Full-Ride at T30 vs. Sticker T6

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Re: Full-Ride at T30 vs. Sticker T6

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Difficult to offer an opinion without knowing the schools in question & your career goals.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Difficult to offer an opinion without knowing the schools in question & your career goals.

All of this info is in the thread or is easily deduced.

A&O

Postby A&O » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:26 pm

OP wants to do corporate law, not just law. If OP just wanted to do any sort of law, UGA would be the clear choice. Since he wants to do corporate law, CCN is the clear choice. Telling him to take UGA is akin to telling him to take a full ride at a dental school.

Clearly, the middle ground would be a substantial scholarship at a T10 school, and the probability of this happening is high. But just between these two options, with the goal of corporate law in view, CCN is the clear choice. If OP was OK doing a job he didn't want to do in the first place, without debt, why go to law school at all?

financial regulation, or do corporate law

There are only a handful of firms handling financial regulation work, which I assume you mean to be regulatory work arising from the financial crisis. None of those firms hires from UGA.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Where do you want to be more risk averse, job prospects or debt load? That's what it boils down to. The worst case scenario is at CCN (have to take some non legal govt. or non profit job for 10 years paying 15% of your check to the govt.) and the best case scenario is probably at UGA (#1 in your class, little debt and making fat scrilla). I honestly don't know what I would do. I might lean towards UGA with free tuition with the intention of dropping out after a year to find another career path if my grades stunk. T13 with some money is probably the ideal situation here so hopefully that becomes an option.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

eskimo wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Difficult to offer an opinion without knowing the schools in question & your career goals.

STFU

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:06 pm

MrKappus wrote:
eskimo wrote:

STFU

lol

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:40 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
zonto wrote:From my understanding, LRAP is only for public service jobs, not financial regulation or corporate law.

Is there any downside to waiting and seeing what else comes your way before these deadlines OP?

(1) If you don't get big law, then you're probably not going to be doing financial regulatory stuff.

(2) LRAP's (typically) cover government service and there are many federal and state regulators.

Is it possible to aim for biglaw your whole law school career, miss, and still get a government job and LRAP?

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:If you want to live in the region the school is in and never move, take the scholarship.

If not, take CCN.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:46 pm

pereira6 wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
zonto wrote:From my understanding, LRAP is only for public service jobs, not financial regulation or corporate law.

Is there any downside to waiting and seeing what else comes your way before these deadlines OP?

(1) If you don't get big law, then you're probably not going to be doing financial regulatory stuff.

(2) LRAP's (typically) cover government service and there are many federal and state regulators.

Is it possible to aim for biglaw your whole law school career, miss, and still get a government job and LRAP?

Its possible depending on your field. I'm fairly succesfully straddling the line because I'm aiming for a specific area that has both government and firm possibilities.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Drake014 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Its possible depending on your field. I'm fairly succesfully straddling the line because I'm aiming for a specific area that has both government and firm possibilities.

This matters to me a lot on my personal decision for $$$ at Illinois or sticker at CCNMVP. I'm fairly certain I will not pay sticker price for a chance at biglaw (which I want for future career goals, not because OMG biglaw $$$) just because that "chance" at biglaw is still surprisingly low at the CCNMVP compared to what it used to be. I don't want to F myself with a bad private firm job AND no LRAP because its not public sector.

I always understood either you aim your education towards private/corporate work or public work. I had no idea you could aim for biglaw and still get a public sector job (read: LRAP) right out of law school. That might make the risk a little more bearable.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:07 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

This matters to me a lot on my personal decision for $$$ at Illinois or sticker at CCNMVP. I'm fairly certain I will not pay sticker price for a chance at biglaw (which I want for future career goals, not because OMG biglaw $$$) just because that "chance" at biglaw is still surprisingly low at the CCNMVP compared to what it used to be. I don't want to F myself with a bad private firm job AND no LRAP because its not public sector.

I always understood either you aim your education towards private/corporate work or public work. I had no idea you could aim for biglaw and still get a public sector job (read: LRAP) right out of law school. That might make the risk a little more bearable.

My focus right now is mainly antitrust. I've got an antitrust externship with the government and then a firm job in antitrust over the summer. I'm also trying for a masters in economics (which relates to antritrust). Given my focus, I've been told by the people that I've spoken to in government that I would still be taken very seriously applying for a government position SHOULD one become available.

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks for the helpful responses everybody. I have been raised in south GA my entire life, and I like it here. However, I've always been one of those country boys with big city dreams. If not for that, I'd take the money and run. Also, I think it's correct (thank you, Eskimo) to say there might not be a credited response to this question. I'm thinking I'll just have to wait it out and see what the final haul is. However, you've all given me some useful stuff to think about. Hope I can return the favor in the future.

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm

UGA is a solid school with great clerkship opportunities within the state.

W8tnsee

Postby W8tnsee » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

What about GW with a big scholarship vs. Penn or UVa?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Ragged wrote:
romothesavior wrote:T6. The only way I would consider the full ride over a T6 would be if you had a full ride to a lower T14, and even then I'd probably still take the T6.

Same.

Full ride at T14 >> sticker at CCN

Full at t14 is probably still better than YHS, but thats more of a risk reward choice. I'd take Darrow over Yale for what I want to do.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Wow. I thought ITE would have taught people to take the more debt-averse option (i.e., full ride at a lower T14 over HYS full price), but I guess I was wrong.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:51 pm

A&O wrote:Wow. I thought ITE would have taught people to take the more debt-averse option (i.e., full ride at a lower T14 over HYS full price), but I guess I was wrong.

The majority of people on here have no concept of debt, let alone 6 figures of it. You can't expect them to be as responsive to the whole ITE thing as people who have more experience with debt (FYI I don't claim to be among them). I hate to generalize, but there is no point denying the obvious.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 pm

dakatz wrote:
A&O wrote:Wow. I thought ITE would have taught people to take the more debt-averse option (i.e., full ride at a lower T14 over HYS full price), but I guess I was wrong.

The majority of people on here have no concept of debt, let alone 6 figures of it. You can't expect them to be as responsive to the whole ITE thing as people who have more experience with debt (FYI I don't claim to be among them). I hate to generalize, but there is no point denying the obvious.

I suppose. I ended up with a top firm job, but I'll be paying off some loans for a while. Friend of mine took a full ride at a T14. Not working at a top firm, but still making market. I wonder who's laughing at whom.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:57 pm

A&O wrote:
dakatz wrote:

I suppose. I ended up with a top firm job, but I'll be paying off some loans for a while. Friend of mine took a full ride at a T14. Not working at a top firm, but still making market. I wonder who's laughing at whom.

I get what you mean. People didn't even believe me when I told them, but I know 2 lawyers from Harvard (recent grads), and both of them said they would have taken full rides from lower T-14 schools if they could do it over, since they could save over 100K, and still probably end up with a similar job. But of course even a large debt load will be manageable with a top firm job, so you are still in quite the enviable position.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:00 pm

150K is a lot of fucking money especially when you are paying it back in after tax income.

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:150K is a lot of fucking money especially when you are paying it back in after tax income.

Don't forget interest, especially grad plus interest.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:04 pm

As long as you feel that you are committed enough to do >50% at the T6 then ABSOLUTELY T6. IMO.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:As long as you feel that you are committed enough to do >50% at the T6 then ABSOLUTELY T6. IMO.

You don't think that 100% of the student body at that T6 feels committed enough to land in the top 50%?

A&O

Postby A&O » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:05 pm

As long as you feel that you are committed enough to do >50% at the T6 then ABSOLUTELY T6. IMO.

...as opposed to the T6 law student not committed enough to do better than half of the class? I want to meet this person.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:06 pm

A&O wrote:

...as opposed to the T6 law student not committed enough to do better than half of the class? I want to meet this person.

They exist, but they don't always end up in the bottom half.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”