irvine's biglaw placement? If not, anyone have a good idea of what percentage of their class places in biglaw? Something close to what Davis and Hastings places maybe? I've already got 21 schools on my list to apply to, and kinda want one more to get to 22, my lucky number.

EDIT: just wanna add that I'm applying to so many cause I'm a splitter 3.37 / 168.

kapital98

Re: UC Irvine biglaw placement

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 pm

The application fee for UCI Law is waived for all students. You'll only have to pay the $12 LSAC reporting fee. All students this year will receive a minimum 1/3rd tuition scholarship for attending.

http://www.law.uci.edu/press_releases/10-21-10.html

Unfortunately, no employment data exists for UCI Law. This should be obvious because the first class is now entering their senior year. No official data exists for last years OCI (and starting a law school during a jobless recovery never looks good...)

UCI is expected to have around, maybe better, employment statistics as Davis or Hastings. However, that is pure speculation :D

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 am

Isn't Irvine mainly for those interested in PI? I thought only (literally) a handful of students got biglaw. There's a thread somewhere on TLS, which I'm too lazy to search for, about Irvine's job prospects.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 am

There's no formal data available yet, but I can give it to you: UCI grads are currently 0 for 0 in getting biglaw.

I think UCLA (and at a minimum USC) is entirely within your reach with those stats; those are better options.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:09 am

Almost every 2L I've talked to has a position with a firm for the summer, but since I am not interested in firms at all I really don't know biglaw from midlaw to small law. The firms that I know are big that hired students are Knobbe Martin, O'Melveney, and Gibson Dunn. I know one student is with a firm in Hawaii for the summer, don't know the firm name - but Hawaii sounds like a good gig. The one PI student I know has an awesome ACLU gig for the summer. But I've only talked to around a dozen 2Ls regarding jobs out of the ~60. Everyone I've asked has something lined up; none of the 2Ls I've talked to are still looking.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:11 am

cornellbeez wrote:Isn't Irvine mainly for those interested in PI? I thought only (literally) a handful of students got biglaw. There's a thread somewhere on TLS, which I'm too lazy to search for, about Irvine's job prospects.

Irvine doesn't necessarily push PI - plenty of students are interested in firm work. However they stress Pro bono work and giving back even if you choose to do firm work. And the culture is such that you are expected to do pro bono work as a student, which is great experience. UCI may have more of a PI focus than most schools, but there isn't pressure to do PI over firm work.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”