Place holder deposit before all acceptances/rejections

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jinxmelucky22

Place holder deposit before all acceptances/rejections

Postby jinxmelucky22 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:30 pm

I haven't been able to find any answer to this question so hopefully somebody can help me out.

I got accepted into a school that requires me to pay a deposit to reserve my place in the class or tell them I will not be attending by April. I know that many schools do not offer all the acceptances until May or June. If I haven't heard from all of my schools by April, will I be bound to the school I send my deposit to? If I am waitlisted and then accepted into another school after paying my deposit can I change my mind and decline to attend after I already agreed to attend?

sanjola

Re: Place holder deposit before all acceptances/rejections

Postby sanjola » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:47 pm

I believe you can withdraw from a school even after the first deposit. It is only in place to secure your seat, but it is not binding. Granted you will lose the money, but it is worth it in case you don't get into a more desirable school.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 pm

jinxmelucky22 wrote:I haven't been able to find any answer to this question so hopefully somebody can help me out.

I got accepted into a school that requires me to pay a deposit to reserve my place in the class or tell them I will not be attending by April. I know that many schools do not offer all the acceptances until May or June. If I haven't heard from all of my schools by April, will I be bound to the school I send my deposit to? If I am waitlisted and then accepted into another school after paying my deposit can I change my mind and decline to attend after I already agreed to attend?

A deposit isn't really you agreeing to attend it's just you saving yourself a spot in their class. If you get an acceptance to a different school you can change your mind and tell them that you're not attending but you will lose the deposit.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:47 pm

you can withdraw from school any time you want from now until the day you graduate. Just send them the deposit and hold off on paying the tuition bill.

jinxmelucky22

Postby jinxmelucky22 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks so much guys! I was really confused about this!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”