My merit aid negotiation strategy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
androstan

My merit aid negotiation strategy

Postby androstan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:45 pm

2.9/169

Accepted: AUWCL, GMU, GWU, UNH 35k/yr, IIT 15k/yr.

Waiting: BU, GULC (ED, pretty sure autoding)

I was thinking of telling AU and GMU that I got accepted to the other and that I really want to stay in DC (live and work in the area already) but am having "difficulty deciding". Gonna mention that my wife and I already have 100k in debt and money is tight etc. etc. etc. Hoping I can get a little $ from one of them. Then go to GWU and basically say the same thing. I got some help at X DC school, I love GWU and want to go there but it's so hard when you already have student debt, etc.

I'm wondering if I should mention the UNH scholarship, saying it's got a great IP reputation and, in our financial situation, might be the practical option (even though I would like to stay in DC, I have to make the responsible decision).

Any further suggestions/comments/critiques/etc.?

ran12

Re: My merit aid negotiation strategy

Postby ran12 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

androstan wrote:2.9/169

Accepted: AUWCL, GMU, GWU, UNH 35k/yr, IIT 15k/yr.

Waiting: BU, GULC (ED, pretty sure autoding)

I was thinking of telling AU and GMU that I got accepted to the other and that I really want to stay in DC (live and work in the area already) but am having "difficulty deciding". Gonna mention that my wife and I already have 100k in debt and money is tight etc. etc. etc. Hoping I can get a little $ from one of them. Then go to GWU and basically say the same thing. I got some help at X DC school, I love GWU and want to go there but it's so hard when you already have student debt, etc.

I'm wondering if I should mention the UNH scholarship, saying it's got a great IP reputation and, in our financial situation, might be the practical option (even though I would like to stay in DC, I have to make the responsible decision).

Any further suggestions/comments/critiques/etc.?

It would be really something if GW gave you money. GW will most likely not be willing to give more based on your other acceptances. As for the UNH money, GW won't negotiate based on that.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 pm

No one will rescind an offer for trying, it doesn't seem.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:48 pm

I've seen GMU on a list of 10 LEAST generous law schools. Also, I have heard from someone else on TLS, who claimed they spoke to the dean of admissions, that GMU is even shorter on money than usual this year. These facts might make negotiation with them difficult. That being said, I tried (unsuccessfully) already to negotiate with a school, and they were super nice about it. They basically said, "sorry, no," but they aren't going to revoke what they've already offered, so never hurts to ask. Good luck.

androstan

Postby androstan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:43 am

I didn't think GW would negotiate based on UNH 35k/yr, but was hoping they might throw a little change my way if I could tell them, truthfully, that American had done so.

Maybe AU will try to lure me away from GMU/GW with some $, then GWU will lure me away from AU with less $. Money's money.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:51 am

androstan wrote:I didn't think GW would negotiate based on UNH 35k/yr, but was hoping they might throw a little change my way if I could tell them, truthfully, that American had done so.

Maybe AU will try to lure me away from GMU/GW with some $, then GWU will lure me away from AU with less $. Money's money.

I talked to GW about money with an acceptance from GULC. They don't negotiate. PM me for more.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”