seattle u vs. bc

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
luckyme

seattle u vs. bc

Postby luckyme » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:29 pm

which would you choose and why?
Last edited by luckyme on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Re: full-ride @ seattle u. vs. 15k/yr. at BC

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:31 pm

luckyme wrote:which would you choose and why?

BC.

Why? Because I went to SU undergrad and that school sucks the life right out of you. Plus, if you want to get a job, you're going to have to do really well at SU.

But Seattle is an awesome city, to be fair. Boston is cool, too, though, from what I hear.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:32 pm

NZA wrote:

BC.

Why? Because I went to SU undergrad and that school sucks the life right out of you. Plus, if you want to get a job, you're going to have to do really well at SU.

But Seattle is an awesome city, to be fair. Boston is cool, too, though, from what I hear.

how does it suck the life right out of you?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Where do you want to live/work?

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:36 pm

luckyme wrote:
NZA wrote:

BC.

Well, you essentially have a ton of people there who are really into themselves. They say they are concerned about the poor, or nature, or immigrants, or some other social cause, but they're all resume builders. It's depressing as hell. The first year or so was pretty great, but after that, I just resigned myself to being morbidly uncomfortable around most everyone except my friends.

Plus, the undergrad administration sucks.

But, to talk up some positives, you're on Capitol Hill, which is awesome. The law school's building is fantastic, WA hasn't been hit too hard by the recession, and I hear firms in the area have not suffered as much. I think UW Law grads have the advantage when it comes to jobs, but I don't think that advantage is insurmountable for a dedicated SU student.

Hmm...not much else to add. The law library is a great place to study in. I went in their a couple times with a friend to study when the law school was on break (SU undergrad is on quarters, the law school, semesters). They have some pretty interesting lectures, etc., too.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Where do you want to live/work?

not sure; i live in boston but i've heard seattle is v. nice

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

luckyme wrote:

LOL don't go to Seattle if you've never even been there. Your job prospects will be severly limited to the Seattle area, and on top of that, every thing I've seen says that particular market is extremely xenophobic.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
luckyme wrote:

LOL don't go to Seattle if you've never even been there. Your job prospects will be severly limited to the Seattle area, and on top of that, every thing I've seen says that particular market is extremely xenophobic.

Cf. my avatar

Seattle is glorious. Come visit first, because if you don't like it, you'll be stuck there, or at least somewhere in Western Washington/Oregon.

EDIT: OP, just PM me if you want more info. I'll stop spamming this thread. :P

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:47 pm

flame

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:56 pm

mez06 wrote:flame

k :|

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 pm

NZA wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
luckyme wrote:

Cf. my avatar

Seattle is glorious. Come visit first, because if you don't like it, you'll be stuck there, or at least somewhere in Western Washington/Oregon.

EDIT: OP, just PM me if you want more info. I'll stop spamming this thread. :P

Thanks for detailed responses. I think I'm good for now :)

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:30 pm

If it was me, I'd take BC. SU is not poorly regarded here or anything, but UW pretty much owns this town. However, the SU law school is new and nice if you haven't seen it. I think you could definitely make a case for SU with $$$ over BC with $ though if you are absolutely certain you would like to work in Seattle. I also agree that Seattle is xenophobic.

autoding

Postby autoding » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:19 pm

NZA wrote:
luckyme wrote:
NZA wrote:

BC.

Well, you essentially have a ton of people there who are really into themselves. They say they are concerned about the poor, or nature, or immigrants, or some other social cause, but they're all resume builders. It's depressing as hell. The first year or so was pretty great, but after that, I just resigned myself to being morbidly uncomfortable around most everyone except my friends.

Plus, the undergrad administration sucks.

But, to talk up some positives, you're on Capitol Hill, which is awesome. The law school's building is fantastic, WA hasn't been hit too hard by the recession, and I hear firms in the area have not suffered as much. I think UW Law grads have the advantage when it comes to jobs, but I don't think that advantage is insurmountable for a dedicated SU student.

Hmm...not much else to add. The law library is a great place to study in. I went in their a couple times with a friend to study when the law school was on break (SU undergrad is on quarters, the law school, semesters). They have some pretty interesting lectures, etc., too.

I don't think the environment at SU undergrad is very relevant to a decision whether to attend SU Law School.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:22 pm

OP - it really comes down to where you want to live and work after school. FWIW, I live in Boston. Seattle is a nice city to visit but west coasters are really really strange and my northeast self couldn't live there. You really don't want to lock yourself into Seattle without ever having spent time there. You could love it or hate it and you'd have a hard time getting a job elsewhere.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 pm

paratactical wrote:Seattle is a nice city to visit but west coasters are really really strange....

Pemco agrees.

http://www.werealotlikeyou.com/

EDIT: I like Profile #65 especially. And OP might look at #100.
Last edited by NZA on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:26 pm

paratactical wrote:OP - it really comes down to where you want to live and work after school. FWIW, I live in Boston. Seattle is a nice city to visit but west coasters are really really strange and my northeast self couldn't live there. You really don't want to lock yourself into Seattle without ever having spent time there. You could love it or hate it and you'd have a hard time getting a job elsewhere.

Shouldn't there be other options? a full ride is hard to turn down ITE.

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:29 pm

OP just curious, when did you get your scholarship offer from BC?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:36 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
paratactical wrote:OP - it really comes down to where you want to live and work after school. FWIW, I live in Boston. Seattle is a nice city to visit but west coasters are really really strange and my northeast self couldn't live there. You really don't want to lock yourself into Seattle without ever having spent time there. You could love it or hate it and you'd have a hard time getting a job elsewhere.

What do you mean other options? The other options would be whatever other schools the OP applied to and received admittance or not going to law school this cycle.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:38 pm

paratactical wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:

What do you mean other options? The other options would be whatever other schools the OP applied to and received admittance or not going to law school this cycle.

It was a Q for the OP, not you. Didn't mean to confuse. I just mean 15K at BC, full ride at Seattle seems a little odd. Did OP apply to any other northeastern schools around Seattle's rank? I'm looking for other full rides in more relevant geographic locations. I dunno.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:39 pm

You go to the city you want to work in. Do you have family connections to one town or the other? You go there. Neither school is a destination school. In other words, you do not pick up and move across country to Seattle if you have not really spent a lot of time there and have only one friend from college there. You do such a thing for a T14 but not Seattle or BC.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”