'U.S. News' considering giving third tier law schools a #

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
irenic

Re: 'U.S. News' considering giving third tier law schools a #

Postby irenic » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:29 pm

I understand the logic of those clamoring for USN to only rank the T20 or so, but at the same time isn't it misleading to make the assumption that there is roughly no difference between T2, T3, and T4. For example, in Texas, should one automatically take the school offer which keeps their debt the lowest between offers from SMU (bottom T1), University of Houston (T2), Baylor (T2), Texas Tech (T3), St. Mary's (T4), and Texas Wesleyan (T4) if they didn't care what area of the state they wanted to practice simply because these schools are not T20 yet differ greatly is "rank"?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:33 pm

People should be looking at employment figures, alumni base, faculty research, etc factors to decide schools in that case. Even now when schools are ranked the way they are, people shouldn't be picking schools based on rank outside the top 20 or so.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 pm

ran12 wrote:People should be looking at employment figures, alumni base, faculty research, etc factors to decide schools in that case. Even now when schools are ranked the way they are, people shouldn't be picking schools based on rank outside the top 20 T12 or so.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
ran12 wrote:People should be looking at employment figures, alumni base, faculty research, etc factors to decide schools in that case. Even now when schools are ranked the way they are, people shouldn't be picking schools based on rank outside the top 20 T12 T3 or so.

Never mind. Yale.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 pm

STTTanford is regional.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:STTTanford is regional.

If by "regional," you mean "almost anywhere in the United STTTates," then sure.

lol

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
ran12 wrote:People should be looking at employment figures, alumni base, faculty research, etc factors to decide schools in that case. Even now when schools are ranked the way they are, people shouldn't be picking schools based on rank outside the top 20 T12 T3 or so.

You win the elitism prize of the day!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 pm

ran12 wrote:People should be looking at employment figures, alumni base, faculty research, etc factors to decide schools in that case. Even now when schools are ranked the way they are, people shouldn't be picking schools based on rank outside the top 20 or so.

But why bother caring about rank between HYS? I mean going to Yale because it is number 1, ok, but not necessarily over Stanford if you want IP nor should someone always choose Harvard over Stanford. Obviously, tiers matter much more.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:How about they only numerically rank the top 50 12 schools and then separate the rest into tiers with insulting names?

FTFY

pretty elitist post for someone from the University of PiTTTsburgh and a 166 on their LSAT. Not to disparage your 3.9 in Polisci and (ahem) creative writing.

For the record I'm mostly joking--had to defend the honor of my T13 though. Enjoy Penn, my buddy is a 2L there who seems to be enjoying it.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:14 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:How about they only numerically rank the top 50 12 schools and then separate the rest into tiers with insulting names?

FTFY

Yeah I would complete support the argument to not rank schools numerically. Period. The theory would be the following:

To classifiy:
1. T20 into Tier 1
2. All schools that are the best schools in their state (assuming their state has a major metropolitan area) and include law school ties (such as BU/BC or Temple/Villanova) would be Tier 2
3. All of the other schools would be unranked

For example, for NY:
Tier 1: Columbia, NYU, Cornell
Tier 2: Fordham
Tier 3: Everything Else

or CA:
Tier 1: Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC
Tier 2: Hastings/Davis
Tier 3: Everything else

Or DC:
Tier 1: Georgetown, George Washington
Tier 2: American

Or TX:
Tier 1: Texas
Tier 2: SMU/Houston

Or VA:
Tier 1: UVA
Tier 2: William and Mary/Washington and Lee

The logic would be: the national employers would hire from my proposed T1 to a significant, although varying, extent. Most regional employers hire from the best school (or tied schools) in each state. Thus, those schools (my proposed tier 2) need to be separated from all of the other schools due to the fact that the employment outcomes of their graduates would be significantly better than those of all of the other law programs in state except for my proposed tier 1 schools.

I do see that there are a few problems with this approach. But, I think it is more appropriate than the current system which implies that IUB is a better school than Temple. I'm not saying it's not, but the employment prospects from both schools would be extremely similar and under my proposed system, they would be ranked in the same group.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Or DC:

Egregious GW trolling.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Or DC:

Egregious GW trolling.

GW is one of my top choices, and even I agree. Not even close to GULC.

HeavenWood wrote:
androstan wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:It seems like every market but DC follows the local preference approach.

A point against going to GW?

Not if you want DC and can't get into a T14 (although I would not recommend it at sticker).

But if you can't get into the t14 at sticker, its unlikely that you will get much, if any, money at GW. This is my predicament. I have trouble sleeping.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

FTFY

pretty elitist post for someone from the University of PiTTTsburgh and a 166 on their LSAT. Not to disparage your 3.9 in Polisci and (ahem) creative writing.

For the record I'm mostly joking--had to defend the honor of my T13 though. Enjoy Penn, my buddy is a 2L there who seems to be enjoying it.

I actually wasn't being elitist. Cornell is a great school, but it and Georgetown are more super-regional than the rest of the T14.

But thanks for revealing your own insecurities. :wink:

BTW, Pitt has one of the best creative writing programs in the country. Creative writing is not nearly as easy as it sounds. I wouldn't categorize it as a hard major, but it's more rigorous than poli sci.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 am

HeavenWood wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

FTFY

I actually wasn't being elitist. Cornell is a great school, but it and Georgetown are more super-regional than the rest of the T14.

BTW, Pitt has one of the best creative writing programs in the country. Creative writing is not nearly as easy as it sounds. I wouldn't categorize it as a hard major, but it's more rigorous than poli sci.

Anything is more rigorous than Poli Sci........................................................except Comm.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25 am

HeavenWood wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

FTFY

no, i hear ya lol thank god i only wanted NYC. it's pretty solid for that. As someone who likes to 'creatively write' i agree with your opinion. still an easy target for a jab though :D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”