Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Chicago (sticker) vs. Virginia (sticker) for NYC BIGLAW

Chicago
84%
Virginia
16%

Total votes: 105

UnTouChablE

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
A&O wrote:I like discussing this with you. EbonyEsq doesn't exactly seem like an educated person.

Not funny at all dumbass! Not even a lil bit funny.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:44 pm

albanach wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Those numbers are meaningless.

I disagree.

Patriot1208 wrote:The numbers that matter are the gpa cutoff numbers for Vault level firms. Those give us a good idea of how low in the class the various Biglaw firms will deep when making offers. That is what really matters, not number of grads or percentage of grads. Also, a lot of UVA targets DC, but not a huge percentage end up in DC because of how much harder it is to get into as compared to NYC.

Yes, those numbers would be helpful. Do you have them?

1) Percentage of people in a given city is meaningless because no one can account for self selection. What matters is how easy it is to get into a top firm in that city, which, we cannot determine from those numbers.
2) No, they are given out to students at these places. I am not a student at these schools. Although, i've heard that the Chicago chart is laying around out there in the internet somewhere.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:57 pm

ahduth wrote:It was a general assumption based on prestige, but I asked a friend of mine who is a senior associate at a V50. Her first response was, who cares, they're both good schools. Then I specified that the person had asked us to choose between the two, and she said Chicago of course, the name is better and carries more weight. Her exceptions were Hunton and Williams and King and Spalding, which are both based in the south, and have huge UVA networks. She then mocked me for reading a message board where people were debating something so idiotic.

And that's really the correct response. They're both perfectly fine schools. What all those other people did is kind of irrelevant to you - if you expect the school's prestige to magically transport you into big law you're kind of a scrub anyhow.

There's a lot of truth to this. At schools with reputations this close your grades will determine the job you get. I still stand by the statement that Chicago is better for NYC firms though.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

BruceWayne wrote:There's a lot of truth to this. At schools with reputations this close your grades will determine the job you get. I still stand by the statement that Chicago is better for NYC firms though.

Yes but as you said, the answer is Chi even if the margin isn't all that great.

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
A&O wrote:I like discussing this with you. EbonyEsq doesn't exactly seem like an educated person.

Not funny at all dumbass! Not even a lil bit funny.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:06 pm

ahduth wrote:It was a general assumption based on prestige, but I asked a friend of mine who is a senior associate at a V50. Her first response was, who cares, they're both good schools. Then I specified that the person had asked us to choose between the two, and she said Chicago of course, the name is better and carries more weight. Her exceptions were Hunton and Williams and King and Spalding, which are both based in the south, and have huge UVA networks. She then mocked me for reading a message board where people were debating something so idiotic.

And that's really the correct response. They're both perfectly fine schools. What all those other people did is kind of irrelevant to you - if you expect the school's prestige to magically transport you into big law you're kind of a scrub anyhow.

I like you.

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Last edited by reversejinx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:39 pm

+1. Where is Transnistria? I'd like to go there so we can make out because you're awesome.

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 am

Well, that's a tad condescending, don't you think? I don't think it was anywhere implied that I wished to be "magically transported" anywhere, the question was which option would likely present the greatest opportunities for entry and advancement in my desired area of interest. The difference may be marginal- but that margin is important to some. I do get what you're saying though, and thank you for taking the time to get a second opinion.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:Well, that's a tad condescending, don't you think? I don't think it was anywhere implied that I wished to be "magically transported" anywhere, the question was which option would likely present the greatest opportunities for entry and advancement in my desired area of interest. The difference may be marginal- but that margin is important to some. I do get what you're saying though, and thank you for taking the time to get a second opinion.

I apologize, that really wasn't aimed at you directly. It's a perfectly reasonable question, and one that everyone needs to ask once they start receiving acceptances. The bent of the thread became extremely vitriolic (thank you EbonyEsq), and I think I was responding to that.

The point stands however: people are going to look at both these schools and say, that's a great school. But show me what you did, and what you can do for me. Very broadly, there's a lot of extremely microscopic analysis that goes on here at TLS about, this school placing 10% better than that school and this school placing better in this market and so forth. Are firms going to "reach more deeply into Chicago's class" for placements? Probably. Does that really impact you personally? Only if you allow it to. The broad brush analysis is too reductive for me, and it has this vague air of people trying to skate through life based on prestige. You sound like you're doing due diligence though, which is what everyone should do - automatically going to the highest ranked school isn't always the right answer.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”