Full-Ride at T30 vs. Sticker T6 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
markdyoung

New

Full-Ride at T30 vs. Sticker T6

Post by markdyoung » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:17 am

This is what I'm looking at so far. I've been offered a full-ride at my home-state university (T30 school w/ low COL). Also, was admitted to a T6 (not HYS). Originally applied to state-school as a safety, but all the talk about the collapsed legal market, soul-crushing loans, debt collectors breaking your knee-caps, etc., has really made me nervous. Assuming no scholly from T6, which should I choose. My initial interest in law is to work in financial regulation, or do corporate law, but I'm a 0L so I honestly don't know shit. What you think?

2011Law

Silver

Re: Full-Ride at T30 vs. Sticker T6

Post by 2011Law » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:20 am

Just between those two options, I'd go with CCN. If you are really debt adverse, I'd imagine there is some more in-between options at some lower t14 schools and the rest of t14-20.

markdyoung

New

Post by markdyoung » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 am

Yeah, I applied to two of MVP and have heard absolutely nothing, but no schools lower than those (except the safety school). Maybe should have considered debt aversion a little more, but really didn't think that much into it until faced with the actual decision. Guess I could keep waiting out the cycle and see what the final tally is.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 am

Useless we know the t30, honestly. The t30 is a volatile range.

Edit: For instance, full ride at UCLA becomes a question of confidence and how much you want New York Big law. Full ride at UCLA is better than sticker at NYU or Columbia if the nine hour days, six or seven days a week model of Biglaw doesn't appeal to you.

markdyoung

New

Post by markdyoung » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:16 am

Yeah, that makes sense. The T30 is UGA, which doesn't really get discussed much on here, but seems to be a strong regional school. Don't know if this helps much, but thanks for the replies. Help is always appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Do you want to work in ATL or another southern market? If not, take the T6 and never look back.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 pm

I had a similar situation last year in that I had a nearly full-ride from some T25 schools, as well as a sticker offer from a T6. Went with the T25 school since I couldn't stomach the idea of being 200K+ in debt, plus the T25 was in the region I wanted to work (which the T6 was not). I should also add that biglaw is not my sole focus with regard to job prospects. If that is your absolute goal, then the T6 probably makes more sense.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:50 pm

It's not necessarily a bad decision to choose UGA free over CCN at full price--depends on what you want out of law school and your tolerance for debt. But with a 175/3.8, you probably could have gotten (or will get) significant scholarships at some top 20 or even t14 schools.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:52 pm

markdyoung wrote:Yeah, I applied to two of MVP and have heard absolutely nothing, but no schools lower than those (except the safety school). Maybe should have considered debt aversion a little more, but really didn't think that much into it until faced with the actual decision. Guess I could keep waiting out the cycle and see what the final tally is.
There's still time to apply wherever. I haven't even sent in any of my applications yet. For as worried as you seem about the debt, its hard to believe you haven't applied to anything in between MVP and Georgia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:56 pm

markdyoung wrote:This is what I'm looking at so far. I've been offered a full-ride at my home-state university (T30 school w/ low COL). Also, was admitted to a T6 (not HYS). Originally applied to state-school as a safety, but all the talk about the collapsed legal market, soul-crushing loans, debt collectors breaking your knee-caps, etc., has really made me nervous. Assuming no scholly from T6, which should I choose. My initial interest in law is to work in financial regulation, or do corporate law, but I'm a 0L so I honestly don't know shit. What you think?
Most people on TLS will advise taking the highest ranked school and paying sticker. This is because they're young and stupid and know nothing about life. Take the free ride since you said it was a good regional school (I assume this means you're happy with the region its in)

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:57 pm

If you want to live in the region the school is in and never move, take the scholarship.

If not, take CCN.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:If you want to live in the region the school is in and never move, take the scholarship.

If not, take CCN.
Never move? Come on. After he's worked as a lawyer for a few years he'll probably be able to get job opportunities elsewhere depending on his field.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:If you want to live in the region the school is in and never move, take the scholarship.

If not, take CCN.
Never move? Come on. After he's worked as a lawyer for a few years he'll probably be able to get job opportunities elsewhere depending on his field.
Are you saying this from experience? People always make it seem like it's astoundingly difficult to move from one market to another unless you had a pretty "elite" job.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:18 pm

Drake014 wrote:
markdyoung wrote:This is what I'm looking at so far. I've been offered a full-ride at my home-state university (T30 school w/ low COL). Also, was admitted to a T6 (not HYS). Originally applied to state-school as a safety, but all the talk about the collapsed legal market, soul-crushing loans, debt collectors breaking your knee-caps, etc., has really made me nervous. Assuming no scholly from T6, which should I choose. My initial interest in law is to work in financial regulation, or do corporate law, but I'm a 0L so I honestly don't know shit. What you think?
Most people on TLS will advise taking the highest ranked school and paying sticker. This is because they're young and stupid and know nothing about life. Take the free ride since you said it was a good regional school (I assume this means you're happy with the region its in)
TITCR, I can't believe anyone would even suggest otherwise. Take the full ride at UGA and the worst case scenerio is you never find a legal job in GA or anywhere else and you lost 3 years of wages you could have earned while in law school. If you go to CCN, the worst case scenerio is you end up with $200k of debt that cannot be discharged, and you never find a legal job, and lost 3 years of wages.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:24 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Do you want to work in ATL or another southern market? If not, take the T6 and never look back.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Drake014 wrote:
odd post, considering nearly everyone in this thread has either suggested otherwise, or said the decision depends on the OP's goals

hmmm

cinephile wrote: TITCR, I can't believe anyone would even suggest otherwise.
me either! especially since almost no one in this thread has suggested otherwise (besides sort of the first responder)
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:29 pm

There isn't a "credited" response to this question - it all depends on OP. OP - if you don't mind going to school, living, and working in Georgia/the south, go to UGA for free. If you're undecided, I think you should go to CCN.

For what it's worth, I have already gotten a full ride + stipend at my state school (very comparable to UGA, another big SEC school) and have gotten into a T6. There is absolutely a 0% chance I'm taking the full ride. It's just not worth it to me to be stuck here after graduation.

Full disclosure: I am from the south/was born and raised here but I hate it, so that is playing a large role in my decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:32 pm

T6. The only way I would consider the full ride over a T6 would be if you had a full ride to a lower T14, and even then I'd probably still take the T6.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:33 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: odd post, considering nearly everyone in this thread has either suggested otherwise, or said the decision depends on the OP's goals
Give it time, grasshopper. Give it time.

Better yet. Poll.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Drake014 wrote:
When talking about a T6 versus a T30, I say go with the T6. I'm not young, stupid, nor ignorant about life (6+ years WE). The opportunities of any T14 versus a T30 are huge. Example - while getting DC out of any school isn't easy, it's far easier to get a DC job out of a T6 or T14 than a T30. Another example - clerking - it's not easy to get a clerkship, but it's far easier to get one out of a T6 than a T30. Final example - academia - good luck becoming a prof without going to a T14 (at least).

Look, $200k is a lot of debt. Yet, all the T14's have strong LRAP programs. It's not as large of a gamble as some people here will have you believe.

Edit - also, OP says he has an interest in financial regulation/transactional work. At a T6, he has a reasonable shot at V10. At a T30, it is a far, far more difficult goal.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Drake014 wrote:This is because they're young and stupid and know nothing about life.
You're an asshole. HTH

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Drake014 wrote:This is because they're young and stupid and know nothing about life.
You're an asshole. HTH
Now that just hurts my feelings. Is it something I said?

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 pm

From my understanding, LRAP is only for public service jobs, not financial regulation or corporate law.

Is there any downside to waiting and seeing what else comes your way before these deadlines OP?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:57 pm

zonto wrote:From my understanding, LRAP is only for public service jobs, not financial regulation or corporate law.

Is there any downside to waiting and seeing what else comes your way before these deadlines OP?
(1) If you don't get big law, then you're probably not going to be doing financial regulatory stuff.

(2) LRAP's (typically) cover government service and there are many federal and state regulators.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:T6. The only way I would consider the full ride over a T6 would be if you had a full ride to a lower T14, and even then I'd probably still take the T6.
Same.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”