Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SwampRat88
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby SwampRat88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:29 pm

.
Last edited by SwampRat88 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby mpj_3050 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:41 pm

UK isn't worth anything remotely close to 85k in debt. What are the Louisville stipulations, if any?

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:16 pm

The conventional TLS wisdom is to go with the higher ranked school, but in this case I think Louisville is the better choice.

Neither school will give you a ton of geographic flexibility right out of school. A UK degree will give you great purchase all through the state of Kentucky (and some purchase in Cincy), while Louisville will really give you great purchase only within Louisville itself. The catch here is that, if do not have ties to any particular part of Kentucky, then Louisville is really the only place you want to be. Kentucky's better placement in other parts of the state is probably worthless to you. For this reason, I think it makes more sense for you to be at U of L with your s/o.












Also:

GO CARDS

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Lil' Blizz
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby Lil' Blizz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:34 pm

I say this as a student at UofL who was also accepted at UK, so of course there will be some bias here. UK was certainly appealing, as it has its advantages also. But I chose UofL for a variety of reasons, but the biggest reason was that I knew I wanted to stay in Kentucky, and so it only made sense to live in Louisville.

Louisville is honestly an outstanding school in many ways. It's really a shame how this site portrays it as sub-par institution because it's completely unwarranted. The professors' doors are always open, and I mean that almost literally. This was a huge surprise from undergrad, and it's nice to be able to just pop in for a quick question on the statute of frauds when you're getting stuck in the library. I absolutely love that about this school. (And as an aside, don't forget that Louisville grads have outperformed UK grads in the state bar in recent years. Not a dispositive fact of much, but it's certainly telling of something...)

As for UK, it won't give you any advantage unless you stay in Lexington, and only then it's because most of the alum stay in Lexington so the hiring partner prefers to choose from his/her school. Don't be fooled into believing that UK, because of its arbitrarily higher ranking, somehow is more "prestigious" than Louisville. It'd be a completely different issue if UK were ranked in the 20s or lower, but it's not. It's a state school, just like Louisville, but with slightly higher ranking thanks to its undergraduate name. Go talk to any hiring partner at the large firms downtown in Louisville and they'll tell you the same thing: top 10%-15% from either school is apples to apples. Outside of that neither school will give you an edge because you just lost out to Vandy, WUSTL, IU, or Notre Dame. UK in no way gives you the edge, unless (like I said) you're in Lexington.

Bottom line: if two equally average-looking girls want to have sex with you, one with slightly bigger tits than the other but she wants you to buy her drinks all night, while the other with slightly smaller tits has already called the cab and ordered a pizza for the ride home, only a fool would go with the average-looking bitch who thinks she deserves a drink.

But if the hottest girl on campus grabs your hand as you're leaving and asks why you're leaving so soon, leave Louisville in the cab and fuck Vandy's sticker all night.

User avatar
bizjunkie4
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby bizjunkie4 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Lil' Blizz wrote:I say this as a student at UofL who was also accepted at UK, so of course there will be some bias here. UK was certainly appealing, as it has its advantages also. But I chose UofL for a variety of reasons, but the biggest reason was that I knew I wanted to stay in Kentucky, and so it only made sense to live in Louisville.

Louisville is honestly an outstanding school in many ways. It's really a shame how this site portrays it as sub-par institution because it's completely unwarranted. The professors' doors are always open, and I mean that almost literally. This was a huge surprise from undergrad, and it's nice to be able to just pop in for a quick question on the statute of frauds when you're getting stuck in the library. I absolutely love that about this school. (And as an aside, don't forget that Louisville grads have outperformed UK grads in the state bar in recent years. Not a dispositive fact of much, but it's certainly telling of something...)

As for UK, it won't give you any advantage unless you stay in Lexington, and only then it's because most of the alum stay in Lexington so the hiring partner prefers to choose from his/her school. Don't be fooled into believing that UK, because of its arbitrarily higher ranking, somehow is more "prestigious" than Louisville. It'd be a completely different issue if UK were ranked in the 20s or lower, but it's not. It's a state school, just like Louisville, but with slightly higher ranking thanks to its undergraduate name. Go talk to any hiring partner at the large firms downtown in Louisville and they'll tell you the same thing: top 10%-15% from either school is apples to apples. Outside of that neither school will give you an edge because you just lost out to Vandy, WUSTL, IU, or Notre Dame. UK in no way gives you the edge, unless (like I said) you're in Lexington.

Bottom line: if two equally average-looking girls want to have sex with you, one with slightly bigger tits than the other but she wants you to buy her drinks all night, while the other with slightly smaller tits has already called the cab and ordered a pizza for the ride home, only a fool would go with the average-looking bitch who thinks she deserves a drink.

But if the hottest girl on campus grabs your hand as you're leaving and asks why you're leaving so soon, leave Louisville in the cab and fuck Vandy's sticker all night.


Very interesting analysis. Not sure I agree with the wording, but the premise sounds about right. I am a 2L at Louisville. In addition to this poster's comment, I would add that you should pick U of L if you want to remain in a relationship with your SO. With one person in med school and the other in law school, you need to make things as easy as possible. The schools are close enough in prestige and quality that this is the tiebreaker, at least in my mind.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Lil' Blizz wrote:As for UK, it won't give you any advantage unless you stay in Lexington, and only then it's because most of the alum stay in Lexington so the hiring partner prefers to choose from his/her school. Don't be fooled into believing that UK, because of its arbitrarily higher ranking, somehow is more "prestigious" than Louisville. It'd be a completely different issue if UK were ranked in the 20s or lower, but it's not. It's a state school, just like Louisville, but with slightly higher ranking thanks to its undergraduate name. Go talk to any hiring partner at the large firms downtown in Louisville and they'll tell you the same thing: top 10%-15% from either school is apples to apples. Outside of that neither school will give you an edge because you just lost out to Vandy, WUSTL, IU, or Notre Dame. UK in no way gives you the edge, unless (like I said) you're in Lexington.

This isn't true. UK gives you an edge almost everywhere in Kentucky other than Louisville. It's just that hardly anyone wants to work anywhere except Louisville and Lexington.

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby imbored25 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:21 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:29 pm

imbored25 wrote:--ImageRemoved--


Sure, if you really want to go to a school that gets rocked by UF.

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby imbored25 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Kentucky basketball:
NCAA Tournament champions
1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998
NCAA Tournament runner up
1966, 1975, 1997
Conference tournament champions
1921, 1933, 1937, 1939, 1940, 1942, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1984, 1986, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2010 (Note: There was no SEC tourney from 1953-1978.)
Conference regular season champions
1926, 1932, 1933, 1935, 1937, 1939, 1940, 1942, 1944, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010

Florida basketball:
NCAA Tournament champions
2006, 2007
NCAA Tournament runner up
2000
Conference tournament champions
2005, 2006, 2007
Conference regular season champions
1989, 2000, 2001, 2007

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Value of Calipari's contract: $31.6 million
2011 conference record vs. SEC: 4-4

Does that seem right to you? He could at least have you guys not losing two in a row to UF and Ole Miss.

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby imbored25 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:06 pm

lol im not a kentucky fan man, its all good. i was just pointing out that its a much better basketball program than florida. calipari is a douche.

User avatar
johnnyutah
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 pm

imbored25 wrote:lol im not a kentucky fan man, its all good. i was just pointing out that its a much better basketball program than florida. calipari is a douche.

No doubt. But as a red-souled Cardinals fan, I gotta jump on UK whenever they slip up :mrgreen:

imbored25
Posts: 361
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby imbored25 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:27 am

haha completely acceptable dude

also, op: in your case louisville is probably the better option, my earlier post was based simply on basketball.

User avatar
Lil' Blizz
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby Lil' Blizz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:29 am

johnnyutah wrote:
Lil' Blizz wrote:As for UK, it won't give you any advantage unless you stay in Lexington, and only then it's because most of the alum stay in Lexington so the hiring partner prefers to choose from his/her school. Don't be fooled into believing that UK, because of its arbitrarily higher ranking, somehow is more "prestigious" than Louisville. It'd be a completely different issue if UK were ranked in the 20s or lower, but it's not. It's a state school, just like Louisville, but with slightly higher ranking thanks to its undergraduate name. Go talk to any hiring partner at the large firms downtown in Louisville and they'll tell you the same thing: top 10%-15% from either school is apples to apples. Outside of that neither school will give you an edge because you just lost out to Vandy, WUSTL, IU, or Notre Dame. UK in no way gives you the edge, unless (like I said) you're in Lexington.

This isn't true. UK gives you an edge almost everywhere in Kentucky other than Louisville. It's just that hardly anyone wants to work anywhere except Louisville and Lexington.


You obviously must think Kentucky ends at the Jefferson and Fayette county lines. Bear in mind that outside of Louisville and Lexington, we have what are called "counties." If you're practicing anywhere in the state that isn't Lexington or Louisville, it really doesn't matter at all because at that point, it completely depends on who you know. So if you're wanting to clerk for some judge down in south central Kentucky, UK will have no advantage over Louisville unless he's a UK alum. Keep in mind also that the counties are also swarming with NKU Chase alums, and they take care of their own as well.

Like I said, it really only boils down to the two major legal markets in the state, Louisville and Lexington. If you're an out-of-stater coming here, you need to know up front which of the two cities you want to stay in. I'm not saying a UK degree doesn't hold value in Louisville, far from it. My point is just that it gives you no clear edge over Louisville inside the state.

As odd as it sounds, UK will give you the edge outside of the state, since the name carries far better than UofL. I'll certainly admit that, and had I wanted to practice in Cinci or Nashville, then I might have reconsidered. But then again, at that point you're competing with the in-state favorite regional school, and so a UK degree really doesn't have that much muscle.

I don't know, I just think for anyone who wants to stay in Kentucky, and who knows for sure they don't want to live in Lexington, Louisville just seems like the better choice. Granted, I got a little cash to come here, but not much. And looking back on it I probably would have chosen Louisville anyway.
Last edited by Lil' Blizz on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Louisville($) vs University of Kentucky

Postby dr123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 am

Lil' Blizz wrote:
Bottom line: if two equally average-looking girls want to have sex with you, one with slightly bigger tits than the other but she wants you to buy her drinks all night, while the other with slightly smaller tits has already called the cab and ordered a pizza for the ride home, only a fool would go with the average-looking bitch who thinks she deserves a drink.

But if the hottest girl on campus grabs your hand as you're leaving and asks why you're leaving so soon, leave Louisville in the cab and fuck Vandy's sticker all night.


LOL that was good




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nimbus cloud, obx, Socratease, Wipfelder and 4 guests