Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Chicago (sticker) vs. Virginia (sticker) for NYC BIGLAW

Chicago
88
84%
Virginia
17
16%
 
Total votes: 105

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby Kaitlyn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:43 pm

I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.


I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.


I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.


If OP had that option, wouldn't he have said so in his first post?

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:32 pm

A&O wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.


I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.


If OP had that option, wouldn't he have said so in his first post?


OP is in fact a she and she is a regular poster in the URM forum. Last I recall she is still waiting to hear back from a few schools.

DEKOCARDS
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby DEKOCARDS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:35 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.


I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.



This is bad advice. The only Tri-State schools that would improve OPs odds of NYC Big Law over U Chicago would be to go to Yale, NYU, or Columbia. Considering the initial question, I doubt that those are options for OP. Would you really suggest Fordham or Rutgers-N over Chicago, just because they are in the Tri-state or Northeast? Even Penn wouldn't have the placement power that Chicago has...

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.


I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.


You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

OP: NYC is the easiest market to get from either of these schools. Go to Chicago (or the best school you get into) if you're willing to pay sticker and want to get the best (highest ranked in Vault) firm in NYC you can.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:39 pm

DEKOCARDS wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.


I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.



This is bad advice. The only Tri-State schools that would improve OPs odds of NYC Big Law over U Chicago would be to go to Yale, NYU, or Columbia. Considering the initial question, I doubt that those are options for OP. Would you really suggest Fordham or Rutgers-N over Chicago, just because they are in the Tri-state or Northeast? Even Penn wouldn't have the placement power that Chicago has...


As someone working in BIGLAW for quite a few years, I can safely say UPenn has better placement in the NYC area than Chicago. And FYI, Tristate = NY/NJ/CT. OP is still awaiting word from a few NY schools and Yale.

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby Kaitlyn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:40 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
A&O wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
Kaitlyn wrote:I don't have ties to either Chicago or NYC. I'd like to work BIGLAW in NYC if I can, or for a mid-level firm in the northeast.


I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.


If OP had that option, wouldn't he have said so in his first post?


OP is in fact a she and she is a regular poster in the URM forum. Last I recall she is still waiting to hear back from a few schools.



And here I thought the name and picture would help with gender disambiguation. :lol:

Thanks, Susannah! :wink: I am still waiting for a few schools keeping a very close eye on NYU/Columbia in particular. I can see sticker at UVA not being ideal, but do you think Chicago at sticker would be a worse option than, say, Penn at sticker for the Northeast? I was under the impression that all the CCN schools trumped every school other than HYS for BIGLAW opportunities.

ETA: Oops, too slow!
Last edited by Kaitlyn on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm

As someone working in BIGLAW for quite a few years, I can safely say UPenn has better placement in the NYC area than Chicago.


How does working in biglaw make you qualified to say this?

And what if OP gets into HS? Shouldn't she attend those schools for NYC biglaw over Chicago/UVA even though they aren't in the tri-state area?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:42 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:I can safely say UPenn has better placement in the NYC area than Chicago


What's your basis for that?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:45 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:As someone working in BIGLAW for quite a few years, I can safely say UPenn has better placement in the NYC area than Chicago. And FYI, Tristate = NY/NJ/CT. OP is still awaiting word from a few NY schools and Yale.


More Penn students in NYC firms does not =Penn placing better into NYC firms (particularly when you look at how small UChicago's class size is). If that were the case then you'd have to say that Penn placed better into NYC firms than Yale and Stanford-it doesn't. UChicago is a better choice for NYC than Penn. Firms will go deeper into Chicago's class than they will Penn's.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:46 pm

If Chicago and Virginia are your only options, and assuming sticker at both, Chicago by far.

However, strongly consider acceptances from Columbia/NYU/UPenn/Cornell if you get them - and there is no real reason to consider any other T14 schools beyond those listed above due to the fact that you have an acceptance to Chicago.

The order of importance of schools looks like this (for your goal):
1. Columbia/NYU
2. Chicago
3. Penn
4. Cornell

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Kaitlyn wrote:And here I though the name and picture would help with gender disambiguation. :lol:

Thanks, Susannah! :wink: I am still waiting for a few schools keeping a very close eye on NYU/Columbia in particular. I can see sticker at UVA not being ideal, but do you think Chicago at sticker would be a worse option than, say, Penn at sticker for the Northeast? I was under the impression that all the CCN schools trumped every school other than HYS for BIGLAW opportunities.

ETA: Oops, too slow!


Kaitlyn :wink:

I'm more than convinced you'll be in at Columbia or NYU and I'm pretty certain it won't come down to UVA or Chicago at sticker price. I'm also crossing my fingers for Stanford and Harvard for you!

One thing many of these non-URM folks don't understand is that if you are black and smart, you do not have to pay sticker price to attend a top law school. I'm more than certain better options will come your way WITH scholarship money. :mrgreen:

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If Chicago and Virginia are your only options, and assuming sticker at both, Chicago by far.

However, strongly consider acceptances from Columbia/NYU/UPenn/Cornell if you get them - and there is no real reason to consider any other T14 schools beyond those listed above due to the fact that you have an acceptance to Chicago.

The order of importance of schools looks like this (for your goal):
1. Columbia/NYU
2. Chicago
3. Penn
4. Cornell


Why would you consider Penn and Cornell but not UVA?

DEKOCARDS
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby DEKOCARDS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:As someone working in BIGLAW for quite a few years, I can safely say UPenn has better placement in the NYC area than Chicago. And FYI, Tristate = NY/NJ/CT. OP is still awaiting word from a few NY schools and Yale.


More Penn students in NYC firms does not =Penn placing better into NYC firms (particularly when you look at how small UChicago's class size is). If that were the case then you'd have to say that Penn placed better into NYC firms than Yale and Stanford-it doesn't. UChicago is a better choice for NYC than Penn. Firms will go deeper into Chicago's class than they will Penn's.


This. I'm in nyc biglaw myself. Penn does not equal Chicago in terms of power. No way.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 pm

One thing many of these non-URM folks don't understand is that if you are black and smart, you do not have to pay sticker price to attend a top law school.


This sounds needlessly antagonizing.

The original post was about Chicago vs. UVA for NYC biglaw placement, not whether one should pay sticker for UVA. That discussion will be had when money is given and other opportunities are presented. There's not need to be hostile when people ask you to defend your statements.

Kaitlyn
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby Kaitlyn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If Chicago and Virginia are your only options, and assuming sticker at both, Chicago by far.

However, strongly consider acceptances from Columbia/NYU/UPenn/Cornell if you get them - and there is no real reason to consider any other T14 schools beyond those listed above due to the fact that you have an acceptance to Chicago.

The order of importance of schools looks like this (for your goal):
1. Columbia/NYU
2. Chicago
3. Penn
4. Cornell


Thanks for this! Yes, this is around what I thought myself (though I assume HYS would be at the top of the list). I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being foolish for throwing UVA out as an option, now that I have UChicago. I'm still waiting on HYSCNPB, so I have a while before I need make a final decision.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:51 pm

Why are people acting like ties matter for NYC? :?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 pm

bk1 wrote:Why are people acting like ties matter for NYC? :?


Exactly. Also, why are they acting like school location matters?

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:54 pm

A&O wrote:How does working in biglaw make you qualified to say this?


Because unlike most of you, I'm in it to know how many NYC BIGLAW firms recruit.


A&O wrote:And what if OP gets into HS? Shouldn't she attend those schools for NYC biglaw over Chicago/UVA even though they aren't in the tri-state area?


And was that not implied in my below response:

I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Because unlike most of you, I'm in it to know how many NYC BIGLAW firms recruit.


Working as a support staff member at a big law firm does not give necessarily give you an eye into how your firm recruits, to speak nothing of how NYC biglaw firms recruit in general.

And was that not implied in my below response:


Oh, OK! OP shouldn't attend SLS, then, right?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:59 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
A&O wrote:How does working in biglaw make you qualified to say this?


Because unlike most of you, I'm in it to know how many NYC BIGLAW firms recruit.


A&O wrote:And what if OP gets into HS? Shouldn't she attend those schools for NYC biglaw over Chicago/UVA even though they aren't in the tri-state area?


And was that not implied in my below response:

I know you're still waiting on a few responses but if I was you, I won't pay sticker price for either Chicago or Virginia. If you want BIGLAW in NYC, your chances are greatly increased if you attend law school in the Tri-state/Northeast area.


AO said that Harvard/Stanford better for the northeast than any school in NJ/NY/CT (barring Yale, obv).

If you want NYC biglaw, I could easily see an argument for NYU/CLS over UVa/UChi, but any other school in the tri-state/Northeast area? Please, Cornell is a bit of a stretch over UVa/UChi and any other school (Fordham et al) is laughable to take over UVa/UChi.

A&O
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:00 pm

If you want NYC biglaw, I could easily see an argument for NYU/CLS over UVa/UChi, but any other school in the tri-state/Northeast area? Please, Cornell is a bit of a stretch over UVa/UChi and any other school (Fordham et al) is laughable to take over UVa/UChi.


Yes.

There are so many ridiculous statements in this thread, I don't even know where to start. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the, "I'm a paralegal at this big firm, so I know how all big firms recruit," stuff.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:01 pm

A&O wrote:Working as a support staff member at a big law firm does not give necessarily give you an eye into how your firm recruits, to speak nothing of how NYC biglaw firms recruit in general.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever you say.

Oh, OK! OP shouldn't attend SLS, then, right?


OP presented her question as if it came down to UChicago and UVA. Of course TCR in such instance is UChicago, HOWEVER, what many of you did not know was OP is still awaiting word from higher ranked and better placed law schools for NYC BIGLAW.

But OP, even if it came down to UChicago at sticker and lets say, Cornell with $$$, I'd go with the latter.

IMHO, the only schools worth paying sticker price for is Yale or Harvard given their excellent LRAPs.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Chicago vs. Virginia for NYC BIGLAW

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:03 pm

A&O wrote:
If you want NYC biglaw, I could easily see an argument for NYU/CLS over UVa/UChi, but any other school in the tri-state/Northeast area? Please, Cornell is a bit of a stretch over UVa/UChi and any other school (Fordham et al) is laughable to take over UVa/UChi.


Yes.

There are so many ridiculous statements in this thread, I don't even know where to start. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the, "I'm a paralegal at this big firm, so I know how all big firms recruit," stuff.


Who said I was a para and moreover, who said I did not have inside info on how recruitment works ?

Please go sit yo' a$$ down and stop assuming ish as if you know me.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], FutureLitigator and 4 guests