Indiana ($$$) or WUSTL ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NYCbound35

Bronze

Indiana ($$$) or WUSTL ($)

Post by NYCbound35 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:44 pm

I think that this is a decision that many of us will have to make, as both these schools are very splitter friendly and Indiana is giving out large scholarships, so I'd like to get some insight as I wait for my other decisions and offers.

I, like many other admitted applicants, received a 35k/year (no stips) scholarship from Indiana-Bloomington and anticipate (based on LSN data) to get 10-15k/year from Wash U. I am interested in IP work and would like to stay near my family in New York after I graduate. I currently have no undergrad debt and have about 10k saved up.

What choice makes more sense for me? Can I shop the Indiana offer to Wash U? If I get into one of my reaches (Cornell, Georgetown, Vandy), I was planning on going regardless of money...is this a good call?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

concurrent fork

Silver

Re: Indiana ($$$) or WUSTL ($)

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Why are you only considering midwest T30s if you want to be in NYC?

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:33 am

These are the first two schools that I have heard (positively) from...I've pretty much blanketed everything from Wash U to Fordham, as well as Cardozo/Brooklyn/Hofstra...as a splitter (3.0/169), I don't know if I have a good chance of getting off of Fordham's waitlist, getting into BU (already out at BC) or getting enough money from the three schools mentioned above to make them worth it.
Will these schools (Wash U especially) give me no shot at getting back to NY? I was under the impression (from TLS, my current LS adviser and admissions officers from both schools that I talked to) that I had at least a fighting chance.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:40 am

You have a fighting chance, but that's about it. You'd have to really kill 1L to get back to NY. That being said, despite the rankings increase, general TLS consensus is that WUSTL is overrated. It does not place significantly better than the other big Midwestern schools (Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana).

TLDR Go to Indiana.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:44 am

Indiana. Both schools have mediocre job prospects, so it will be best to keep debt down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:25 am

I would take Indiana with big scholly over WUSTL with smaller scholly if your goal is NYC. But if you get into Fordham, definitely Fordham. And obviously if you get into your reaches (which I really doubt), you should absolutely go to one of those over either WUSTL or Indiana.

FWIW, I go to WUSTL and love it. You definitely have a shot at NYC if you go here. But the shot is not that much greater than you would have at Indiana, and it probably does not make up for the cost difference. Did you apply to BU or BC?

NYCbound35

Bronze

Post by NYCbound35 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:33 am

romothesavior wrote:I would take Indiana with big scholly over WUSTL with smaller scholly if your goal is NYC. But if you get into Fordham, definitely Fordham. And obviously if you get into your reaches (which I really doubt), you should absolutely go to one of those over either WUSTL or Indiana.

FWIW, I go to WUSTL and love it. You definitely have a shot at NYC if you go here. But the shot is not that much greater than you would have at Indiana, and it probably does not make up for the cost difference. Did you apply to BU or BC?

I applied to both and got my first (and so far only) ding from BC. I also have WL at GW and UIUC, and still waiting on ND, Minn and Emory. I didn't want to convolute the discussion with speculation on these schools, so I just tried to limit the unknowns a bit.
What I was also trying to glean from this thread is whether I can show the Indiana offer to possibly get a bit more $ from Wash U (as in do they consider IUB a peer school/ are they willing to negotiate?). Nothing against Indiana, but I visited Wash U (the only law school that I have visited so far besides my alma mater) and before I left I had bought a Wash U law sweatshirt and car decal (I came to my senses on the plane ride and put them away once I got home...I hate people who wear school gear for schools that they don't go to). Everything just seemed perfect.
Is that feeling/slightly better NY placement worth $25k/year in scholarships? My guess is that the consensus will be no. But if that number is 10-15k different, then I am not so sure.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:You have a fighting chance, but that's about it. You'd have to really kill 1L to get back to NY. That being said, despite the rankings increase, general TLS consensus is that WUSTL is overrated. It does not place significantly better than the other big Midwestern schools (Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana).

TLDR Go to Indiana.

According to Indiana's website the class of '09 sent 7 students to New York while 50 from WUSTL took the NY bar. Some of that is undoubtedly self-selection, but that's a pretty big difference. Obviously Fordham is going to be better for New York if you get in, but I don't think it's fair to say that WUSTL doesn't place significantly better than other Midwestern schools. I wouldn't say it's better for the West/Midwest in general, but it does do pretty well back East.

http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/
http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA6929.pdf

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:37 am

Retake or reevaluate career goals.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 am

WassAnch wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:You have a fighting chance, but that's about it. You'd have to really kill 1L to get back to NY. That being said, despite the rankings increase, general TLS consensus is that WUSTL is overrated. It does not place significantly better than the other big Midwestern schools (Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana).

TLDR Go to Indiana.

According to Indiana's website the class of '09 sent 7 students to New York while 50 from WUSTL took the NY bar. Some of that is undoubtedly self-selection, but that's a pretty big difference. Obviously Fordham is going to be better for New York if you get in, but I don't think it's fair to say that WUSTL doesn't place significantly better than other Midwestern schools. I wouldn't say it's better for the West/Midwest in general, but it does do pretty well back East.

http://apps.law.indiana.edu/careers/where-are-they-now/
http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA6929.pdf
Significantly better than Notre Dame?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”