Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Chicago (sticker) vs. Virginia (sticker) for NYC BIGLAW

Chicago
88
84%
Virginia
17
16%
 
Total votes: 105

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:05 pm

bk1 wrote:If you want NYC biglaw, I could easily see an argument for NYU/CLS over UVa/UChi, but any other school in the tri-state/Northeast area? Please, Cornell is a bit of a stretch over UVa/UChi and any other school (Fordham et al) is laughable to take over UVa/UChi.


What nonsense are you speaking on??

The point is, I came into this discussion knowing OP has a shot at HLS, CLS and NYU, hence the "tri-state/NE area" response.

It won't come down to UVA v. UChi for her. The end.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:07 pm

But OP, even if it came down to UChicago at sticker and lets say, Cornell with $$$, I'd go with the latter.


Do you have attention deficit disorder? Why is it so difficult to answer the question asked? Nobody here is advocating against taking Cornell with a full scholarship over Chicago, mostly because the original post doesn't ask about that.

Your response is almost as useless as when someone asks about Fordham vs. Cardozo, and you tell them they should take Harvard instead.

Who said I was a para and moreover, who said I did not have inside info on how recruitment works ?


If you're not licensed to practice or haven't taken the bar, you are not an attorney at your firm. If you're not an attorney at your firm, you probably have no realistic bearing on how your firm recruits. Even if you did, that does not entitle you to generalize and make statements about the recruiting practices of all big firms.

You do understand these distinctions, right?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:If Chicago and Virginia are your only options, and assuming sticker at both, Chicago by far.

However, strongly consider acceptances from Columbia/NYU/UPenn/Cornell if you get them - and there is no real reason to consider any other T14 schools beyond those listed above due to the fact that you have an acceptance to Chicago.

The order of importance of schools looks like this (for your goal):
1. Columbia/NYU
2. Chicago
3. Penn
4. Cornell


Why would you consider Penn and Cornell but not UVA?


My reply was based on the assumption that the OP would not be happy anywhere but NYC. If that is true, I don't see how anyone could disagree.

UVA is an outstanding school. However, 1) it doesn't feed into NYC like the others do (and they, as a result, have a lot more alumni there) and 2) it has pre-select OCI which I think is degrading for a school of its caliber.

Kaitlyn wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:If Chicago and Virginia are your only options, and assuming sticker at both, Chicago by far.

However, strongly consider acceptances from Columbia/NYU/UPenn/Cornell if you get them - and there is no real reason to consider any other T14 schools beyond those listed above due to the fact that you have an acceptance to Chicago.

The order of importance of schools looks like this (for your goal):
1. Columbia/NYU
2. Chicago
3. Penn
4. Cornell


Thanks for this! Yes, this is around what I thought myself (though I assume HYS would be at the top of the list). I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being foolish for throwing UVA out as an option, now that I have UChicago. I'm still waiting on HYSCNPB, so I have a while before I need make a final decision.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!


Yeah I didn't know HYS were in the mix as well. Obviously, they would be on top. Oh, and don't worry about Boalt. It's not better than Chicago (neither is MVPDNGVandy)

bk1 wrote:Why are people acting like ties matter for NYC? :?


If OP attends law school in NYC, 1) she would be able to intern during the academic year at law firms/governments/courts, and 2) she could keep her apartment during the summer while she interns in NYC, and 3) keep her apartment after graduation. Trust me, these three things are worth far more than UVA/Boalt/Duke/Northwestern/Georgetown/Michigan with decent scholarship - especially given the fact that she KNOWS she wants NYC.

UPenn is better than the rest of the T14+Vandy for NYC (after HYSCCN).

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:11 pm

A&O wrote:If you're not licensed to practice or haven't taken the bar, you are not an attorney at your firm. If you're not an attorney at your firm, you probably have no realistic bearing on how your firm recruits. Even if you did, that does not entitle you to generalize and make statements about the recruiting practices of all big firms.

You do understand these distinctions, right?


And you assume I only worked at one NYC BIGLAW firm, right? Or that only attorneys
know how the firm recruits?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And FYI, if you read carefully I said MANY firms, NOT all.

Whatever, I'm not going to argue with someone who has never stepped foot in or affiliated his/herself with NYC BIGLAW.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind the OP having Harvard as a choice. Are URMs with 160/3.9 autoadmits at HLS?

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Whatever, I'm not going to argue with someone who has never stepped foot in or affiliated his/herself with NYC BIGLAW.


Now who's making the assumptions about whom?
:roll:

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:14 pm

UVA is an outstanding school. However, 1) it doesn't feed into NYC like the others do (and they, as a result, have a lot more alumni there)


UChicago doesn't exactly "feed into NYC" either.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:15 pm

A&O wrote:Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind the OP having Harvard as a choice. Are URMs with 160/3.9 autoadmits at HLS?



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Good luck, OP! :wink:

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:16 pm

A&O wrote:Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind the OP having Harvard as a choice. Are URMs with 160/3.9 autoadmits at HLS?


If they're AA then yeah they're pretty close. That's why I was laughing when you were telling me what schools I was "trolling" for that I "couldn't" have been accepted to in an earlier thread.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:17 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:What nonsense are you speaking on??

The point is, I came into this discussion knowing OP has a shot at HLS, CLS and NYU, hence the "tri-state/NE area" response.

It won't come down to UVA v. UChi for her. The end.


When you say:

EbonyEsq wrote:if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia.


And then:

EbonyEsq wrote:If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.


Seems to me like you are advocating for a school in the tri-state/northeast that doesn't cost sticker. Since CLS/HLS/NYU are all probably at sticker, your statement implied lesser schools such as Fordham and others.

What you are saying now makes a lot more sense, but your first phrase was very very poorly worded. You should have just said "your chances are good at getting into NYU/CLS/HLS, take those over Chi/UVa since you want NYC biglaw" instead of your "tri-state/northeast" nonsense.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby UnTouChablE » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:20 pm

A&O wrote:
But OP, even if it came down to UChicago at sticker and lets say, Cornell with $$$, I'd go with the latter.


Do you have attention deficit disorder? Why is it so difficult to answer the question asked? Nobody here is advocating against taking Cornell with a full scholarship over Chicago, mostly because the original post doesn't ask about that.

Your response is almost as useless as when someone asks about Fordham vs. Cardozo, and you tell them they should take Harvard instead.

Who said I was a para and moreover, who said I did not have inside info on how recruitment works ?


If you're not licensed to practice or haven't taken the bar, you are not an attorney at your firm. If you're not an attorney at your firm, you probably have no realistic bearing on how your firm recruits. Even if you did, that does not entitle you to generalize and make statements about the recruiting practices of all big firms.

You do understand these distinctions, right?


Dang son!! stop talking he is killing you. And saying take 'harvard or Columbia/NYU' when the question only delineates two options is stupid. Chicago is TCR

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Seems to me like you are advocating for a school in the tri-state/northeast that doesn't cost sticker. Since CLS/HLS/NYU are all probably at sticker, your statement implied lesser schools such as Fordham and others.


Yup, yup, yup.

This ebonyesq person seems almost like a troll. Probably not worth arguing against.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
A&O wrote:Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind the OP having Harvard as a choice. Are URMs with 160/3.9 autoadmits at HLS?


If they're AA then yeah they're pretty close. That's why I was laughing when you were telling me what schools I was "trolling" for that I "couldn't" have been accepted to in an earlier thread.


I plugged her numbers into LSP, and it doesn't seem like she's getting into HYSCN, for the most part.

I don't know if the tool is inaccurate, and I'm not sure about what numbers do what these days. I haven't been in the admissions process for years now.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:25 pm

bk1 wrote:What you are saying now makes a lot more sense, but your first phrase was very very poorly worded. You should have just said "your chances are good at getting into NYU/CLS/HLS, take those over Chi/UVa since you want NYC biglaw" instead of your "tri-state/northeast" nonsense.


All folks had to do was open up OP's profile and take note of the schools she applied to that fall into the "tri-state/NE area" - Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Columbia and NYU.

Yet, ya'll getting your panties in a bunch because you immediately think I'm suggesting she chooses the likes of Seton Hall and other TTTs over UVA or UChicago.

And you call yourselves grown men?

Yo, I'm done. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:26 pm

A&O wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
A&O wrote:Also, I don't understand the reasoning behind the OP having Harvard as a choice. Are URMs with 160/3.9 autoadmits at HLS?


If they're AA then yeah they're pretty close. That's why I was laughing when you were telling me what schools I was "trolling" for that I "couldn't" have been accepted to in an earlier thread.


I plugged her numbers into LSP, and it doesn't seem like she's getting into HYSCN, for the most part.

I don't know if the tool is inaccurate, and I'm not sure about what numbers do what these days. I haven't been in the admissions process for years now.


Game. Set. Match.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:All folks had to do was open up OP's profile and take note of the schools she applied to that fall into the "tri-state/NE area" - Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Columbia and NYU.

Yet, ya'll getting your panties in a bunch because you immediately think I'm suggesting she chooses the likes of Seton Hall and other TTTs over UVA or UChicago.

And you call yourselves grown men?

Yo, I'm done. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Holy fuck, just admit you original post was worded like shit and be done with it.

I don't care what you think, just trying to show you what your sentence implied and why everyone else reacted the way they did.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby albanach » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
My reply was based on the assumption that the OP would not be happy anywhere but NYC. If that is true, I don't see how anyone could disagree.

UVA is an outstanding school. However, 1) it doesn't feed into NYC like the others do (and they, as a result, have a lot more alumni there) and 2) it has pre-select OCI which I think is degrading for a school of its caliber.



You are aware that the class size at Cornell and Chicago is almost half the size of UVa, and at Penn it's almost a third smaller?

Even if a much smaller percentage of UVa grads were heading to NYC, it seems unlikely that they have significantly fewer alumni there simply by virtue of there being more UVa grads.

$$$$$$
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby $$$$$$ » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

If you want NYC biglaw, both schools are great. Chicago has a smaller class size and probably can get you a more prestigious firm for similar class rankings, but by no means do they blow uva out of the water. Also, UVa has a ton of people that do not want to practice in New York, so it may be easier to get because I think there is less competition.

Chicago is a not doing well as a legal market, im sure they will be on their way back at some point, but it is a risky market to have your home base in right now and so NY will be a big market for Uchi students and thus more competitive. I'm just saying, it is not cut and dry, sure chicago has vaguely better employment stats, but if you like UVa more and you are paying sticker for both, go to UVa.

Edit: The "Degrading" oci system uva has is actually looked at positively by employers who can pre - select the students they want, and i know law students are semi-retarded, but many top undergrad b-schools have it the same exact way and it works out just fine for them.
Last edited by $$$$$$ on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:30 pm

Also, UVa has a ton of people that do not want to practice in New York, so it may be easier to get because I think there is less competition.


How will DC's competitiveness not force more UVA students to target NYC in just the same way that the health of Chicago's legal market will force more Chicago students to target NYC?

User avatar
Fresh
Posts: 681
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Kaitlyn -

I would choose UChi over UVa for NYC biglaw. However, once your cycle rounds out, NYU/CLS/HLS acceptances should supersede UChi.




ps this thread turned really retarded really quickly

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 pm

A&O wrote:How will DC's competitiveness not force more UVA students to target NYC in just the same way that the health of Chicago's legal market will force more Chicago students to target NYC?


Because people are dumb and ignorant.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm

bk1 wrote:
A&O wrote:How will DC's competitiveness not force more UVA students to target NYC in just the same way that the health of Chicago's legal market will force more Chicago students to target NYC?


Because people are dumb and ignorant.

Don't forget that 40% of UVA's class are Virginians, too. I'm sure many want to stay close to home.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 pm

sundance95 wrote:Don't forget that 40% of UVA's class are Virginians, too. I'm sure many want to stay close to home.


Good point.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Fresh wrote:Kaitlyn -

I would choose UChi over UVa for NYC biglaw. However, once your cycle rounds out, NYU/CLS/HLS acceptances should supersede UChi.



Agreed, but on the real, I won't advise she pay sticker for UVA seeing how much money they usually throw at URMs.

Fresh wrote:ps this thread turned really retarded really quickly


For real.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:36 pm

For real.

...the irony.

Agreed, but on the real, I won't advise she pay sticker for UVA seeing how much money they usually throw at URMs.


I don't think I've met a single student who insists on paying sticker for a school that gives them money. How is this useful advice?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, gc2maxpro and 3 guests